When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Rail Dial, my new toy

FxrAndy

Well this one just arrived yesterday, in different packages and then it was a long night at the bench modding and putting it all togther, my way. Like a 78 rail dial (the MBW serial number matches for that year just about)

A bit like this one here but newer and better

78raildial.jpg

DSCF3236.jpg

As you all know i like my watches to look new ish or old but well looked after, and in particualar usable all the time.

I had been collecting parts for this one for a few months and as soon as I had all the major parts I had to get to work on it, in particular I wanted the He valve to look real, Now i had toyed with the idea of making a gen style one on the lathe but then I thought it is a rep it will never be asked to work as I will never be in a helium rich over pressure enviroment so what could I do just to make it look different (and to be honest i dont think i have) I drilled out the old He Valve area in the MBW case and then turned a 1.65mm plug of SS, polished and domed the top and glued it in to the case so that it was more recessed then the MBW, well my wife cant tell the difference from before and after the two hours work, ( have you ever tryed to drill on top of a dome dead in the center) What do you think?

16652.jpg

DSCF3237.jpg

Any difference?

A gen for comparison

valvefitted.jpg

Any way the rest of the build and parts used

Modded MBW old school case with:-

Lugs drilled, gen spring bars

Modded CGs

Modded He Valve area

Gen Tube and Crown (need a new crown as the threads are on the way out on this one)

Clarks T39 crystal (and this is pretty damn close to the gen T39 service crystal)

ETA 2846 21600 movement, just serviced, MBW silver DWO, with Hacking lever added (quick set date still fitted)

Ingod Rail Dial relumed by me (not my best work i have to admit)

TC hands (and wow are these close to gen and with great lume, fit and ETA perfectly)

Currently on 503b endlinks with a 6248 clasp and 7021 links, but it looks fine from the out side, all polished to remove the sharpe edges, cleaned rebrushed and re cleaned for that silky feel like prom queens thigh!

Now i just need to improve that pearl, pick up a 93150 josh bracelet and get a new crown and let it age on my wrist

So some more pics

DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3238.jpg

DSCF3239.jpg

DSCF3241.jpg

I know it is not the right case back but oh well

The photo all the purist will hate but this is a comparison with my gen 1680 with lumi dial

DSCF3242.jpg

And finaly the wrist shot

16651.jpg

I would like to than the following people who help with this build in selling, or donating parts

TC, DenimHead, Highoeyazmuhudee, My wife and all of RWG for the knowledge i have learnt over the past 8 years to enable me to complete this work.

Andy

• Like 7

Beautiful Andy, all that hard work has paid off. It looks very genuine.

As for your hev work, that's a 100% improvement! Mine is with Jmb getting a Phong hev installed soon. Yours is a huge improvement!

What crown did you install? On your wrist shot it looks very thin like a 702 :)

Congrats and enjoy that fine SeaDweller.

Thanks woof Thank M

by the way still loving those boots, I think i will be need a second pair soon (try the thinner fitting)

When ever your ready mate, try a neoprene arch support insole in them, it should raise your foot quite a bit. Anyone reading this is going to get very confused!

+1 Andy. Lume should be gone for a while now....

Other then that, what more can I add to what as already been said :clap2:

Congrats Andy !

Yes, yes i fully agree that the original tritium would not glow any more, but if i could afford a 1665 rail dial gen then i could afford to replace the dial with a luminover dial so that i could use the watch 24 hours a day, even my 1680 gen has a luminova dial and i wear it for work almost every day so if this was gen it would glow as well.

Oh and you beat me to reds bracelet today ;) can i have an option to buy it when you want to move it on?

You do know that you are to blame ultimatly!!!!!

If it was not for your original rolex collection i would never have built my first 1680! and then bought the gen and then went on to build more!!!!!!! so it is all your fault, so it is your round first in Sweden ;)