When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me buy a laptop?

kingkaiser

Hi All,

Thinking of buying a new laptop soon, and i've narrowed down my choices to the following two:

Lenovo Ideapad z580A, using an i5-3210m processor @2.5Ghz, 6GB RAM, and an nVidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB processor

HP Pavillion G6-2080, with an i7-3612QM @2.1Ghz, 6GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 7670M with 1GB dedicated video ram.

The CPU processors are pretty different performance wise:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3210M+%40+2.50GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3612QM+%40+2.10GHz

The GPUs are pretty similar (although one has 2x the video ram). They are #124 and #130 in this list:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Given that I use my computer for gaming as well as normal tasks, should I opt for the 2GB video processor, albeit with a much worse CPU (the i5-3210m); or should i opt for the substantially better CPU (i7-3612QM) with the 1GB graphics card from AMD?

I know desktops are better, but I need the mobility, and am constrained my price; these are the two best builds in my budget unfortunately.

Im not much of a tech guy, and the guys at the store are completely useless and try to upsell, I was hoping someone here might be able to help!

Thanks!

I just don't understand why anyone would limit themselves to a windows machine... good luck. D.

Which OS gives you as much variety for games, applications, etc? Certainly not apple, nor Linux. I know I can dual boot a windows OS onto an apple, but why pay a substantial premium for the added inconvenience?

Plus, while I own certain apple products (and perversely their shares), I'm definitely not a fan of how limiting their products tend to be. And Linux doesn't have certain products that I need for the few times I'll use the laptop for work.

Apple does make great hardware. I love my 13" MacBook Pro. Yes, it was expensive compared to others with similar specs, but the fit, finish and design of the MBP is difficult to beat.

Having said that, I rarely run it in OSX, but mostly Linux or Windows7. Love the hardware, just don't like OSX.

The 13" MBP is not even remotely a gaming rig though. The 15" and 17" at least have dedicated graphics cards and would be OK for mid-range gaming.

With any computer it's all about finding the best setup for what you actually use it for.

Not blind.... Open minded, I run windows on my Mac along with os x. I don't drink the cool aid either. I used to build and service pc's. I switched to apples hardware and would never go back. The majority whom try a Mac never go back to a windows box.

Not blind.... Open minded, I run windows on my Mac along with os x. I don't drink the cool aid either. I used to build and service pc's. I switched to apples hardware and would never go back. The majority whom try a Mac never go back to a windows box.

i have the same setup. I use VMWare Fusion to seamlessly switch from the windows and mac os. Super stable, small, great resolution...a for sure 10/10

To each their own I suppose. Name any current apple product and there is one in my house (MacBook, iPhone, iPod, iPad); while they were certainly interesting when they first came out, I think in my next upgrade cycle, I will move to android devices for the iOS devices. And the MacBook just never spoke to me - found it difficult to customize, very few games available, abhor the mouse and menu system, so on. I don't think I ever went a day of using it without some aspect of it annoying me. I may consider a MacBook again in the future, but I certainly don't think it will be in the next 2-3 years.

If its about the hardware, for the same price, you can usually get a better spec'ed windows rig. No matter how you cut it, the Mac would be a poorer choice (for me at least).

Edited by kingkaiser

I understand and hear your arguments everyday.... Enjoy the malware...

Btw, you do realize the reason macs don't have that is due to limited popularity right? Recently however, as macs gain some market share, I've been hearing about viruses / malware targeting macs as well.

I Just bought a Lenovo T520, with 8GB of Ram, I7 processor 1GB of Video HD, 500Gb 7.5K HDD. this is my work laptop and I love it.

I think I might have found the best of both worlds. Lenovo z580 with an i7 3rd gen processor, with 2gb video ram, for just $35 more - although I'll need to spend another $35 on adding some additional ram, but that's it.

Btw, you do realize the reason macs don't have that is due to limited popularity right? Recently however, as macs gain some market share, I've been hearing about viruses / malware targeting macs as well.

There is some truth to the "security through obscurity" statement. a

Another big reason is on a Mac, nothing changed unless you provide your root password.... While on the Microsoft os, if your running IE and navigate to a malicious site or open an attachment(which many do) will get you infected.

• 1 year later...

Some of us are constrained by software not available on other OSs... I'm an engineer, I use 3d CAD and engineering software on a daily basis that just aren't built for anything but Windows.

Besides that, I bought my girl a mac a few years back... we both tried and tried, but just couldn't get used to it.

And, besides them, I have never had a virus on my windows machine except once, when I was trying out different AV software and was actually trying to get a virus... Been using NOD32 since its inception and never used anything else from then.

To each his own, but for me, Macs just don't have what it takes to do the stuff I need to do and stay in line with my customers.

Jeez... you die-hard mac/unix/linux bigots crack me up sometimes :-P

IS what it is, I have used both in the job and each has a place. I tend now to have a very high spec laptop which is upgradable using card based sawap outs. I also run it on a partition as a Hackintosh so best of both. My advice it look at a Clevo if looks are not the be all and end all. The cards are swapable for higher spec as time progresses and the cooling system is man enough to keep the thing sweet. It really depends on what you want to do with it now and in a few years. Obvioulsy cost is a significant factor for a lot of people so look to your budget and get the best available inside that. I would also suggest looking at teh Samsung 7 series, they off a good amount of bang for buck.