When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got Called Out!

Cromag

More interesting (for this thread) are the stories of getting called out, than what you would not be called out. Believe me, you were probably called out many times in private if you were reps. People with money, not even rich, just collectors and such, do pay attention to detail. I personally appreciate the finer details and usability of a Montblanc pen, a nice sports car, or a great quality bicycle for that matter. Heck, I collect rare custom made flashlights! You don't have to know reps to call one out, you just have to have an intimate love for the collectables you covet. I really love my GEN DateJust. I've worn it every day for the last 18-years or so and appreciate it every time I put it on. I appreciate the worn out gold links and the solid feel and the reliability, not to mention the beauty. But I digress...

Gen_Rolex_Datejust_1995.jpg

I'm just curious about stories of people who got called out. It's a fun topic. What did they say when called out? Did they try to maintain that it is real or did they come clean and say so what or ...

Ok, I have told this story before, but one Christmas I was at my brother-in-law's home for dinner and from the other side of the table, my wife's sister pipes up for everyone to hear "Is that a real Rolex?" She was looking at my DeepSea from EuroTimez.

I thought it over quickly, and knowing how frugal my wife's parents are, there was no way I was going to say I had spent $9000 on a watch with them sitting right there. They would have been appalled.

My reply was "No, of course not. There is no way I would spend nine thousand on a stainless steel watch. That kind of usury rubs me the wrong way."

If someone says to me "Thats a beautiful watch" I can go either way depending on the circumstance. I can let it slide, with an "Oh, thank you." or I could initiate them in to the "quality replica club" with the full information of the community and culture.

• Like 2

Jkay, that's not really being called out.

The person obviously didn't call you on wearing a rep, meaning couldn't tell from looking at your wrist.

She, like the average person, might have noticed it as a Rolex and therefore assumed it must be ridiculously expensive.

Hence the actually rude question ;)

She didn't say

"You are wearing a fake! I can tell because...."

That's what l consider being called out.

So I can't put this in the category of being called out but rather calling myself out. A number of years ago there was a very good rep of the original Muller Vegas "Roulette" watch. Shortly after I got it and while it was still in the active rotation I show up at a one-on-one client meeting. Sure enough, he walks in wearing the gen in gorgeous rose gold. And yes, he had gone to Vegas and won big over the prior weekend and walked into the Tourneau in Caesar's and bought it on a lark. At that point I knew I wasn't going to sit there living in fear so I showed him mine and the story behind my getting it. We have been friends for a long time so it was all just a good laugh. But you know what, when we did the inevitable switcheroo we both noticed that my rep had a better "roulette" function than his gen. He still wouldn't trade though. :bangin:

Oh No! You mean there is cuff & sleeve etiquette?

Yes, but that is not the point here. Positioning your sleeves just above your watch tends to draw attention to your wrist, which can make you look like a tosser or a poser, depending on what the viewer finds on your wrist (tosser if your watch appears to be gen, poser if your watch appears to be a fake).

business meet in london today and i was using a rep starwalker pen, the lady i was meeting had the same pen. she complemented my taste and told me hers was a very special present. i said its beautiful is it real, she looked very insulted and said of course it is, i said may i see it, she handed it over and i held it side by side with mine and told her id paid less then £20 for mine and for her to look at how identical they were, so much so that you cant tell which is which, her next reaction was magic she shot across the table and grabbed her pen back. the rep and gen were almost absolutely identical, the depth and size of MONT BLANC being the only tell. Later in the meeting she left the room, got up from her chair/walked out. Got to the door and walked back and picked her pen up, she was clearly worried I was going to switch them :fool: it was very funny.... so did I do the switch????? :clap2:

Yes, but that is not the point here. Positioning your sleeves just above your watch tends to draw attention to your wrist, which can make you look like a [censored] or a poser, depending on what the viewer finds on your wrist ([censored] if your watch appears to be gen, poser if your watch appears to be a fake).

OMG Freddy... its getting worse.... Now you tell me I am a posing [censored]..... you could have done it more gently than that.... :) I am off to sulk !! ;)

business meet in london today and i was using a rep starwalker pen, the lady i was meeting had the same pen. she complemented my taste and told me hers was a very special present. i said its beautiful is it real, she looked very insulted and said of course it is, i said may i see it, she handed it over and i held it side by side with mine and told her id paid less then £20 for mine and for her to look at how identical they were, so much so that you cant tell which is which, her next reaction was magic she shot across the table and grabbed her pen back. the rep and gen were almost absolutely identical, the depth and size of MONT BLANC being the only tell. Later in the meeting she left the room, got up from her chair/walked out. Got to the door and walked back and picked her pen up, she was clearly worried I was going to switch them :fool: it was very funny.... so did I do the switch????? :clap2:

I hope you were the client and not her... as funny as that is on here... letting that out could seriously undermine your business credibility to someone like that...

Think it's kind of rude to call out someone's rep/gen? Unless its an a$$hot that's trying to flash their rep as gen.

If I spot a rep I usually keep it to myself or just talk about it among my friends. Like Cromag said, I think collectors pay attention to detail but won't necessarily call out a stranger for wearing a rep.

Besides I think its just us and other WIS that look so closely at what watches people are wearing.

On the MB pen thing... Is that proper to "brag" about your rep and its cost over someone's special gift, especially in a business meeting setting?. Heck, I use rep pens, but always use a gen MB for important moments.

Edited by c888

This. Lol, I've been asked a couple of times while wearing gens:

"is that real?"

Smh

And the best answer to that? "I dunno, I took it off a dead guy."

End of conversation, right there. :tu:

Yes, but that is not the point here. Positioning your sleeves just above your watch tends to draw attention to your wrist, which can make you look like a tosser or a poser, depending on what the viewer finds on your wrist (tosser if your watch appears to be gen, poser if your watch appears to be a fake).

I've rolled the cuffs of my sleeves back two folds ever since I saw the cover to the Jean-Michel Jarre album Images when I was about 12, and thought it looked like the perfect blend of casualness and formality. Of course, in a business or formal setting, I always wear my cuffs closed, and likewise, can't stand button-down shirts with short sleeves (I've always felt they just scream 'fastfood management') yet am happy to wear a T-shirt :) I'd never really considered the sleeve-rolling to be drawing attention to my wrists, but I definitely see the point you're making :)

This is precisely why I'm not going to be ordering any Rolex reps (despite how much I love the Submariner). I figure Rolex is the only high-end watch most people can easily recognize, and reps are so common that the "Fauxlex" has become a cliche. I sort of expect everyone's first reaction would be to assume it's a fake. I feel like people would see right through me unless I arrived in a Bentley. I think the average mouth breather on the street probably isn't very aware of the rep market for other brands, so they're unlikely to think much of it if I have a nice Tag on my wrist.

Edited by FxrAndy
By FxrAndy not fit for open forum

I've been called out more times with gen's than with rep's.

The 16610 LV has been accused of being fake about 6 or 7 times I've even let people handle it for them to confirm it as fake.

These days if anybody asks me about a watch i tell them its fake straight away regardless.

I've called out people all the time. I had a guy that does casual work for my boss wearing a two tone daytona that showed the same time for 6 weeks before i asked him if his watch was working. He wore the watch not functioning for years.

I was at a bbq and this guy is talking himself up. You know the sort- I make this much money and blow it on coke and hookers blah blah. Just bought a two tone rolex daytona but it needed a new link and they only had stainless. I looked from a distance and told him he might as well walk round with his fly down.

I hate chrono reps when the subdials show days of the week or the date.

After reading all these stories I can only conclude that people that get called out have got to be in few groups.

Teenagers, High Schoolers wearing a rep and being chided by their peers...possibly even college. Or being young and wearing affordable clothes, driving a compact car etc..wearing a watch beyond their means.

Or..people that hang out with incredibly rude assholes.

Im at an age that I can afford most of the watches I wear. I've yet to be "called out" I don't think or worry about it. Sometimes I have a client/ customer in my shop ask what kind of watch that is...and I usually tell them it's a hobby and the watch is a frankin assembled with parts. The guys that ask me are usually watch guys, and often this leads to an interesting conversation. I've yet to get a bad reaction or be frowned at.

I just think this is all relative to your age, what you drive and wear..and who you associate with.

• Like 2

A few years back I was talking with some flight attendants as we perused reps in the Istanbul bazaar. One of them commented "It's gotten to the point that when I see a Rolex, I immediately assume it's fake" How true

BTW I am now starting off with my first post, apparently, even though I've been a member for a year and a half with a good number of previous postings. I had to re-up yesterday when I couldn't log on with my old information, so I re-entered it exactly and here I am again. .

Edited by Bosox

I feel like people would see right through me unless I arrived in a Bentley.

While much of what you say is true to some extent, the truth is that almost anyone with a job can save up the $3500 it costs to own a used Submariner. As long as you don't go hog wild and wear a $20,000 Rolex, I think it is pretty credible.