When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Side by side OEM ETA vs. REP parts on the 6497 movement for Panerai watches

marlin22

I have compiled this set of side by side pictures to try to explain to the membership all the differences there are between the two and hopefully finally make clear some confusion, and show the membership how easy it is to mislead buyers on parts that cannot be seen. This may take some time and many edits and picture uploads, so be patient please.

Now lest get some things clear, first on ETA, I could rant on about how ETA is the largest Swiss movement maker in the world and blah blah blah, but it is easier if you read for yourself here ( http://www.eta.ch/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA ). Now that you have read a little about ETA (I hope) we can proceed. Here are some other links on the specific movement we are talking about in this thread which is the 6497 (http://www.monochrom...panerai-cimier/ and http://www.watches-w...?title=ETA_6497 ) Now you should understand that in this case Panerai does not make this movement and the fact that the 6497 has been around for over 60 years. Let me make it very clear ETA MAKES THE GUTS OF THIS MOVEMENT AND PANERAI MAKES ALL THE PRETTY STUFF THAT ADORNS IT OR DRESSES IT UP, PANERAI DOES NOT MAKE THE PARTS THAT GO INTO THIS MOVEMENT sorry about the caps but it seems many just don’t get it. Panerai OEM is ETA OEM because only ETA is licensed to produce those parts, it is all proprietary To ETA.

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6497assem.swf

The 6497 has several variants and two beat rates

6497-1 = 18000vph (low beat) sec. @ 9:00

6497-2 = 21600vph (high beat) sec. @ 9:00 (Gen. Panerai use this movement in their watches, practically impossible to get and very expensive when found)

6498-1 = 18000vph sec. @ 6:00

6498-2 = 21600vph sec. @ 6:00

Most of the parts you will see here will never be seen on the watch itself because they are buried deep within the watches guts.

So let’s start with the main plate, this can be considered the chassis of the watch just like on a car. Here you can see three one is REP the middle is stock ETA and right is modded to look gen. but is still a stock ETA. Most important thing to look for when a watch is advertised as Swiss is the stamp markings under the balance wheel. Only true Swiss movements have this and it is stamped not etched, the REP has no markings at all. On the 6497 there are some numbers on it but the most important thig to look for is the ETA crest stamp.

I have not finished my write up, but I want to make one thing very clear. Though the parts may look very much alike, the difference is enormous in the quality of the parts. The ETA parts are a great deal superior to the Chinese counterparts. The ETA parts are made of superior metals and seem to be stronger and heftier. One obvious example is the bridge screws I have sheared off several Chinese screws with out putting any torque on them as opposed to the ETA, they are hardened and I have yet to shear one off. So please don't be fooled as too how similar they are, the main difference is in the quality and longevity of the ETA parts.

Back:

ETA20.jpg

ETA21.jpg

ET-pattern.jpg

Front:

ETA20.jpg

Now let’s look at the components that go on the front of the base plate and under the dial. This consists of the list of parts pictured below, most of these parts are never seen.

Slide pinion: Virtually identical

ETA13.jpg

Winding pinion: Also identical

ETA12.jpg

Setting lever: Only difference is finish

ETA11.jpg

Yoke: Identical

ETA2.jpg

Yoke spring: Identical, the ETA might be a little shiner

ETA5.jpg

Setting wheel and Intermediate setting wheel: Only differences is finish, ETA is smoother and shinier

ETA9.jpg

Minute wheel: Only difference is finish

ETA14.jpg

Set lever jumper: Identical, I added a modded one to show how Panerai brushes theirs, beyond that they are the same

ETA4.jpg

Set lever jumper retaining screw: Color is different and Rep is slightly domed on the top and ETA is flat

ETA15.jpg

Cannon pinion: ETA has a smother finish and brighter shine

ETA8.jpg

Hour wheel: Rep is shinier, however Panerai uses a brass wheel see second picture

ETA7.jpg

part1128.jpg

More to come, need to take more pictures to post below

Now lets flip the movement and see what parts are in the back side. These parts are more important because here is where all the main mechanical parts of the watch reside. And in the case of some Panerai watches these parts are completely visible to anyone who looks at the back of the watch, and where the largest amount of "tells" are.

Escape wheel

Third wheel: The third wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone

ETA16.jpg

Second wheel (they come with long lower pivot for second hand or short pivot for no second hand configurations): The third wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP.. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone

ETA17.jpg

Center wheel:The center wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone

ETA18.jpg

Bridge screws(bolts):The ETA is a thicker screw and has a small grip, while the REP has no grip at all. The color is different as well

ETA1-1.jpg

Barrel:

ETA3-1.jpg

Setting lever screw

Crown wheel ring

Crown wheel

Crown wheel screw

Click spring

Click

Click screw

Ratchet Wheel

Ratchet wheel screw

Pallet fork:

ETA6.jpg

Pallet bridge:

ETA10.jpg

Pallet bridge screws:

Balance:

ETA22.jpg

Panerai movement which is the ETA 6497-2 use the Glucydur balance that is made and licensed by ETA, the 6497-1 however does not.

Glucydur and the balance wheel

One of the trademark features of ETA movements is their Glucydur balance wheels, which look like this:

img00004.gif?version=1&modificationDate=1300716713128

Incabloc shock system:

Not made by ETA but by Incabloc S.A. and used on ETA movements

ETA23.jpg

I hope this helps members understand the differences between the REP parts and the OEM ETA parts. Most of the parts are identical and function the same. I use the ETA parts on my builds because in some cases the ETA parts are built heftier and are obviously made with quality materials.

Thanks for looking........

• Like 4

Incabloc shock system:

Not made by ETA but by Incabloc S.A. and used on ETA movements

Good stuff... looking forward to more!

Yep, ETA doesn't manufacture the Incabloc anti-shock system, but they do own the company that makes it (which also makes the Novodiac protection system).

ETA makes their own version anti-shock system called Etachoc.

Close but under scrutiny there is noooooooooooo comparison with eta finishing

None

Great stuff. And just to reiterate, although parts can look very similar, as T says, there is a world of difference between an ETA and rep movement (never mind a high finish 6497-2 vs gen Panerai). I have always wondered if Panerai uses a different mainspring. Even the blued finish on the screws for the Panerai movement are very different from the ETA high beats I have owned. I once had Ziggy service an ETA 7753 at the same time he was doing a gen daylight and as I recall the differences were fairly material.

T is the man though as I don't have the skills or courage to disassemble my gen movements. Great post. :)

Absolutely fantastic thread.... A sticky me thinks ..... very informative... Thanks for taking what was a great deal of time to put this together and post it mate....

PS... Surely when you say ETA you actually mean OEM.....??? ;) ;) :)

PS... Surely when you say ETA you actually mean OEM.....??? ;) ;) :)

No when I say OEM I mean ETA, remember when it comes to this movement and in some cases the 7750 or 7753, only ETA makes the OEM internal parts not Panerai. So, the Original Equipment Manufacturer is ETA.

I am still taking pictures and will make more precise my assesments of the parts with better camparison quotes, in hopes that the membership get a better grip on this issue, it might take a little while before I am done, but when I am complete the thread will be much more specific on the differences. Thanks

Sorry PeteM, missed it, I am just being overwhelmed with all this OEM confusion that has got everyone going all over the place and the last thing I want to do is contribute to the confusion, I hope you understand.

Most of the worlds largest watch co. have or still use ETA in their watches. Panerai is by far not the only watch company to use them. Omega uses the 6497 in their Railmaster XXL ( http://www.omegarolex.com/details/02201.html )

Very nice comparison pictures. Thanks for putting it all together. However I would caution anyone using visual confirmation to determine parts compatability. As mentioned above while parts may appear to be the same they often are not when you attempt to fit them up. I ran into this when replacing the center wheel on a clone 6497-2. Ordered and ETA part and it would not fit, the pinion was too large for the jewel. Even measured with my calipers and they came out the same but for whatever reason it was a no go. I ended up polishing the pinion and was able to get it to fit. So as mentioned the details and finish can make all the difference in the world.

Sorry PeteM, missed it, I am just being overwhelmed with all this OEM confusion that has got everyone going all over the place and the last thing I want to do is contribute to the confusion, I hope you understand.

Most of the worlds largest watch co. have or still use ETA in their watches. Panerai is by far not the only watch company to use them. Omega uses the 6497 in their Railmaster XXL ( http://www.omegarole...ails/02201.html )

TBH mate... I thought that as I wrote... I know how much grief this 'situation' caused you and I understand how it could go over your head.... I didnt mean anything by it mate...

I just hope a lot of guys take in this thread and hopefully learn to understand the difference between facts and marketing (sales) patter...

and more importantly why it is important to get your rep serviced regardless of the model.... :)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...