When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Roger Dubuis Excalibur Chronograph (ChronoExcel)

PeteM

So here is the latest attempt by the factory of a RD Excalibur Chronograph, though the dealer sites refer to this as the ChronoExcel. The description has the usual 'replicated from gen 1:1' etc...

Overall the watch is very impressive and well built. It is a very unusual design for its size and has a lot of wrist presence.

There have been a few versions of this but this one has the modified A7750 whereas the earlier version had the Copy Venus 75 manual movement. Both are incorrect though the latter is the more gen looking of these. However this one is more accurate overall IMHO...

This was bought from Sead at Supermirrors.... it was much cheaper through him than you see on the main dealer sites. As always the transaction was flawless.

Here is the gen:

Here is the rep:

Overall the watch is a good replication especially on the wrist and more importantly given the rarity of the gen and the fact this make isnt very well known it is something that can be worn with ease for those of us with anal like tendencies... ;)

The flaws are varied though not strictly obvious...

The bezel teeth are slightly oversized in width an depth to the gen however this isnt a big issue on the wrist and the rep bezel actually matches the newer models with single sub dial.

The subdials on the gen are flat white to match the inner bezel on the rep the subdials are concentric circles with same colour as the main dial however the inner bezel is correct. That said, on the wrist the pattern of the subdials gives a similar appearance to the gen by the way the light catches it..

The case is pretty close in shape and size, though the brushing of the case is horizontal on the gen and vertical on the rep.

The crown and cover are pretty close except the RD is slightly bigger on the rep... but again not something obvious on the wrist.

The chrono hands have blued finish. On the rep these are darker than the gen but again its not a big tell as the light on the watch looks different at every angle on the wrist whether gen or rep.

The strap and buckle are very good... the rubber is sturdy yet soft to wear... the deployant is comfortable and well made...it also is very close to the gen.

The modified A7750 allows the subdials to be correctly spaced to match the gen.

The dial itself is pretty good... including the SwissCoHMMade under the 6 Oclock, the lume is good on both the dial and the hands... the lume dots are not correct... the gen has black circles around the lume dots the rep is just lume... but it is very neat and well aplied again a very hard thing to spot or even know about these models.

Hands in terms of shape and finish are pretty good and catch the light well to produce a blingy look.

The crystal has double AR as does the gen however the gen is stronger but both have a slight blue hue on the white dial. The shape is pretty good though i think the rep is slightly higher but I cant be sure on that.

The CB isnt bad and looks pretty accurate but I didnt pay too much attention to that as the movement is so wrong so if it is seen this side its an easy tell. ;)

Overall size is a hard one to call... compared to gen.... RD state case is 45.5 and 15.5 thick but it depends where you measure the gen... the case is the same size as the rep give or take 0.5mm what makes this a much bigger watch is the oversized bezel and the crown and guard... this is the same on the gen..

Effectively the watch ends up measuring around 51mm overall from my research the gen measures the same.

Overall I like it and think it looks great on the wrist.... its a big looking watch with a classy look of the smaller formal watches you see about..

Thanks mate... Of course you are right !! :) I had them in another folder ready to go and forgot them !! Doh! Cant believe I forgot the first rule !!

Here are some now

Thanks guys...

I cant edit but there are a few things I forgot to mention...

The bezel shape of the rep under the teeth meets the case at an angle in the same way it meets the crystal however the gen bezel only keeps that angle for half the height of the bezel towards the case at that point it goes vertically down to the case.

If you order one make sure you have a few spare spring bars as you need one for the deployant.

The strap was fitted the wrong way round so you will need to swap it round. It is very very comfy and easily sits under a shirt or such like unlike say an SA etc

:)

• 2 weeks later...