When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Red Submariner Superfranken - Buily by RolexAddict - lots of pics

PLOPROFCOMEX

A couple of months ago I was given a genuine Rolex 1570 movement as a gift. I decided after much deliberation, that I wanted to build a really special 1680 Submariner

I have been helped by many along the way but there are three guys who need some special praise for their invaluable help.

Firstly, I would like to thank my very good friend Steve who donated the Rolex movement and the MBK watch that formed the build and also the gen bracelet and gen end links.

Secondly I need to give a really big thanks to Mapman57 who was extremely helpful in many ways. He was a fountain of good and accurate knowledge at pretty much every stage of sourcing parts that were hard to find and made sure I never spent any hard-earned on incorrect or dodgy genuine parts.

He provided superb and in depth reference materials and advice and also helped to assemble my gen bracelet out of the two gen bracelets needed to concoct one big enough for me and good enough for a build of this spec.

Finally and by no means least - I need to thank JJ aka RolexAddict on RWG.

The expertise and ability that RolexAddict brought to the table was superb. He is a super nice guy to deal with. Incredibly professional in his approach, communication and advice.

I could write a lot about what JJ had to do to overcome certain difficulties building this watch but I know he intends covering that himself over on RWG so I will add a link to that thread here once it is available and online.

Some spec and details that you guys insist on knowing.

Movement - Genuine Rolex 1570 movement with hack mechanism and genuine original datewheel.

Case and bezel assembly from MBK 1680 sourced direct through Reg (Narikaa - a great dealer and always helpful to the max)

Bezel insert WSO with Yuki Acrylic Pearl relumed with aged Tritium effect lume.

Crown and tube OEM Rolex parts

Case was reshaped and softened by RolexAddict and lugs drilled for gen springbars

Dial is NDT and Handset is NDT - All relumed by RolexAddict to a great aged Tritium colour (NDT are great dials - print is immaculate etc but the dial lume colour is simply TOO orange - If you have the budget definitely get an NDT dial but DEFINITELY factor in the price of a relume.

Genuine NOS Rolex crystal.

Genuine Rolex 93150 Bracelet with clasp code "A"

Genuine 593 endlinks.

THANKS SO MUCH TO ROLEX ADDICT AND TO MAPMAN57 - A couple of great and helpful guys.

Like RolexAddict said to me, and I will not forget this fantastic attitude " Chris, No problems - ONLY SOLUTIONS"

Here are some photos of my new beautiful SUPERFRANKEN 1680 SUBMARINER

mov2.jpg

mov1.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

Thanks - I suspect (hope) that the lume does settle and cure to a more matte finish - Its really quite fresh still and the photos are from a very sunny day.

These things are never really "finished" are they :lol: I shall wear it for a while and then see - the dial itself is certainly very matte.

It's awesome. It could hardly be any better. Agree on the slight matte finish as a potential update. Maybe a light aging to the case as well ... like one trip around the neighborhood with the case dragging behind the car. ;)

But, again, very, very nice. It really, really looks the part.

Edited by chieftang

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Way arent i suppriced? Everything that leavs France/Paris and JJ hands looks and are AMAZING, this man eats and drinks vintage :)

CONGRATES mate!!! And hats off again JJ!!!

It's awesome. It could hardly be any better. Agree on the slight matte finish as a potential update. Maybe a light aging to the case as well ... like one trip around the neighborhood with the case dragging behind the car. ;)

But, again, very, very nice. It really, really looks the part.

Thanks chief - trust me, it will have all the added "wear" to the case after I have had it on my wrist for about two weeks ! I will be very capable of adding ten years age in 10 days just by being my usual self :lol:

THE THIRD PIC DOWN IS OF A REP BRACELET - ooops - my mistake - its a gen on the watch though :lol:

ha, ha, ha , you plonker Rodney!

That third pic is indeed that piece of junk you bought before 'home help' moved in!

And the final bracelet looks rather nice considering it was a bag of scrap iron when it arrived! :

Its a beauty Chris, congratulations to you and JJ