When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making a rep GMT IIc a little more gen...

chiman12

Yes...I was the guy that bought docblackrock's CHS GMT IIc....

Ever since I sold the same CHS GMT IIc with the gen bezel insert to a forum member, there was an empty hole to fill in my GMT collection. Building of a 1675 PCG did not satisfy the emptiness. A 6542 build...well...to acquire all the parts for the perfect build...that is an excercise in patience itself....

Recently, there was an auction for a complete IIc crystal and bezel assembly for sale. No bids and there were only a few hours left in the auction, so I enabled the 'snipe' mode and it wound up that I only would have sniped myself as I was the only one that bid for this auction. The kicker is that I won the item for a very reasonable price! Needless to say, by winning the auction, it only fueled my appetite to purchase another IIc and it needed to be a CHS to satisfy the thirst to make the rep as geniune as possible.

Onto current day...docblackrocks GMT IIc with gen bezel assembly and crystal installed...

DSCN0298.jpg

One area that the rep insert cannot compete in is the paint that fills the numerals in the insert. It is hard to explain, but the paint is more white as compared to the rep. The platinum particles suspended within the paint just puts the rep insert to shame

DSCN0300.jpg

By inspecting the two inserts side by side on a more macro level, numerous differences start to appear between the rep and gen insert...

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

-The rep insert have sharply cut numbers and indexes, resulting in a unfinished appearance. The numerals and indexes on the gen are smooth, perfectly transitioning with the smooth ceramic used to construct the insert. The rep insert engravings feel and look deeper than the gen

-for the gen, the "1's" have a gentle curvy tail, while the rep's are dead straight. The "8's" are different in that the gen tries to copy the older GMT inserts, with the oval being smaller in diameter on the top. The rep "8" ovals strive to be the same width. Also, notice that the "0" on the gen has a gentle bulge, with the rep is square as Spongebob Square Pants. The obvious 'tell' of course is the paint. The rep colour is notorious grey and semi-glossy....

The rep bezel itself is also insufficient once a side by side comparison of the gen is conducted…

DSCN0304.jpg

The gen bezel grooves are significantly deeper, thicker and fills the bezel a bit more than the rep. I initially had a problem getting the bezel to stay on, but upon studying the assembly further, the only fix that was required was to use a longer bezel retaining spring. Now that sucker stays on good!

As for the final piece…the gen crystal with A/R on the cyclops. Not having to deal with reflections to view the date window is a beautiful thing!

DSCN0305.jpg

No modifications required to use the gen crystal. Only had to use the rep crystal gasket as there would be no way that the gen gasket would work.

Well…the empty hole has been filled thanks docblackrock…some parting pics

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

hhhmmm...maybe a gen dial will completely finish this baby off... :g:

that's a great build,congratulations. I believe that the genuiune bezel /insert are a definite step in the right direction, but to me, the genuine crystal is the best. amazing how much better it is than the best of the rep crystals. I tried for almost a year to find one, and finally gave up and sold the watch.

How did you get the bezel insert to fit and how much did it cost to buy?

N...the insert came with the bezel assembly. The crystal, completely bezel assembly was bought all together, so I wouldn't know how much a gen insert would cost by itself...does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Man this turned out nice, I once had the same parts as you but decided to scrap the build for my 1675 build which still isn't done yet :(

Enjoy the watch bud, it's a beaut.....

Edited by eVojlib

Gorgeous work I owned the steel gen and now own the steel and gold gen as well as the gen green ceramic sub

The bezel indices are filled with gold not platinum. White gold on your gen insert and in my gen sub and yellow gold on my tt.

You are quite correct though there is no comparison between the gen gold filled bezel and crappy white plastic paint and once again for you jello heads who insist on painting your insert cutouts white is another example of how tragically wrong you are

If the rep factories ever do a gold filled ceramic insert I will be thrilled

Thanks once again everyone!!!

The bezel indices are filled with gold not platinum. White gold on your gen insert and in my gen sub and yellow gold on my tt.

Thanks for the clarification T!

Looks great chi!

For that ultimate detail..how bout a green datewheel? :)

https://www.rolexfor...ad.php?t=243563

FUNKY! Kind of funny, because my $60 rep "wanna be" GMT IIc actually has a green date wheel

Chi, hey why not drop me a link to this thread? Luckily I found it by chance :)

I'm really happy for you that you've upgraded it to such an extent - it deserved nothing less and likewise thanks for a nice simple transaction.

I'd be interested to see your 1675 build that "didn't satisfy the hunger" ;)

Cheers

DBR