When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 16520 help movement

Guest yonatan.ezo

Hi, I would suggest you make a research for 16520 - there are tons of information about the projects. mine for example is a modded ebel movt.

Be sure that you get all the necessary conversion parts like hour wheel and so on... and you will have to kill the date mechanism on the zeniths (and ebels).

price range normally is between € 400 - and ~ € 800

best, J

No need to kill the date function unless you are expert in removing parts on movements, or you may not be doing good to it. Just take away the datewheel is ok. Afterall you can't mod the keyless work anyway, you will still have the two position pulling of the crown. Just adjust the time by one pull of the crown will do.

Transplanting the conversion parts from cal.4030 is a hell lot of works - almost tearing down the whole movement, and finding all the right parts is extremely difficult.

Imagine you need to change all the wheels and pinions to get the original 16520 handset fit properly, coz those on the Zenith/Ebel have completely different pin sizes.

No need to kill the date function unless you are expert in removing parts on movements, or you may not be doing good to it. Just take away the datewheel is ok. Afterall you can't mod the keyless work anyway, you will still have the two position pulling of the crown. Just adjust the time by one pull of the crown will do.

Transplanting the conversion parts from cal.4030 is a hell lot of works - almost tearing down the whole movement, and finding all the right parts is extremely difficult.

Imagine you need to change all the wheels and pinions to get the original 16520 handset fit properly, coz those on the Zenith/Ebel have completely different pin sizes.

+1

An experienced watchmaker is needed for this job,

Changing parts is the only way to put gen hands on the movement. I can't count all the failed project I've seen here cause of this.

For a successful project, you will need :

- An experienced watchmaker

- An El Primero mov. in good conditions. Means running at +/- 5 secs a day, and winding smoothly !!! A service on this movement is between 300 and 600€, depending of the watchmaker... Expensive ;)

- The conversion of your movement for the hands and the 2 positions for crown. Extremely hard to find, because there is a lot of parts to change. But I have to say I have a complete set to sell right now...

You can expect spending at least 1500-2000€ in the pieces... Just for the movement :)

R.