When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Yachtmaster rotor sound

997 s

every ETA I've owned or worked on has the same characteristic... and I have non-rep timepieces with ETA movements, and all the rotors make noise. You can't get away from it. Unless you do something stupid like load it up with grease!

So 997, any chance you can shoot a quick vid of the noise so we can evaluate? If there is an abnormal noise, it can be addressed, but if you are just talking about normal rotor noise, you may just have to live with it.

Stilty,

I have 3 other Rolexes with eta. None of them soubds like this.

I mean it is not that i am going deaf but i think that it is to loud

Also put some money in yhis TC compared to "standard" reps so i really want this flaw killed

I will try to catch it with my Iphone

If you lubricate the rotor on your own, as an unskilled watch enthusiast, the over-oiled bearing will spread across the entire interior of the watch.

Certain trusted forum watch technicians have noted that they have to dispose of their entire batch of cleaning solution from their vibrosonic cleaning machine, due to the junk with which people lube their watches.

Just my 2cents I have made the mistake of oiling a rotor or two a while back in a couple of Breitling reps with clone 2824's shortly after both had reverser gear problems.

Yes, no matter how little you put on there, the actual correct amount is a lot less, and it spreads all over the movement screwing it up.

I've had a few noisy rotors in the past, corrected considerably by one of these 2 methods.

1 - tightening the tab screws

2 - pulling the rotor, laying it flat on a piece of 600g sandpaper and gently sanding the bottom edge making it "ever-so-slightly" shorter.

( use caution when trying this...the rotor is 2 pieces and can easily become seperated.)

I have found that many times the screw holding the rotor has been tightened to much, and cracking the tube the screw goes in, thus the rotor is loose and wobbles when it moves. Remove the the rotor and loop the tube the screw goes into, you may see a crack. Oiling is not suggested. Even rolex says do not oil the reversing gears or rotor on a gen