When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sold my Gen Rolex Submariner TT with blue dial. Now what rep?

PAM1962

Hello,

Thanks to all for the warm welcome here. What a great board. SO wish I would have found it sooner! :)

I've recently sold my Rolex Submariner TT with blue dial and am looking for the most accurate replacement. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

PAM1962

Ah, young grasshopper, you are almost home. Abandon this force that holds you, feel the winds of freedom lift you from the servitude that is contemporary Rolex. Explore the boundaries of the yawning chasm. Savor the smell of oil, metal shavings and perspex.

And now ... embrace the other side of Rolex. Come to the Dark Side. Vintage Rolex awaits.

post-32-0-57167900-1344494934_thumb.jpg

Ah, young grasshopper, you are almost home. Abandon this force that holds you, feel the winds of freedom lift you from the servitude that is contemporary Rolex. Explore the boundaries of the yawning chasm. Savor the smell of oil, metal shavings and perspex.

And now ... embrace the other side of Rolex. Come to the Dark Side. Vintage Rolex awaits.

post-32-0-57167900-1344494934_thumb.jpg

That is a great looking time piece! My first ever 'real' watch was a Rolex GMT I with the red/blue bezel. Sold it for a TT Sub with black dial. :(

So, I could be convinced to join the dark side, Darth. Are the reps of vintage Rolex as nice as those of some of the more modern offerings?

Thanks!

PAM1962

Like the contemporary pieces, some are great, some not so good, and they're constantly improving. Take a look at a Sea Dweller 1665 or a Red Sub 1680, there are some great pieces out there.

Wonderful Vintage Reps out there, unfortunately, all will require some degree of "massaging" to achive greatness. the 6542 is my favorite of all Rolex vintage. Again there is nothing out there that even remotely approaches the real thing, unless you plan to spend 4.5-5.5k for a 6542 from phong or Ming Quy. Otherwise you will have to build one from scratch. Pretty good "starting point" 1665's and 1680's are out there.

I've recently sold my Rolex Submariner TT with blue dial and am looking for the most accurate replacement. Any words of wisdom?

Not sure why people start talking of vintage rollies when the OP asks for the most accurate rep of a TT?

:)

To answer that original question, the best blue TT was the wm9 as sold by BK. That one is out of stocks and there is a high demand for it... in other words, very difficult to obtain.

Second best is the MBK version as sold by Reg Narikaa. You find him in the sales section of the international forums. Drop him a PM and he can buy one for you during his frequent trips to Asia.

If you'll read it closely, he said he's looking for the most accurate replacement. Then he asked for words of wisdom.

I too had a TT blue Sub at one point, unloaded it, and discovered the FAR more interesting world of vintage Rolex.

Hence the words of wisdom.

I can't comment on how accurate this will be to your original, but in the spirit of the opening question, here's my suggestion: I don't think you'll beat that price anywhere, and the seller has never let me down :)

Equally, I must agree with Nanuq, there's a much wider world to Rolex than just the contemporary stuff, and the vintage pieces definitely have an appeal :good::drinks:

I'm not so sure that someone who just sold a gen would be happy with a rep that's $47 including shipping.

I doubt someone who had a gen would find any rep of the same watch acceptable, so why waste the extra money and still be disappointed... :pardon:

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys! Fun reading, and good advice. :) I picked up a BK modded TW TT Sub and am very pleased.

Now, about that vintage Rolex...........I also owned a gen 16750. So, which TD sources the best version of this piece as a rep? I'd really prefer a reliable Swiss movement, and am more interested in quality than lowest price. :)

Best,

PAM1962