When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken TC SUB project

Inertiadrifter

You guys should think about addressing the bezel ring too. The TC bezel is accurate for the older style sub but the new ones are different. A guy came into my shop with a gen V-serial the other day and the modern bezel really stands out. The best option is Gen, obviously, but the Sean bezel is a good option too. I think have a source on a great looking rep bezel too (almost identical to gen) but I only have one right now. I'll get some more soon...

It might be ok for the earlier ones, but if you have a big V serial number glaring out from under the crystal that's going to be a pretty big tell!

It's OK. There was a transitional period where the older bezel style with the shallower cut on the teeth existed on no-lug hole cases.

The Sean bezel doesn't sound like it fits a gen insert without a slight sanding of the insert (and who knows if it fits a TC sub case). You may not notice the insert sanding once installed. But the slight diameter reduction is visible to the naked eye. This was the same situation with the "TW Best" case of the late 1990s that had lugholes. Great case, but the bezel proportions required the insert to be sanded. While it looked OK once installed, next to a gen sub it just somehow looked smaller. This was why. The case diameter itself was actually correct.

Pic of my late 90's TW Best (now sold) below. This, by the way, is where the TW Best name originated. My memory is fading, but I think it was River who first used the "TW Best" moniker.

Betcha wouldn't know that gen insert was sanded:

_MG_6395rsz.jpg

_MG_6381rsz.jpg

Great pics chief. Insert looks good, All I can see though is the low crown position ;)

My gen insert snapped into my Sean bezel, with a bit of effort, but it's there. The bezel insert was used so maybe it was made smaller by the installing and uninstalling over the years allowing it to fit the Sean bezel. Or maybe I just got lucky.

My build is up north, I'll post pics when she returns from service.

I bought my Sean case well over a year ago before the TC craze. At the time it was the best there was. The bezel is very nice. I haven't handled a TC so I can't comment on it. My gen parts are Y serial, and my opinion is the Sean case is based off a Y serial as well. I wa told he use to sell it with or without lug holes.

At some point I may Lookinto getting holes drilled. But it has been a very long build and when she returns I just want to wear her for a bit.

Mine is marked M too, but it's also marked 16610 with no T, so it should have holes. A Y serial can be 2002-2004. The case shape, at least mine, has slightly thicker lugs, like a bunch of early Y serials I've seen.

Anyway I'm happy with my build so far. And I am very impressed with all the other builds too! I also love the discussion that all the builds are creating. It really makes this the best forum in the verse!

The lugs on the sean case are the same if not thinner then the TC so I'm not sure where that puts the TC... The Sean bezel is almost dead on for the M-series and up except for the diameter thing. It's damn close though, the bezel I sanded for my sean bezel fit right into my gen bezel from somewhere around M or Z-serial. I have an old 16610 bezel with the shallow teeth like the TC comes with and that one takes a much larger insert. They both require a gen or gen spec crystal ring though, the Sean ring is too small.

I bought my Sean case well over a year ago before the TC craze. At the time it was the best there was. The bezel is very nice. I haven't handled a TC so I can't comment on it. My gen parts are Y serial, and my opinion is the Sean case is based off a Y serial as well. I wa told he use to sell it with or without lug holes.

At some point I may Lookinto getting holes drilled. But it has been a very long build and when she returns I just want to wear her for a bit.

I have a TC and a Sean on its way if you need a comparison on anything let me know. I was going to try and build a Z serial with the Sean case I have coming. If there much difference in the case from a Y to a Z?

I meant the thickness top to bottom not side to side for the lugs. The slightly thicker case shape was really noticeable when I put the v3 bracelet on. Maybe my case is just made wrong and that's why it looks like it does. On a side note I like your builds Fidhle, really inspiring...

• Like 1

The Y also has the flat 4 bezel too, from what I just saw. Im not overly concerned with the serial just the look of the case

Is it true there were early M serials without the rehaut engraving?

Im planning:

- Sean case

- Modern bezel (non flat 4)

- Modern crown

- Modern MK3 dial

- TC v3 93250

So far everything is right for a Z serial, the only thing im not sure about is the case

I would build an early M without the rehaut but I think thats practically a Z anyway! I did read some early M serials had no rehaut, no lug holes, MKIII dial and modern crown.

This is exactly what my Sean build is. The rehaut engraving came out half-way into the M-series run so there are both engraved and non-engraved Ms out there.

I meant the thickness top to bottom not side to side for the lugs. The slightly thicker case shape was really noticeable when I put the v3 bracelet on. Maybe my case is just made wrong and that's why it looks like it does. On a side note I like your builds Fidhle, really inspiring...

Ah, I didn't notice a difference in thickness last I looked. I will have a TC sub in my hands in the next week or so, I'll compare it to my Sean build.