When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Affordable Watch Servicing

R0NiN

So my Breitling Navitimer rep is having issues and the movement is obviously in need of service. My Cartier rep is having similar issues (they both wind but tend to just stop even when worn continuously, like the gears are sticking or something). Now I've heard tell that getting an automatic movement like these serviced runs around $200 a watch which seems totally absurd to me since I could practically buy two new ones for $400. Is there some alternative place to get them serviced or is there someone on the forums who offers servicing at a more reasonable rate? I did a search and came up with a few mentions of people who did it themselves, that sort of thing, but I wouldn't trust myself to do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

I pay 200 for non chrono and 300 for chrono servicing locally. It takes time to tear down the movement, service and oil it,, time is money.

As an aside, if you are being charged $200 for simple 3-handed service, you are being robbed. And $300 for Chrono ... again .. ridiculous prices.

I've had one chrono which was a Franken Daytona with a v727 serviced and it was 300$. Could it be that because it was a v727 it cost more? And the 200$ I've paid 3 times for gen rolex's if its too much please let me know. Thanks. I was under the impression that that was fair.

I appreciate that time is money and these are complicated movements, however, these are not "expensive" watches and I would expect that if a brand new movement costs less than servicing, then the time to service one is not equal to the time and materials of creating and assembling a new movement, even assembly line work, thus my point about expense.

Regardless, once serviced how long should you expect before needing services again? The Breitling is obviously the more complicated movement, the Cartier is just a basic roadster so should just be a simple automatic movement I would think.

Who are the trusted watch service people on the forums? I was unable to locate anything about that.

Thanks for the input :)

Five years or less for service intervals.

You're in Washington State? So in Continental USA, there are two people I know of who explicitly accept 775x movements .. Vaccum in Florida and George in Texas.

If you are already a customer of the Zigmeister, I'm sure he would be happy to service it as well, but he's in Canada.

The 3-hander can go to one of several people, since it's less complex.

And yes, you can buy a used swiss ETA movement on eBay or some such place for $120 or less (in a watch or loose in a package) but will it need a service, too? And who will swap it into your watch for free? You'd have to pay for that too.

You are misinformed on a number of items, here's the details you are missing/overlooking.

I appreciate that time is money and these are complicated movements, however, these are not "expensive" watches

A "cheap" or "expensive" movement is irrelevant to the tooling, skills, etc needed to properly service the movement. In fact, it's more "expensive" for the watchmaker to service a "cheap" movement than an expensive one, why? because the cheap movement typically has many flaws/defects that need to be corrected to make the movement run properly.

and I would expect that if a brand new movement costs less than servicing, then the time to service one is not equal to the time and materials of creating and assembling a new movement, even assembly line work, thus my point about expense.

That would be correct if your "brand new movement" was properly serviced. All ETA Swiss movements that are sold are used surplus, condition varies, it could be perfect and pristine or very old gummed up oil and in dire need of servicing, what you get is anyone's guess. All Asian movements are in poor condition when "brand new" and as above most need a lot of work to make them run properly for the long term.

Regardless, once serviced how long should you expect before needing services again?

If serviced properly, the interval is 5 years before the oils dry up. Emphasis on "properly" because there are many who'll gladly take your money and do nothing but put a few drops of oil on some pivots and adjust and time the movement, or worse carry out a "swish-n-dip" where the complete assembled movement is placed in a cleaner/oil bath and this is considered "servicing".

Like I said before, you get what you pay for...cheap = cheap.

If you are price shopping your using the wrong criteria for making your decision, you should be shopping for the best quality, not lowest price...

You won't find a more resonable and competent watch repair person than The Zigmeister.

Not to mention the piece of mind that comes with the confidence that the job will be done right to the highest of standards.

You can't put a price tag on trust! :)

You are misinformed on a number of items, here's the details you are missing/overlooking.

A "cheap" or "expensive" movement is irrelevant to the tooling, skills, etc needed to properly service the movement. In fact, it's more "expensive" for the watchmaker to service a "cheap" movement than an expensive one, why? because the cheap movement has many flaws/defects that need to be corrected to make the movement run properly.

That would be correct if your "brand new movement" was properly serviced. All ETA Swiss movements that are sold are used surplus, condition could be perfect and pristine condition to very old gummed up oil and in dire need of servicing. All Asian movements are in poor condition when "brand new" and as above need a lot of work to make them run properly for the long term.

If serviced properly, the interval is 5 years before the oils dry up. Emphasis on "properly" because there are many who'll gladly take your money and do nothing but put a few drops of oil on some pivots and time the movement or worse, carry out a "swish-n-dip" where the complete assembled movement is placed in a cleaner/oil bath and this is considered "servicing", it isn't.

Like I said before, you get what you pay for...cheap = cheap.

AMEN!

Listen to the Zigmeister, he is the maestro of watches!! He's done a bunch for me including fixing some other ham hands AKA "Mr thumbs" screwups! Every one of mine has run well and still runs well. he has done genuine and reps including the only documented Doxa Pre- sub dive watch to surface in the world!! As with most anything in this life, you gets what you pay for.

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”