When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone here had kidney stones?

vlydog

Spent three hours curled up on the floor of a men's room in a closed public building on a Friday early evening at the beginning of a 3 day weekend praying for death. Passed out at least twice from the pain, would happily have traded it for multiple kicks to my balls. Eventually, literally crawled out when I heard the janitor cleaning the floor in the hallway. He called EMT, went to hospital, 2 hours later with a boatload of IV drugs to ease the pain I popped out 3 about the same size as yours. My sister-in-law who is an OB/GYN who has passed a couple stones herself says that it is worse than childbirth.

Did you make jewelry out of it? Might as well put it to good use........lol. Just kidding B. and I feel sorry for you. I heard the pain is similar to having a baby....not that I

experienced that!

Hope you're feeling better now!

Cheers! f-

Ouch indeed! Had my share of kidney stones (*knocking on wood*) in my early 20's.. The pain is unbearable.. Was planned for surgery as it just would not budge and was totally blocking the flow from my right kidney for days. But when going for a pre-anaesthetic wee at the hospital I heard a tinkle from it hitting the porcelain.. Whoa! What a relief! :)

4.5mm. It took me almost four weeks(!!) to pass the thing.

I woke up on my birthday and felt this incredible pain in my abdomen. At first, I thought that something had actually burst inside me because the pain was incredible. I was misdiagnosed as having appendicitis, so I went directly to the hospital. They did a couple MRIs and found that it was actually a 4.5mm stone that had just started thru my ureter. It took me so long to pass the thing that I actually thought that it had broken up and that I had unknowingly [censored] it out. I was wrong; I had to fish the damn thing out of a urinal to be tested—not my finest moment, but very worthwhile because I learned that my diet was increasing the likelihood that I would develop more. Five years later, I haven't had another. *knock on wood*

Did you make jewelry out of it? Might as well put it to good use........lol. Just kidding B. and I feel sorry for you. I heard the pain is similar to having a baby....not that I

experienced that!

Hope you're feeling better now!

Cheers! f-

I've seen some of the jewelery but my stone is off to the lab.

Thanks F!

My prescribed percaset was just not cutting it. I had to double the dosage to feel any relief, It was most defineitly the most severe pain I have ever experienced.

Stone took a week to pass. Sonogram shows more stones in the kidneys.

WOW..sorry to hear that. Glad It's over and hope you never have to through that hell again.

About 4 months ago my father had a particularly bad case of stones. So much so that he couldn't pass them; not because they were large, but very small.

Eventually he had to go in for minor surgery, where they went through his back into the kidney had sucked them out. When I visited the day after the surgery, the urologist showed me the stones in a vial and they looked like a teaspoon of golf course sand or granulated sugar.

I heard the pain is similar to having a baby....not that I

experienced that!

Women have told me It's like giving birth...without pain killers.

Funny ... I had a nurse who had 3 kids tell me she'd rather give birth again.

When they start, the pain is actually in your lower back area. Imagine someone hitting you repeatedly with a baseball bat in that area and you'll come close to what it feels like. The majority of the pain is actually caused by the stone moving through the ureter to the bladder.

The first one I had was jagged, and got stuck at the entrance to my bladder. Was in and out of the ER for four days (gotta love morphine though). Had to be surgically removed, and I'll spare the squeemish from exactly how it came out, but I'm sure you can guess.

Second one hurt just as bad, but passed on it's own after a few days.

Here's a trick that will help ... in addition to whatever else (like Percoset) they give you, ask for a 800mg prescription of Ibuprophen. My urologist told me it's fast acting to the kidneys. Had that for my second bout and it made it almost bearable. Also, if you are prone calcium stones, the doc will likely tell you to have something acidic in your drink (like lemon) or drink cranberry juice. Guess it helps keep them from forming. So far it's working for me, and I knock on wood every day.

• Like 1

Funny ... I had a nurse who had 3 kids tell me she'd rather give birth again.

When they start, the pain is actually in your lower back area. Imagine someone hitting you repeatedly with a baseball bat in that area and you'll come close to what it feels like. The majority of the pain is actually caused by the stone moving through the ureter to the bladder.

The first one I had was jagged, and got stuck at the entrance to my bladder. Was in and out of the ER for four days (gotta love morphine though). Had to be surgically removed, and I'll spare the squeemish from exactly how it came out, but I'm sure you can guess.

Second one hurt just as bad, but passed on it's own after a few days.

Here's a trick that will help ... in addition to whatever else (like Percoset) they give you, ask for a 800mg prescription of Ibuprophen. My urologist told me it's fast acting to the kidneys. Had that for my second bout and it made it almost bearable. Also, if you are prone calcium stones, the doc will likely tell you to have something acidic in your drink (like lemon) or drink cranberry juice. Guess it helps keep them from forming. So far it's working for me, and I knock on wood every day.

I have gout...which can and does cause the build up of uric acid In the blood. In turn...that uric acid can cause stones. I've been very very lucky so far. I try to drink about a gallon a water a day with quite a bit of cranberry and cherry juice. Both can help reduce the formation of such stones. No 100% guarantee...but It does Indeed help.

Mike