When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG 6265 6263 vintage Daytona build tutorial!

janeto72

Hi gang,

i am about to embark on a 6263/5 vintage daytona build.I would like to share my build with everyone and go through it step by step.I would like for it to be a tutorial of some sorts and have everyone in the know and RWG community that has an interest in these daytonas to be involved. Let all work together to build this one and troubleshoot as a team as we go on our little journey!!!Post to this thread if you are interested participating!!!

thanks,

janeto72

Good luck my friend! It is indeed a thrilling and expensive journey. I purchased my 1st already built from a fellow member here. I just received my second back fm The Zigmeister this week. It's stunning! Both have screw-down pushers.

The third, a non-screw down 6239/6241 is awaiting only the perfect Newman dial. Just saving for a Phong or Minh dial.

I enjoy all the builds on here if I could offer any help.

I would gladly.

I have recently bought heaps of bits for the daytona build. I bought some hands from Clarks and look forward to receiving them with some anticipation. I find the clarks tudor hands (eta datejust)look great hopefully these are the same.

So now begins the build.....a quick list of the parts aquired and some pics to look over. .....
1.) Phong case with semi vintage look and watchmaker's service markings inside case
2.) 1960's V72 movemnt serviced by the zigmister a.k.a. "The Zigmeister" pictured is the doner watch with Valjoux 72 movement still in it
3.) Gen Sigma dial circa 1975
4.) Gen 24 p302 pushers
5.) Gen 24 7030 tube
6.) Gen 24 703 crown
7.) 2 Gen hand sets. One is tritium and the other is luminova
8.) Gen MK2 6265 Bezel
9.) Phong MK4 6263 bezel
10.) Gen 19 mm spring bars
11.) Gen 19 mm 78350 19 bracelet
12.) Gen 571 endlinks
13.) Gen T21 bevelled plastic crystal
Am i missing anything poeple?
Let me know....

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8547.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg

Edited by janeto72
  • Like 1

You just made a lot of people very jealous! Looks like you have everything you need, just the stem which you prob have. I can't wait to see it built. Did zig make you mounting points for the v72 to attach to the phong case?

Zig hasn't made any mounting points as of yet. let's talk a little more about the mounting points. Maybe you can chime in cc33 and tell everyone more about this issue/mod for the phong case..... Edited by janeto72

From what I have read, most v72 movements won't mount properly in the phong case, (which is the same as gen), without adding case clamps. Here is a quote from zig

"Unfortunately this is not an easy fix, not for this V72. This V72 doesn't have the required holes for the screw and clamps, the holes should be next to the balance and the other is under the operating lever spring.

The only way to get the holes in the movement, is to drill and thread them, that requires tooling and the necessary skills. You can only do this if you have the movement completely disassembled, then you can drill the mainplate and untrasoinc clean it before assembly."

I was wondering if he had done this for yours since you will be transplanting it into the phong case.

I made a post some time back about the different series of valjoux 72 about. There seems to be a few different models. I think when choosing a doner movement you just have to pay attention to how it mounts in the case.

I struck another stumbling block on my daytona build. I assembled the 703 tube into the case and swapped out the DW pusher so I had two Clarks units. greased up all the seals and put into a glass then filled it with water. It leaked so I dried it out put it on a tapered plate face up. I filled it so the pushers and stem were submerged.

No leaks.

I turned it over and then filled the plate so just the bezel and crystal were submerged. turned it over and it had taken on water.

I can only assume the crystal is not sealing.

Considering the id of the bezel has been sanded I would think this could cause the issue. If sanded too far. Maybe there is not enough pressure on the crystal to the od of the rehaut.

It has a J@k crystal are these any good regarding being waterproof.

The case is from DW is there any chance of getting a waterproof daytona.

You almost need an oracle service with Daytona builds. There are so many little issues that seem to pop up.

Don't swim with your Daytona.. I don't. I wouldn't swim with the gen version either. They weren't really meant for that imo. Swim with a sub or sd. I have a bunch of them, frankens dw's and spinmaster's I have no idea if they would hold up in water but like I said I wouldn't even try. put your efforts into getting the case just right finish wise, and slap it on when you go for a drive.

Don't swim with your Daytona.. I don't. I wouldn't swim with the gen version either. They weren't really meant for that imo. Swim with a sub or sd. I have a bunch of them, frankens dw's and spinmaster's I have no idea if they would hold up in water but like I said I wouldn't even try. put your efforts into getting the case just right finish wise, and slap it on when you go for a drive.

I used in a pool the following with no problems:

- EE 6263 Valjoux

- Dw 6263 7750

- Dw 6239 7750

All wp by Domi..

Also the pump pushers resisted..

Surely a waterproof watch is not unreasonable.

I tried to lift the bezel with my nails and was able to separate it from the midcase a few mm so i think i will have to look at a new bezel.

I never swim or shower with a watch. If I sweat in a watch I usually will take the watch off at the end of the day and wash it when I wash my hands sometimes with soapy water.

Any watch should be able to withstand this.

I think if you asked me what the biggest hurdle with assembling parts for a daytona build is knowing whether the rep parts are going to be up to the job. The comparisons that have been done by some of the members here are really great.

Today i decided to trial fit the gen pushers and crown tube to the phong case. I am sure it is no surprise but they do not fit or thread into the case. So now, the next step will be to retap the case for the gen B24 P302 pushers and gen B24 7030 crown tube.So what taps will be needed? Any suggestions would be appreciated from everyone.I would need the correct tap sizes ,tool and which supplier to purchase the tool(s) from.Let the journey begin!!!

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

Edited by janeto72

I just bought the tap from a seller on ebay. The first item I bought was not in stock and I had to cancel the order and re order with another seller.

I know the 703 needs an M3 x 0.35 tap.

I ran this in by hand i.e with no tap holder.

It looks like the phong case has been counterbored and counter sunk for the 703 tube so hopefully just running the tap through will be o.k, this was one part of working on the DW case that was very trial and error. But I am really happy with the way It ended up.

I searched and search for photos that showed the amount of the tube to be proud from the mid case. I found this is one area a lot get wrong. With the tube being counter sunk and screwed too close to the case. Freddy is good at this also. Actually I think Freddy and his fine photographic skills are to blame for me desire to build a daytona

There are not many options for the tube tool on ebay. These were actually much cheaper through the local swiss watch material supplier than on ebay.

I had a tool from my old days as a fitter and turner that allowed the installation of the spline section of the pusher easily.

But I had trouble with the pusher I ordered from Clark. the outer section was a bit loose and wobbly and when installed it was more prominent. I sent Gary a message and maybe he will sort it out for me.

I have seen Freddy has a specific tool for installing pushers but have not seen aftermarket units.

I cannot confirm the pusher thread I thought it was M2.5 x 0.25

The pusher I installed matched the threads in the case.

I think the case I have is very similar in thickness to the case pictured here. Even though it is from DW