When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why in general do gen watch owners hate reps ?

alterego

That's a cracking looking watch Teejay, did you put that together?

Many thanks :good::drinks: Yes, it is pretty much stock, but I swapped the stock SEL oyster bracelet for my favorite DIY oyster (hollow endlinks, with 16610-style push down extension), and matte varnished the dial for the lols to create a look inspired by the varnish breakdown on some 16800s. To my knowledge, none of the GMT IIs from the same mid-eighties period suffered from gloss to matte breakdown in the same manner as some 16800's did, but I liked the look, so decided to give it a go :) My only regret, is that I reassembled it before the varnish was 100% dry, there was hand binding, so I had to remove the hand again, and in the process left a mark in the varnish, but for the most part, I'm pleased with the outcome, as it just adds to the wabi-sabi aesthetic :) Not bad for a watch which I only bought to serve as a movement donor :victory: Here's a clearer pic showing all the grain of the dial (not actually as noticeable to the naked eye as this photo...)

DSCN4647.jpg

The day you need foodstamps mate, would be the day I pay you to test drive the newest Audis in UK for me. :lol:

:tu: :tu:

Cheers Teejay, must pick one up, I like it, matte dial on it is cool, it's very heavy matte but I think that adds to the appeal.

It was a fun little mod for sure :lol: The close up shows way more detail than the eye picks up, but I also applied three coats of varnish (one to repair a smudge mid-drying) so I would recommend just two light coats of matte spray to get a lighter effect :) Unless the watch is in direct sunlight, it just looks matte black most of the time :good::drinks:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And anyone acting like they really dont want the gen of the fake they are buying here,is lying to himself as well. Take By-Tor,he finally got to buy the gens he wanted after his days here with reps,where is he now??. Come on guys,cut the bs.

Hey Dave. What's up?

Late reply but I just wanted to make it clear: The whole rep vs. gen thing has never been a big deal for me. I'm passionate about my favorite watch models and I wanted the gens of them because I genuinely love those models and you're absolutely correct: the replicas can't hold a candle to them. For a hardcore enthusiast gens are the only way to go... when it comes to your favorite ones. It's nice and practical to have reps of some liked, but lesser loved ones. I still wear my reps too (I have a few of them).

The reason I haven't been around is that I lost my passion for watch reviews and photography. Maybe I got burned out a bit. To be honest, I haven't followed the watch scene at all (rep and gen). I think I needed a break... now I'm getting interested again.

Still... I don't really care what other people think about my watches. I also have a gen Rolex but I still wear my Submariner WM9 regularly and only one person ever commented. He automatically assumed it was a genuine Sub and I didn't bother to correct him. That didn't make feel like a "dishonest person"... maybe I lost my morals somewhere along the journey. :D It's just a watch and very few people would ever notice it. It's no big deal... they just cost a few thousand Euros. What's the big deal.... any working adult could afford a Rolex... save the people who are flipping burgers at Ronald McDonalds.

• Like 1

I have always felt that the gen world is largely about bragging rights... sometimes silent bragging, but bragging al the same. A few watches and a few people I can believe really merit a lot of value in their function and appreciation of said fnciton. But most of thje haters I suspect hate becasue they bought luxury watches to join an exclusive club... only aftger paying their entrance fee they look out the window and see next door some schmoe who paid a $5 cover to get into a bar with almost the same quality chairs drinks and food... they feel ripped off but admitting it means admitting they were willing to pay for prestige, not value of product.

Since it's a hard thing to admit to yourself you are shallow, it's far easier to hate on otehrs for making you feel that way and realize you are the one making you feel that way.

Edited by Devedander
  • Like 1

It has been said that many buy expensive genuine watches to show others they have the money to blow on shiny little trinkets. Well...they do not have the $$ any longer because they blew it on a watch that is probably worth a fraction of what they paid for it.

If a 'Fashion Blaster' type of guy can wear a different expensive genuine watch every day...evidently he has/had the buck$. If the same type of guy wears the same watch every day...looks to me like he really does not have the buck$.

Maybe what pizzes off many of the genuine watch guys is that the replica watch guys get the same mileage for a fraction of the buck$. :pimp:

(I could wear a different watch every day but they would have to be dollar watches after a few days)

• Like 1

My boss had exactly this rant at me when I told him a watch that I was wearing was a rep.

The funniest thing is that he couldn't see the paradox of saying this whilst he was wearing a gen Omega and a fake tan.

Apparently, it's all wrong to wear a watch that isn't the 'real thing', but quite O.K. to lead people to believe that your tan came from a sun-kissed beach in the Bahamas, and not out of an aerosol made in Hong Kong.

It's a funny old world........

Edited by davylloyd
  • Like 2

Maybe what pizzes off many of the genuine watch guys is that the replica watch guys get the same mileage for a fraction of the buck$. :pimp:

(I could wear a different watch every day but they would have to be dollar watches after a few days)

The funniest thing is that he couldn't see the paradox of saying this whilst he was wearing a gen Omega and a fake tan.

why do you always need to find excuses to justify the purchase of reps. And how can you compare tan to a replica product. Maybe he can afford a vacation in bahamas for real tan but have no time, but you wear replica because you cant afford the real one. Dont become too obssesed with them. I hope one day you will realize why its wrong..

why do you always need to find excuses to justify the purchase of reps. And how can you compare tan to a replica product. Maybe he can afford a vacation in bahamas for real tan but have no time, but you wear replica because you cant afford the real one. Dont become too obssesed with them. I hope one day you will realize why its wrong..

But for many members here, that is simply not true: Many have collections involving both reps and gens, so 'being able to afford it' is not necessarily always the immediate reason for wearing reps :) At the moment, I can't afford to buy reps, let alone gens ( :bangin::lol: ) but having learned what I've learned here, I can't see me ever buying a rep gen, even if I had the disposable funds to do so :)

[Edit to correct]

Thanks for the catch, bro :good::drinks:

Maybe some can afford one or two gens total for lets say 10k, but if all the reps you wear in rotation every weak were gens, all would cost maybe 200k? if could afford to have 200k in watches wouldnt have bothered with reps,

desire to own 10 gens worth 200k, can afford? no, so you buy reps =)

but having learned what I've learned here, I can't see me ever buying a gen, even if I had the disposable funds to do so :)

im sure your thoughts will change if you get the disposable funds

I can very easily afford the real one, and I don't feel the need to justify buying a rep. I buy it because I want to - that's all the justification I need.

• Like 1

im sure your thoughts will change if you get the disposable funds

I have to admit, I can't see it happening... The only reason I say that, is because when I first bought my EuroFakes Submariner, it was because I wasn't prepared to spend the cash on the gen, even though I could have afforded to do so... While I'm hoping that my future finances will improve and be different, I grew up, and still am, very frugal with cash, for example, I buy supermarket generic cola rather than Coca Cola or Pepsi, and habits like those, formed over a lifetime of almost always having to scrape by and make do, I suspect will be very hard, if not impossible to break... Even if money was no object, I simply don't think I'd be able to justify the cost of a gen, over a rep :pardon::good::drinks:

Talk about frugality, buying reps had made me realize two things:

1) I don't ever want to buy a genuine watch (other than a vintage patek philippe dress watch)

2) that I'm never really satisfied with the quality of replicas when I know that I build a better one :bangin: .

This led me to the path of building my own reps &frankens, often with expensive parts and equipments. So for the past 2 years, I've attempted to make my own dials, only to find that my equipment needs some upgrading to do it more consistenly, my methods take too much time and has a failure rate more than 80%. I think I can build parts for my pad printer to increase its consistency with a good enough lathe but that's another topic. I see myself 10-20 years down the road building an atalier in my basement with watchmaking lathes trying to re-create a patek philippe movement from scratch and this will be very expensive. Call me crazy, but that's what I enjoy doing. That's after I establish my own career first of course.

I'm trying to emulate Dan Spitz, who left his music career to pursue watchmaking. Oddly enough, he doesn't collect the expensive watches even though he could. But by being a watchmaker, he can appreciate the art of watchmaking more than the wealthy collector who normally see nothing more than the case, dial and provenance. Here's his interview from hodinkee: http://www.hodinkee.com/interview-meet-dan-spitz-anthrax-guitarist-turned-master-watchmaker

• Like 2

One of the best things with gens is that you can try a type of watch for a reasonable prize. If you like it you can buy a gen if you like. I did that myself. Now I am wearing a gen two tone Sub.

As a result of this I have asked myself what is special with a Rolex? I like the feeling and the look of it, and the knowledge of knowing it is a gen. I know, and not anybody else. But I am also a great fan of my franken SMP and plain rep UPO.

The productions of reps are showing that the producers are having a good knowledge and are creating high quality products. What if the rep factories started to create their own brands? We all know the quality (and support) they would give to their products! I have a (gen!) Tao International. Chinese all the way. Perfect thing! But would you pay the same for this as for a rep of Breitling?

I have not seen Tao International selling those “tribute watches” as the Gen-People call it. A tribute watch might look like a Submariner, but might has the name Seiko Submariner or something like that.

I guess myself; I would not buy the “Tao International” Sea Wolf. Even though I know the quality is good, I know that. But one of our trusted dealers Sea Wolf; I would like that. Again; it has to do with feelings. The gen-factories has given also us the bands value and “bling value”. And we like it…

(Guess I will go an swap to the franken SMP....)

8-)

One of the best things with gens is that you can try a type of watch for a reasonable prize. If you like it you can buy a gen if you like. I did that myself. Now I am wearing a gen two tone Sub.

As a result of this I have asked myself what is special with a Rolex? I like the feeling and the look of it, and the knowledge of knowing it is a gen. I know, and not anybody else. But I am also a great fan of my franken SMP and plain rep UPO.

The productions of reps are showing that the producers are having a good knowledge and are creating high quality products. What if the rep factories started to create their own brands? We all know the quality (and support) they would give to their products! I have a (gen!) Tao International. Chinese all the way. Perfect thing! But would you pay the same for this as for a rep of Breitling?

I have not seen Tao International selling those “tribute watches” as the Gen-People call it. A tribute watch might look like a Submariner, but might has the name Seiko Submariner or something like that.

I guess myself; I would not buy the “Tao International” Sea Wolf. Even though I know the quality is good, I know that. But one of our trusted dealers Sea Wolf; I would like that. Again; it has to do with feelings. The gen-factories has given also us the bands value and “bling value”. And we like it…

(Guess I will go an swap to the franken SMP....)

8-)

If they were quality and individual designs, then absolutely, such watches would be fantastic value :) I think the issue that some have with the self-branded homage watches, is that the makers are trying to claim the design as their own. Rep manufacturers might be ripping off the design entirely, but they are then replicating the design, and presenting the product as said brandname, not saying "Hey, look at this cool watch I designed myself..." :whistling:

my 2cents worth:

a. If one wears a replica, it may not mean that he is not able to afford the real McCoy. He could be fascinated with the design, but not the price. Ethics aside, there are many factors why someone chooses to wear a rep. I have gens and I have the rep for my gen. I don't see anything wrong with that. Whatcha gonna do, chop my wrist off? :D

b. If one wears a gen, do not automatically assume that he could REALLY afford one. You and I would not know the financial obligations and resources that the gen wearer has. Often, our choices in luxuries of life boil down to how much we really want something, and the sacrifices made to get that something.

c. It is purely a man's own business, whether he chooses to wear a gen, rep, franken, or gaudy toy watch from Toys 'R Us. There is the question of good taste of course, but let each man wear his watch of choice and face the consequences, be it compliments, deride, criticism or downright debasement.

d. There is nothing we can do, to stop anyone from choosing to wear a gen or rep. The sun will rise tomorrow, bringing with it fair shares of wearers of both gen and rep watches, and it shines on both camps equally. (Unless you're in Alaska, sorry Nanuq :D)

e. Collecting and appreciation replica watches is a hobby. To me, there are a lot more possibilities of modifying and trading them with other enthusiasts. I am a gen owner,and I do own watches that go beyond the run-of-the-mill gens. But no, I don't hate rep owners at all. I like to mingle, interact with, learn from and trade with rep owners, because I am ALSO a rep owner. I find this community a lot more fun, candid and knowledgable than the gen forums I joined. A lot less upturned noses too. Who gives a damn if you own a gen or rep? As long as you enjoy it, its all good. There will always be differences in opinions, but you have a choice of who to listen to (and who to give a good kick in the nuts to).

my 2cents worth:

a. If one wears a replica, it may not mean that he is not able to afford the real McCoy. He could be fascinated with the design, but not the price. Ethics aside, there are many factors why someone chooses to wear a rep. I have gens and I have the rep for my gen. I don't see anything wrong with that. Whatcha gonna do, chop my wrist off? :D

b. If one wears a gen, do not automatically assume that he could REALLY afford one. You and I would not know the financial obligations and resources that the gen wearer has. Often, our choices in luxuries of life boil down to how much we really want something, and the sacrifices made to get that something.

c. It is purely a man's own business, whether he chooses to wear a gen, rep, franken, or gaudy toy watch from Toys 'R Us. There is the question of good taste of course, but let each man wear his watch of choice and face the consequences, be it compliments, deride, criticism or downright debasement.

d. There is nothing we can do, to stop anyone from choosing to wear a gen or rep. The sun will rise tomorrow, bringing with it fair shares of wearers of both gen and rep watches, and it shines on both camps equally. (Unless you're in Alaska, sorry Nanuq :D)

e. Collecting and appreciation replica watches is a hobby. To me, there are a lot more possibilities of modifying and trading them with other enthusiasts. I am a gen owner,and I do own watches that go beyond the run-of-the-mill gens. But no, I don't hate rep owners at all. I like to mingle, interact with, learn from and trade with rep owners, because I am ALSO a rep owner. I find this community a lot more fun, candid and knowledgable than the gen forums I joined. A lot less upturned noses too. Who gives a damn if you own a gen or rep? As long as you enjoy it, its all good. There will always be differences in opinions, but you have a choice of who to listen to (and who to give a good kick in the nuts to).

Very well said lk. Many of the members here have gens. So I guess the days they wear their gens they are upstanding genuine classy folks. But the days they wear there reps they turn Into to unethical disingenuous scumbags. :fishing: Anyone who would judge a persons worth by how much there watch cost has serious Issues. Some of them are here In this thread. ;)

My answer to the Op's question...." Why In general do gen watch owners hate reps"? Thats a easy one. This is for you Killer of legends. :tu:

post-19368-0-73758800-1348823807_thumb.j

Very well said lk. Many of the members here have gens. So I guess the days they wear their gens they are upstanding genuine classy folks. But the days they wear there reps they turn Into to unethical disingenuous scumbags. :fishing: Anyone who would judge a persons worth by how much there watch cost has serious Issues. Some of them are here In this thread. ;)

My answer to the Op's question...." Why In general do gen watch owners hate reps"? Thats a easy one. This is for you Killer of legends. :tu:

oh my, the prodigal son returns! :lol: :lol:

Welcome back my bro, and yes, your pic says it all.. its your wrist, its your watch. Why give a f for anything more? :D