When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why in general do gen watch owners hate reps ?

alterego

This thread is back and it looks it'll go on and on for sometime. The topic is hot because it addreses a serious issue:  genuine interest in watches, regardless their origin versus watches as proof economic success.  Rep and gen  collectors  is a small community, comparaed to the millions and millions who buy gens and reps for social recognition. Our adventage over the other guys is that we have watches because we love them, whereas most of the other people do it to play the "you are what you own" game, which moves the world today.

Incidentally, my next car is going to be a MINI Cooper. Whch I'll buy for the fun of having it nd driving it, and obviously not for it's socio economic signigicance.

Cheers!!!

This thread is back and it looks it'll go on and on for sometime. The topic is hot because it addreses a serious issue:  genuine interest in watches, regardless their origin versus watches as proof economic success.  Rep and gen  collectors  is a small community, comparaed to the millions and millions who buy gens and reps for social recognition. Our adventage over the other guys is that we have watches because we love them, whereas most of the other people do it to play the "you are what you own" game, which moves the world today.

Incidentally, my next car is going to be a MINI Cooper. Whch I'll buy for the fun of having it nd driving it, and obviously not for it's socio economic signigicance.

Cheers!!!

One of the other docs I work with collects watches and he knows nothing about them. He has Rolex, Daniels and AP that I know of. When he wears a watch, he does not even know what model it is.

For starters, as far as I can tell the VRF marketplace is infested with franken builders. Great, good luck to them but please don't start looking down your nose at the rep world! They are as guilty of replication as we are. I bet your average VRF franken builder wearing his perfectly formed (from various gen parts) Sub regards his watch as a genuine Rolex product, well I've got news for you - it's not. Only a watch that came out of the Rolex factory and has only ever been worked on by Rolex is a gen. If you have assembled a watch from various parts from various sources then you have made a frankenstein, which is only one step away from a rep

I will point out that on WUS it is pretty clear that they consider Frankens to be "Fakes" and, as such, any discussuion of them is forbidden. Of curse, forbidding discussion is what has pushed me out of WUS. 

I understand their point that they do not allow any discussion  of any activity that could be criminal in any part of the world. I understand it; but, it is a silly standard. In addition to being silly, it is not applied consistantly. They apply it to watches and pictures of firearms; however, they forget that in some strictly Islamic countries it is illegal for men to wear Gold and Silk. However, they allow free discussion of silk ties and gold watches that are clearly intended for men to wear. Thus, they are promoting what is, in some place in the world, an unlawful act. 

Yes, I find the whole discussion entainering; but, ultimatly, silly.

Edited by Hasaf

Interesting thread.

I've seen people get offended similarly for pirating music and software.

I guess people love their products and brands even if they're not investors in those companies whose products are being counterfeited.

I think it's a problem for the watch industry to worry about for sure but what the [censored] do I care lol

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I would like to say that there is no such thing as a fake watch that runs. If the watch has a movement that works and it tells the time then it is not a 'fake watch' it is a real, actual watch. That's just to the fools who look down on our wonderful hobby.

Now, I'd like to address the issue of honesty amongst the gen communiuty. For starters, as far as I can tell the VRF marketplace is infested with franken builders. Great, good luck to them but please don't start looking down your nose at the rep world! They are as guilty of replication as we are. I bet your average VRF franken builder wearing his perfectly formed (from various gen parts) Sub regards his watch as a genuine Rolex product, well I've got news for you - it's not. Only a watch that came out of the Rolex factory and has only ever been worked on by Rolex is a gen. If you have assembled a watch from various parts from various sources then you have made a frankenstein, which is only one step away from a rep. And, whilst we are on the subject what does a gen owner do if his watch breaks and the part required to make it work again is no longer available, at all, anywhere? Then he finds a company or individual who is manufacturing that part in the same material and to the same exacting standards as the original company did. Does he put the watch in his sock drawer and never wear it? No, of course not. He is perfectly within his rights to buy the (rep) part and enjoy his watch again, regardless of what others think. It's still a lovely watch, now it's a lovely watch that works. Good.

I own reps and gens. I prefer reps. I like the research and gathering of parts. I like the fact that financially, building reps opens up the availability of the pieces I really like to suit my budget. I like the fact that I can buy parts piece by piece thus spreading the cost rather than having to blow thousands in one hit. I like the fact that a decent rep is like sticking two finger up the the gen companies because I strongly suspect that their 'swiss made' pieces are far from 100% Swiss. 

“It is not generally known that quite a few Swiss companies have watches assembled in China for export to North America, Asia and even Europe, where the brand name is more important that the “Swiss made” label. Such watches may consist of a Chinese case and a Chinese crystal, a Taiwan-made dial and metal bracelet and Japanese hands. If the movement is to be considered Swiss, 51% of its value must be Swiss and at least the last wheel must be added in Switzerland. Swiss watch brands without the “Swiss made” label are usually equipped with a Japanese movement. The “Swiss parts” label means that the movement is assembled in Asia using kits consisting at least partially of Swiss made components.”

The Swiss law is quite complicated when it comes to what is swiss made and what is not - some say this is by design but it seems that if 50% of the value (note - value, not quantity) of the parts are made in switzerland and the movement is encased in Switzerland then you can legally call it a swiss made watch. So, if Rolex had parts for their movements made in China but 50% of the value of the total parts (ie a few expensive bits) were made in Switzerland and the movement was encased in Switzerland then you have got yourself a genuine Swiss Rolex. I'm sorry but that's not good enough for me. I'd rather be honest about a watch and say to whoever it may concern that I am a hobbyist who amasses parts and has his favourite watches built by skilled people and yes, they are real watches and yes they are waterproof and yes they keep excellent time and yes they will withstand the same amount of wear and abuse as one that came out of Rolex's swiss/chinese factories and yes they can cost thousands to make etc etc. Rant over...

:pimp:

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

From experience, at the end of the day, WE are the ones who pay the most attention to our own watches, while casually glancing at the watches of our neighbors.

I know this is very old, but I've been reading about reps a lot lately (I own 4 myself) and happened to come across this post.

I couldn't agree more! I feel my watch on my wrist, I look at it when I need the time, I look at it just because, I am the one who enjoys it.

It would never occur to me to buy a watch for others to see.

It makes me chuckle when "purists" get their panties all in a bunch about replica watches. Most of them couldn't even spot a decent replica I'd like to bet!

We get the same over on the bmw forums when people dare to put an m sport badge on a non m car. It causes tears and teddy throwing on an almost daily basis lol

And on the vintage Land Rover forum, people are applauded for stuffing new engines from other makers in, fitting disc brakes, axles from someone else, new wiring looms, even replacement chassis and body panels.

That's the equivalent of a Yuki case, ETA movement, NDT dial and hands, and keeping the original crown.

homage-watches-gear-patrol-lead-full.jpg

HOMAGE watches are something different from replicas surely?

Within the watch industry there exists a thriving category of timepieces that is wholly unoriginal, reviled by some yet beloved by many. This is the realm of the so-called “homage” watch. An homage watch is one that apes the look of a more famous existing timepiece — sometimes vintage, sometimes contemporary — but sells for a fraction of the price of its inspiration.

People at all levels of social stratification work very hard to get to a certain level of success and prosperity measured against their peers. This success is represented by status and quality of their property and social circles. Facebook counted on this. So most people live in neighborhoods that reflect their level success and often choose cars, clothes, food, and other discretionary, and non discretionary items this way.

Luxury watches are no different. So if you work really hard, or live a life of privilege, and the symbols of your social circles are GEN Daytonas, you will expect to have a certain rapport even with strangers sporting GEN Daytonas. And chances are you will have some common ground that is acceptable within your in-common social strata. If the person is wearing a rep AND they do not belong at your social level, you will wonder about their credibility, honesty, and many other things.

Why some people actually get angry is hard to say but it probably has to do with taking offense in a personal way. That rep wearer does not deserve to wear the same symbols that I wear, or the fact that there are frauds among us cheapens our worth.

Just speculating on your interesting subject smile.png

You sir are completely on the money.