When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When Pigs Fly; Tales of My Lucky Estate Sale Find

Probably not the best choice while riding Space Mountain ;)

Ehhhh... I know. It's bad enough that Space Mountain makes me want to puke :wacko: But all that jarring motion might be a bit much for a sensitive movement like this one! :)

That is one gogeous watch R.!

I always wonder how you manage to come up with all these parts.......

Thank you thank you -_-

Finding the parts is sometimes more about luck than anything else... I have some good leads and sources, but a lot of the bits that went into this one were not from usual sources :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kindly, legend and GBOGH. Much appreciated.

And you are correct; the small subsidiary dial is in fact running seconds.

Watch is currently in the process of getting fresh oil and some other work done up north. From what I have heard thus far, it needed some attention!

Thank you for the clarification.. Actually this is the first vintage dress watch that I took a fancy to in a long while. From the pictures, I noticed the subdial hand was slightly off the center, to the left.. I assume that the movement has not been fitted yet?

I am looking forward to seeing this again when its up and running on your wrist. Truly a beauty. :thumbs:

Well, the movement is cased, dial and hands fitted; the small seconds hand was sitting at 0:59 instead of 0:00 in the images. I took the pics with the movement unwound.

I'm really looking forward to getting this one back with a fresh baseline for service :)

Well, now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor, I have to say...superb as always!

;)

K

Thanks, K-man! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rec’d my ref 570 back from Zigmeister a week ago today; the watch went in for an overhaul along with some fresh new parts including:

A new mainspring:

8261234647_68604eb69d_c.jpg

New balance staff:

8261234581_77642144ca_c.jpg

And three of these:

8261234551_8e25107ff1_c.jpg

The balance in the original movement was out of poise and the collet for the hairspring was crimped shut, thus not allowing for adjustment or disassembly; the watch was stable in all horizontal positions, but was +2min/-2min per day in the crown down/crown up vertical positions respectively. Granted, the errors may have cancelled out while worn on the wrist, but the rate was not exactly optimal. I picked up a new balance to remedy the situation but it was the wrong size (.5mm too large). So, I resorted to another balance that I had which needed a new staff. Zig took that balance apart, pressed in the new staff, poised the balance, pressed the roller and it was good to go.

Over the course of a week, the watch has gained about 30 seconds or rather approximately +4 sec/day. Not bad for a 70 year old movement   :)  And certainly a major improvement over the performance that the old balance was delivering.

Since having the watch back in my hands with a clean bill of health, I have to admit that all of the other pieces in my collection have quietly faded into the background. There’s really only one watch I reach for in the morning and this one is it, no matter how casual my attire may be for that day.

The overall mix of ingredients is as follows:

-Genuine PP dial with hard enameled fonts/chapters (period correct for the movement)

-Genuine PP hands for 12 ligne caliber

-Genuine PP 12 ligne movement (serial dates to ca. late 1942/early 1943)

-Genuine PP steel crown (unsigned)

-Custom fabricated case (36mm)

-Genuine PP crocodile strap

-Genuine PP 1940’s steel buckle

A couple of pics…

8262283602_b7b076e196_c.jpg

8262283742_a0016875b8_c.jpg

8262284004_27b846da25_c.jpg

8261215081_ed2318d4eb_c.jpg

8262284080_9bb3039d65_c.jpg

040.jpg

With the fabrication of the case I also had a second bezel made. The original bezel is the flat bezel which is correct for the 570. The second bezel has an angled/concave profile (a la 530) which gives the watch a very subtle elegant touch (and is the bezel I have fitted for everyday use).

8261215291_eb6037e378_c.jpg

8262284546_e3046eb25c_c.jpg

The case measures 36mm, but the lugs are long (I’ve not measured them yet); the large dial and long case give this watch the appearance and feel of a much larger watch. Despite this observation, the case sits comfortably on my 6.75" wrist and has just enough presence without being ostentatious. It’s simple design and aesthetics allow it to fly under the radar, allowing me to enjoy the simplicity of my timepiece privately.

8262284810_a0263d34f4_c.jpg

For me, it's hard not to be enamored with this watch. I steal a glance at it every chance I can  ^_^

8255778446_ceb7118057_c.jpg

8255854700_668fa67023_c.jpg

:wub:

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...