When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something to impress...

Fletchett

Hi everyone,

I am newbie here and looking for some advice.

Here is my problem.

I have recently joined a multinational company, and I have to attend on meetings every week. I am a project manager at the

engineering dep. but everyone else is way above my pay grade. Obviously all of them are wearing expensive watches.

Rolex, Omega, Tag, etc.

At the moment I don't have a decent watch (I had many other things front of this on my list) so I am kind of embarrassed when

they start to talk about watches and try to duck when the topic comes out. When it is realy unavoidable I say, "I can't make up my mind

and still looking...".

Having a mortgage, and the second baby on the way doesn't really help financially so I am looking for a rep.

Because of my watch lover collegues, I need a good rep close to the gen as possible.

Obviously they going to "sniff" around my new watch for a couple of days, so I need a rep which can pass a first an even

a second "inspection". I am not talking about an expert who is checking it with a lupe, just a well informed enthusiast check over.

I am 30 and I like sporty but also elegant watches. My favourite is the PO Chrono, but the sunken date on the rep is a dead give away.

I have already done some research and the 5th gen ultimate PO looks promising, but I am open to any suggestion...

Please don't judge me, I am willing to buy the gen when I have enough money (possibly next year) but at the moment there is

no way to afford an expensive watch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

you have come to the right place mate, and you won't get judged. In fact, if you don't buy a rep watch soon, you are likely to get your ass collectively kicked for pure insolence :D

There are many good reps being produced today, and if Omega is your thing, you might wish to look at Rolex and Panerai as well.. They would definitely more than pass casual scrutiny, don't worry..

It is best if you can narrow your choices down and list them here for more specific advice. There are many experts and gurus here who would not hesitate to lend a helping hand where it counts!

All the best and enjoy yours stay in RWG, home of the best community online. :1a:

Hi Richard,

Firstly there's not many members on here that would judge you, we all have the same [censored] going on with Mortgages Kids etc so know exactly how you feel :inverted: there are some great pieces available at the moment, the PO you have already mentioned being one of them, perhaps look at the Pams that are around too as there are not so many Gen owners about and most of them dont know the tells! Rolex too is another option BK & TC watches are great reps and have few tells to the average guy.

Whatever you decide you wont go far wrong using the dealers on here, or have a good look through the watch sales section if your lucky you might just pick up a great modded piece ;)

Best of luck with it and great first post :)

Bugger Legend beat me to it :notworthy: :notworthy: :inverted:

Hi Richard,

Firstly there's not many members on here that would judge you, we all have the same [censored] going on with Mortgages Kids etc so know exactly how you feel :inverted: there are some great pieces available at the moment, the PO you have already mentioned being one of them, perhaps look at the Pams that are around too as there are not so many Gen owners about and most of them dont know the tells! Rolex too is another option BK & TC watches are great reps and have few tells to the average guy.

Whatever you decide you wont go far wrong using the dealers on here, or have a good look through the watch sales section if your lucky you might just pick up a great modded piece ;)

Best of luck with it and great first post :)

Bugger Legend beat me to it :notworthy: :notworthy: :inverted:

:drinks: but you're still da man

You might want to consider a Seiko Spirit (SARB033 for example) until you are able to afford a gen Omega or something like that. They are very good quality and tend to look more expensive than they really are, no real watch lover will judge you for owning one, as they are generally accepted as best bang for the buck entry level-wise. They are easily on par with some of the last generation Aqua Terras or Tags. Just imagine one of your watch-savvy colleagues does notice a flaw and calls you out, I think this would really send the wrong signals.

Otherwise I'd suggest you wait until a well modded PO (gen dial and bezel) surfaces in the sales forum... Gen Speedmasters aren't too expensive either, so you might want to look at those as well.

Thank you very much for the warm velcome!

The knowledge on this site is unbeliveable, I don't think a gen owner knows that much about what is he/she wearing.

I have started to browse the brand forums, I went only through the Omega section. (probably I can afford a gen later)

It looks like there is a well known super or ultimate rep in every brand. (5th gen PO for example)

Basicaly this is what I am looking for, an out of box convincing rep.

if you like the PO model..

I suggest trying to get a franken 42mm..

if you can find a 4th generation PO franken.. It can be fitted with gen bezel, Dial, crown/tube, hands.. and that should pass most inspections.

unless of course, they put it side by side to a gen.. cause the gen beats at a lower beats per hour 25.5k vs. the rep which will be housing a eta 2824 which is beating at 28.8k.

The newer Panerai 44mm models will be cheaper for you and almost indistinguishable from the gen.. I'd go that route.

Sent using tapatalk and mental power

Edited by astrograph

You might want to consider a Seiko Spirit (SARB033 for example) until you are able to afford a gen Omega or something like that. They are very good quality and tend to look more expensive than they really are, no real watch lover will judge you for owning one, as they are generally accepted as best bang for the buck entry level-wise. They are easily on par with some of the last generation Aqua Terras or Tags. Just imagine one of your watch-savvy colleagues does notice a flaw and calls you out, I think this would really send the wrong signals.

Otherwise I'd suggest you wait until a well modded PO (gen dial and bezel) surfaces in the sales forum... Gen Speedmasters aren't too expensive either, so you might want to look at those as well.

Thank you Wiesn for the advice.

I had a Seiko before but I have never considered Seiko as "premium" brand.

I going to have a look at SARB033.

If you want to earn the respect of these people, as opposed to simply 'impressing', then my advice is to not wear a replica at all, as it would be a false image on false pretenses, and if you were to get caught out, that earned respect, in an office environment, would turn to an equal amount of distain and ridicule. I would agree with the suggestion of a Seiko, as while they're not considered a 'luxury brand', they are acknowledged and respected as a good brand. My other suggestion, is to look into a clone watch, like Alpha watch, Kingston or MK II. Any one of those will have the same looks to be playing with the Big Boys, and not be a fake. Someone might say "Well it's a copy of a [insert brand here]" to which you just point out that you have financial obligations and can't justify X amount of £/$s on a watch at the moment, but wanted something which would last you till you were in a position to treat yourself to a [insert brand here] :good::drinks:

[Edit to add]

I've nothing against folks wearing reps at work, or even going to a new job wearing a rep, because as far as others would be concerned, that would 'be you', but if someone is to suddenly roll in wearing a new watch, it's possibly going to get noticed, and if these folks think for one second that you're trying to 'get one over' on them, or make yourself out to be more than you are, you might as well tender your resignation, as I can guarantee that afterwards, they would never take you seriously, never value your input, and never view you as anything other than a pretentious poser... Best thing I can suggest, is buy 'something decent' for now, then treat yourself to something like a 42mm Planet Ocean at Christmas, and roll it out following the holiday. If anyone asks or comment, simply say "It was a gift...". By all means allow people to view it, but refuse to be drawn on the subject further, so you can keep deception to the bare minimum :) Anything more than that, given there is a watch culture at the office, is leaving yourself open to becoming at best, the office buffoon, and at worst, someone universally rejected... :bangin:

Thank you Wiesn for the advice.

I had a Seiko before but I have never considered Seiko as "premium" brand.

I going to have a look at SARB033.

Well, there are some really, really nice high-end Seiko watches. If you have the time you can take a look at them here: Grand-Seiko.com

I bought my SARB033 because it closely resembles my favourite Grand Seiko SBGH005 and is basically the poor man's version of the SBGR053. It has a very nice dial, which appears black in most lighting situations, but is really a dark brown. This can have a very nice "tropical" effect in certain light conditions (see picture). I had anti-reflective coating applied on both sides of the crystal and now it can stand up easily to any entry-level Tag or Omega (well as mentioned above, to the last generation models at least - Omega cal. 8500 models are on another level).

Here's a picture of mine, Instagram hipster filter applied to emphasize the "tropical" effect. The strap is black in reality, so you can see that the dial in fact is a little lighter in color...

post-24760-0-23098800-1347286605_thumb.j

I have to agree with TeeJay. Dont put yourself in a position where respect earned is soon lost because your trying to keep up with the 'big boys :fool: '. Go for something that looks good, is well made and has heritage. If these guys know watches they will respect what your wearing and when the time comes, you buy what makes you happy mate ;) .

I totally agree with the 'don't buy to impress your mates' or 'keep up with the Joneses sentiment'. Lots of very nice Seikos/Hamiltons/Citizens/Tissots that would never be 'looked' down on by watch enthusiasts, tbh those 'watch enthusiasts' who look down or judge a particular or select watches or brands are the wrong sort of enthusiasts anyway :)

As mentioned above the SARB033 is a fantastic watch for the money. Also look at the Hamilton Khaki field auto, or an outstanding watch for a little more is the Longines Hydroconquest. At the same time, there are plenty of great reps out of the box available that are very close to gen without modding, look into the JLC navy seals diver, Ebel 1911 discovery chrono, Pam 111, IWC 3717, AP V3 Diver, TC sub with a gen insert also. The PO's are good reps, but the real attraction of the PO is it takes gen parts. It is not necessarily very close to gen out of the box.

Edited by cougar1

I agree the Grand Seiko line is VERY nice and the spring drive is amazing. Tested more stringent than COSC standards. That being said, I agree that it would probably earn more kudos to begin with a less expensive watch ($400-$1200 range). You would be amazed at the quality. Learn about the brands and the technology. That way you can talk up all the similarities and differencesthey they have to the big boys. Know the differences in the grades of the movements, the steel, the crystals, the lume, and the waterproofing. There are very nice COSCs that you can pick up for just over a grand. There's also great watches out there with top grade ETAs for $600 - $700.

This way you show that you know quality and value, and you truly know what the real difference is between a $500 and a $5000 watch (or $10K-$100K, oy vey). This will also help you make a more informed decision when you are ready to take the plunge on the real McCoy.

Fortunately, the big boys do hold their value on the secondary market. I've flipped many gen pieces without any trouble. You never know if a watch is for you until it's on your wrist. Here's some nice brands to look at...

MKII, Zenton, Hamilton, Seiko, Bali Ha', Bathys Hawaii, Boschet, Dievas, Halios, Helson, Korsbek, Kremke, Lüm-Tec, Magrette, Ocean7, Prometheus, etc...

if you want something that will get a nod even from the watch aficionados get a genuine longines legend diver (pref without the date ). quite sought after in the US i hear. easier to aquire in EU. I have the date version myself. going for a rep to fool someone to think its a gen isnt a good idea.

longines-legend-diver+(1).jpg

I would suggest considering a used gen, such as a TAG, or even a Tissot. You won't pay THAT much more over a quality rep, especially a franken rep. Most reps have tells, for one the quality of the print and materials is not as fine. If you're holding a gen swiss watch and a rep (even different brands) and have a good eye, you can tell that the rep isn't as fine. The printing on my gens is perfect, the engravings are crisp, etc.. The reps aren't as crisp, you can see the printing is a tad fuzzy, etc... Most people can't tell though, it requires knowing what to look at and some concentration. I'd say someone who is into gens and reps would be most likely to tell.

As far as being able to pass it off. I have both gens and reps, I've never been questioned about the authenticity of my watches. It depends on how you carry and present yourself. If you're stepping out of a 96 honda civic in a walmart shirt and jeans wearing a $5-10k watch, people may wonder what's up, even if they don't suspect it's fake, they may suspect you have priority issues in life.

Edited by Rick James

Save for a few months and get yourself an Omega AT (I prefer the black version on a bracelet... I bought,sold, bought about 5 of them... I kid you not.... will probably get another down the line). They're comfortable, look great, are gen Omeaga and can be had for 1400-1500... and if you don't mind the Quartz version which looks the same but for the tick-tick you can get it for 1K or so... look for used ones on TZ or WUS. Cheers.

.....(I prefer the black version on a bracelet... I bought,sold, bought about 5 of them... I kid you not.... will probably get another down the line).

I agree they are a great watch, a timeless looking classic watch, you couldn't date it, so it should never go out of style. Just your quote above about buying and selling them, if you pick up another good one, hold onto it :D ...they are easy to pick up on the bay or elsewhere as you said, but I notice lately they are getting more and more difficult to pick up in very good condition, as they are getting older they seem to be picking up many of those unremovable dinks on the case ;)