When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New purchase experience

surlysurdi

Hi everyone,

First of all I am a recently joined member and I have found RWG to be a great source of information and have really enjoyed researching and learning. I recently ordered my first watch and would like to share my experience.

I chose the Tag Carrera with the A7750 movement and I chose Precious Time from the TD list. His communication was excellent and he promised delivery in 12 to 14 days.

Well once I had placed the order I only had to wait 9 days and it was delivered as promised, packaging was in a jiffy bag and it was wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap. Not bad but a box would have been perfect.

The watch itself is excellent, really top quality, it uses the latest A7750 movement but has the old style rotor rather than the one with cut-outs, a minor thing to be honest as the quality was really great. I had to go to a local jewellers and get 2 links removed but they only charged me £5 which was fine. Now the fit is great.

Would I buy from this TD again? You bet! I now have a couple more watches on my list, funny how suddenly you want more than just one LOL!

Well, although I have heard a lot about the A7750, both good and bad, I hope this one keeps going, now I just need to find someone to service it! Take a look at the attached photo (not great but I was in a hurry) and let me know what you think?

post-47043-0-24155400-1347553571_thumb.j

Edited by surlysurdi

Hi guys thanks for all your positive comments! The lume is ok but not super bright, to be honest I'm not too sure how bright it should be. The choice behind getting this particular watch was because of the relationship between Porsche and Tag with Porsche supplying engines to the Tag cars (in F1) many years ago. In addition since they both named their products after such a great race and the fact that I have an '87 Carrera, well it was a no brainer, especially since this is the 'race' version! I've loved the look of this the minute I saw it and knew I had to have it, I guess a lot of you can connect with that particular feeling LOL!

Hi guys thanks for all your positive comments! The lume is ok but not super bright, to be honest I'm not too sure how bright it should be. The choice behind getting this particular watch was because of the relationship between Porsche and Tag with Porsche supplying engines to the Tag cars (in F1) many years ago. In addition since they both named their products after such a great race and the fact that I have an '87 Carrera, well it was a no brainer, especially since this is the 'race' version! I've loved the look of this the minute I saw it and knew I had to have it, I guess a lot of you can connect with that particular feeling LOL!

For sure!

It's one of the reasons that the Chopard Mille Miglia is on my shopping list.

Nice watch, BTW. Enjoy!

Thats a great looking Tag...one of the best. Nice looking shirt to go with it. ;). My experence with the A7750 has been very positive. I have A7750's that are almost four years old and still keep very good time. That being said...If you want your movement to run and perform at It's best.....have It serviced.

Mike

There should be no lume on the dial (i think) or have i got my models mixed up

The reason i said it is i worked on one of them a while ago, gen hands ect and the guy said make sure the lume on the dial matches the gen hands, well i looked at the rep dial and there was no lume at all just the marker pollished on the sides and brushed on top, so i went to an AD to look at the gen and sure enough the gen was the same, no lume,

I'm not sure about the lume myself, looking at pics of the gen it does seem to have lume although it's difficult to tell, think I'll need to go to an AD and check it out in person. That being said I'm very happy, one thing though, regarding the blue screws I can see on the movement, do gen ETA 7750's have these or not?

I'm not sure about the lume myself, looking at pics of the gen it does seem to have lume although it's difficult to tell, think I'll need to go to an AD and check it out in person. That being said I'm very happy, one thing though, regarding the blue screws I can see on the movement, do gen ETA 7750's have these or not?

Sweet watch sir, I have been looknig to aquire this myself but never got it due to factory restrictions over the last months. The blue screws you are referring to are probably the biggest tell on this, and you can most likely tell by now that the gen does not have these. Also the datewheel has some font flaws which you can see with ease on single numbered dates. They just look small and dull. Fixing this piece with an alternative ETA datewheel (have seen alot of this in the day/date carrera cal16) makes wonders. Do you mind me asking what you paid for the piece?

Thanks for sharing and wear your watch well!

D

Once again thanks for all the positive comments, very nice of you. The gen also has lume (based on a close up pic on the Tag website). I thought the blue screws looked out of place but I just don't get it, going to all the trouble of prducing the 7750 then why have the blue screws? :g:

It would be nice to 'fix' both the screws and the date wheel but alas unless I can find someone in the UK to do this it won't happen any time soon, there is no way I would attempt this (...a man's gotta know his limitations....). The cost was $278 plus $35 delivery, I think that's on a par with most TD's for this piece but I must admit I am impressed with the quality. Precious Time was very good in all respects.