When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make a vintage brushed silver DWO

FxrAndy

Right this is a blue peter moment (Please ecuse the crappy iphone pics)

Thanks to Rolojack i can show you all how to make a vintage silver flat 3 open 6&9 DWO

I took a screen shot of his image in the DWO thread converted it to black and white in word and resized it.

This needs nothing more than

A decent inkjet printer

Some self adhesive clear lables

your old metal DWOs

a bit of scotch bright

a sharp craft knife (please get help from grown ups when cutting)

Nail varnish remover or isopopenol alcohol

A sunday morning with out the shakes

Right First get all your old DWOs that are made of metal and a couple of date wheels for 2836/46 and chuck them in alcohol or nail varnish remover and remove all the old printing (this will save microns of clearance space)

image.jpg

image1.jpg

Once it is all clean take your scotch brite and brush the overlay blank

image3.jpg

you should end up with some thing like this

image5.jpg

Now we cut out one of our preprinted clear adhesive over lays and stick it as central as you can to the blank

image6.jpg

The get an adult to cut away the excess and you will be let with what we want a brushed silver flat 3, open 6&9 overlay

image7.jpg

now you may have dont it already but remove all the printing and ink from the date wheel

image9.jpg

And fit it to your movement

image11.jpg

Next we need some thing to attach the DWO to the DW, i like using clear nail varnish as it sets slowly and can be revoved easily, Dial dots are also good but think about clearance if you go this route

image12.jpg

Tiny dabs are all you need, Now add the DWO over the top lining the center of one number with the stem

image24.jpg

Fit you dial and check the positioning of all numbers over (wind the watch forwards and get the date to change as you got through 12am rather t6han jjust click forward in the date set position) there will be slight variation

Adjust if nesesary and try again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again untill you are happy

image23.jpg

image22.jpg

image21.jpg

two slightly better pictures

image20.jpg

image18.jpg

image17.jpg

As we can see here the 20s need to move over to the right a touch, not sure if roloJack could do that??? as the rest are good

image16.jpg

image14.jpg

image13.jpg

The printing is better than the pictures actualy show and as good as my MBW DWO in my great white but not as perfect as my gen

DSCF3440.jpg

DSCF3438.jpg

(The one above was a lower print quality than the one under the rail dial)

I think we are moving in the right direction

I think if i vectorised the image it would be better, can some one here do that?

Many thanks to Rolojack for creating the image in the first place (let me know if you want a few of these)

Do not all PM me asking me to make you one as i only have 3 blanks.

Platinum members for a small donation to the postage can have the stickers for free, but it would be better if it was vectorised and prfesionaly printed.

Thank you for reading and now your thoughts please as to the positioning, font size, and boldness

• Like 7

Apparently the ridges are caused by an iron difficiency, but i have been eating iron filings for years now but it has not got any better

In my case it's too much iron. Mine look like that after I sharpen my chainsaw.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...