When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch sent to The Zigmeister for service... lost?

gmlcountry

First of all, I am NOT blaming Zigmeister. He hasn't even received it yet. It's my fault and the postal service's.

I sent my watch to Canada from New Jersey for service and it still has not arrived, I'm getting nervous. It's been 3 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately, I do not have tracking on it. I sent it first class mail. Anyone know how long it should take? Do you think it got caught up in customs this long?

Not to fear; I am sure it is due to arrive soon. 3.5 weeks in the system, it's gotta be getting close!

For what it's worth, I've had First Class mail take over 3 weeks to arrive domestically within the U.S. (non-International); I've had Int'l EMS take just as long sometimes and often with puzzling transit routes (i.e. travelling over 1000 miles in the complete opposite direction before turning around and making it's way to it's destination). The strangest was when an item passed through customs twice into the U.S.; arrived first at the SFO ISC (in and out of customs) and then forwarded on to the JFK ISC (in and out of customs again). Puzzling... But the item arrived without incident, so I just chalk it up as some sort of fluke :confused:

I guess they don't call it snail mail for nothing, eh?

Okay this isn't going to help much, but I sent my gen 6536 to Ziggy several times. The 2nd trip it went as usual, registered, insured, you name it. Tracking out the wazzoo.

It disappeared into The System. Over a month went by. Six weeks. No notice of it anywhere. It simply fell off the face of the earth.

I had written it off (and made a mental list of all the Post Office employees I was going to torment for all eternity) when what's this? It arrived back on my front step, unceremoniously dumped there. The box was in tatters, it had been cut and torn open, then taped back shut again with garish fluorescent orange tape. The corners weren't taped shut and the bubble wrap was hanging out. There was a printed sticky saying "Counterfeit Goods are not permissible into Canada" or something like that.

But I did get it back. :tu:

Canada Post has been known to take 1 month or more to deliver a small standard post package.

You can get a box from China in 5 days but send something 400 miles into Canada and its 30 days.

Guess they need to feed them Huskies better! Hope it works out on your lost piece.

Okay this isn't going to help much, but I sent my gen 6536 to Ziggy several times. The 2nd trip it went as usual, registered, insured, you name it. Tracking out the wazzoo.

It disappeared into The System. Over a month went by. Six weeks. No notice of it anywhere. It simply fell off the face of the earth.

I had written it off (and made a mental list of all the Post Office employees I was going to torment for all eternity) when what's this? It arrived back on my front step, unceremoniously dumped there. The box was in tatters, it had been cut and torn open, then taped back shut again with garish fluorescent orange tape. The corners weren't taped shut and the bubble wrap was hanging out. There was a printed sticky saying "Counterfeit Goods are not permissible into Canada" or something like that.

:rofl:

The only thing predictable about the US postal system is it unpredictability!! Generally, packages do arrive. On time, forget it. First class is really last class as far as expedited shipping is concerned. The only thing that is probably slower is book and bulk mailing rate. Like ubi, i have had packages go all over the USA before they finally got to me or to their destination.

Shipping to Canada is slow. Canada customs takes their sweet time getting things through. I believe they check every package, not necessarily looking for drugs, contraband, etc. but they don't want to miss one dime of customs duty. God Forbid you declare something for less than what they think it's worth. At one time a while back, The Zigmeister was using UPS and FedEx I suppose because Canadian Customs was taking so long to clear packages. I found that the paperwork for customs clearance using FedEx was very complicated and time consuming. Their customs forms are completely different from the USPS forms, they require several different forms. I can fill out a long form from the USPS in about 5 minutes, I spent over an hour trying to complete the forms for FedEx recently.

I feel sure your watch will turn up, it may end up with The Zigmeister, or it may be returned to you, but it will turn up. No matter what shipping method, I believe that you ought to insure for the amount The Zigmeister specifies, as well as purchase delivery confirmation. That allows you to track the package. Even though the USPS tracking isn't the best by far, if it doesn't show up in a reasonable time, they USPS does have an INTERNET tracking system that may help.

I had a way too long experience with First Class mail to Canada years ago and have sent everything either via EMS, UPS or FedEx since. I must be going on a couple hundred packages back and forth over the years. By the way, that first class package did take 5 or 6 weeks but it did get there. And I like Nanuq have shipped plenty of gens so have faith. :)

• 3 weeks later...