When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on Repair of Broken Gen Cartier

robertresh

Hello Everyone my girlfriend took a spill on the bicycle today and broke her Gen Cartier watch. (see photos). , I wanted to reach out to the members here for some direction as to the best course of action for repair or, at the very least, the procurement of a new crystal. She wants to send it to Cartier. I would rather utilize the wealth of knowledge here and perhaps consult with a trusted repair service. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. At present she has an ice pack on her head and thigh and isn't pleased that I am more concerned with the watch. Nevertheless, it really is a great watch and it (unlike her) will not heal on its own. Thanks.

post-46131-0-49510200-1349035721_thumb.j

post-46131-0-80856600-1349035759_thumb.j

DO NOT send it to Cartier! Seriously.

My M-I-L had an 18k Cartier with round face and quartz movement. It had a stuck screw in the band so she couldn't size it, and it needed a battery. She sent it in against my advice and one thoooouuuuusssaaaannnndddddd dollars later she got it back, polished and a new screw and a battery.

There's no rocket science there. A good watchmaker can refinish the case and G&S or Sternkreuz make a huge assortment of replacement crystals.

It will be months faster and 1/5 the price.

Cartier response: "send it in, triple bubble wrapped and insured/registered for one BILLLLLLLLION dollars. We'll see if we can fit you in *snif* some time in the next calendar year. And you'll be happy to have it, peasant."

RWG response: "Send it to our own local in-house registered factory repair guy and if he doesn't have the parts in hand, or if he can't get them in a couple days, he will, By Gawd, MAKE them for you. And he most likely won't accept any payment for the work, but we all chuckle and ignore him and throw money at him anyway. Oh, and it will be done RIGHT, the first time, and every time."

This is why I love this place.

Has anyone noticed that "Cartier" and "Caroline" and "Crispian" all start with the letter "C"? :tu:

RobertResh, stick around for awhile and you'll understand what I mean by that.

Thank you for all of the feedback. Girlfriend is taking photos today and will forward to JAG. I am new to the Rep game. I Happened upon it unexpectedly when someone paid a substantial debt to me with a Breitling. It looked genuine, felt genuine, and I never doubted its authenticity. Two years later when I took it for servicing I discovered that that it wasn't genuine. My initial feelings weren't of anger but rather amazement at the quality and craftsmanship. I started doing some research on my own and discovered this site. I read feedback and reviews, looked at pictures and took a small leap of faith and purchased two more Reps from a trusted dealer on this site. I have spent hours here educating myself for my next purchases and desired mods. Thanks to you, I think I have discovered a new addiction.