When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Rolex 7836 Bracelet

Akira

It was about a few weeks back, LHOOQ and I were discussing Speedies, 1016's or Daytonas...I don't remember.

Finally we ended up talking about the "Cartel 7836" bracelet and how well it's replicated, considering the competitors and price.

LHOOQ made a nice write-up about it www.rwg.cc/topic/120850-rep-7836-bracelet-photo-review/

He also took a look at the "Yuki 7836" www.rwg.cc/topic/141396-a-look-at-the-yuki-7836

Both show severe problems in the, what I call "connecting link area".

They are both weirdly bend in the middle instead of being smooth like the normal middle links.

First time I noticed it, never had been a problem for me, probably because I didn't really read his thread attentively :fool:

Now it was bugging me though.

i-VLJknVj.jpg

i-CC76xNw.jpg

i-L2fGqpg.jpg

On my 1675:

af75883f.jpg

Apart from the angular shape and boxiness of the clasp, the slightly wrong coronet placement and the oversimplified link that connects

the bracelet to the clasp, it's a stellar bracelet. These faults are not as visible and instantly noticeable as the "connecting link"!

So there we were...I'm not a modder, but have access to very good goldsmith tools - a bit advanced to the average watch working bench.

It took me a while to figure out a way to modify the existing links, since I don't have the time or tools to machine completely new ones.

(Which is probably easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy for JMB :lol:)

Anyways, I thought manpower is the way to go... :bangin:

I'm now sharing the almost complete result.

(I need to polish it once more and then brush finish it, but it will be two weeks,

until I have access to the good tools again and I'm just to excited to wait :D)

All gen pictures are for reference only and used from their original host location.

It's a bit of a dull rainy day, therefore not better light in the pics.

P1070726.jpg

DSC00488_zpsc887962e.jpg

DSC00489_zps7effa15c.jpg

DSCN4628.jpg

DSC00491_zps3f8208b9.jpg

DSCN4629.jpg

DSC00493_zps42b5612c.jpg

phuppimageppo.jpg

DSC00494_zps5e478dd7.jpg

772223d1343101192-rolex-1675-gmt-3-rolex-bracelets-dsc_0706.jpg

DSC00495_zpsa9380fcd.jpg

DSC00496_zps11df4bbe.jpg

rolex1.JPG

DSC00504_zpsff37326a.jpg

DSC00497_zps4825dfd5.jpg

DSC00503_zpsf8f6f3a5.jpg

DSC00502_zps3e2f9721.jpg

DSC00501_zps4e8517b6.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts :)

Is it an improvement? Do you think it's necessary or not?

Akira

I had the pleasure of watching this mod take shape over a series of emails. The connecting midlink might seem like a minor thing, but it's out in front--and it's in every wrist shot! It can also have a big effect on the fit and comfort of the bracelet.

Well done, Akira!

Definitely, an improvement. But why not just get Yuki's 7836, which has the correct links in the 1st place

4-5x the price of the cartel and from what I hear not the best alternative either.

Inflexible and attached "connector link", so you can't change the endlink.

Maybe they improved it...but not to my knowledge.

If quality for price wasn't an issue, I'd go for the gen anytime of the day ;)

Edited by Akira

Definitely, an improvement. But why not just get Yuki's 7836, which has the correct links in the 1st place

Because it is a $200 disappointment.

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that Akira linked to my mini-review in the OP. To summarize: The fixed endlinks weren't a good fit on any of my Rolex/Tudor watches, and the tightness between the endlinks and the adjacent links made it uncomfortable to wear.

Yes, just like the gen.

As for fitting proper 2mm springbars, that is definitely an issue, but Yuki will fit them for you if you ask (obviously, after the bracelet is back in stock).

I thought about what you said and from the pics I can find in the web,

it appears that there are two versions depending on the endlinks.

The fixed endlink often seen with the '382' Tudor end-link.

zhm3l.jpg

1261-7137-thickbox.jpg

And the one looking like mine, with the '258'

P1160136_zps127672e1.jpg

20pr72t.jpg

P1160133_zps5a4a34b8.jpg

There are plenty examples of both to find.

However, to get back to the point of not using the Yuki...

It was mainly because of the price.

Here you have a $50 bracelet with 2-3h of work.

I'm a student - I'm not earning $50/h yet, so it made sense :)

:D

I must say I like how this connects the endlink to the bracelet, my gen 7836 tabs are not in the best shape and could stand a replacement. And since they are bent they have less presence and are not as noticeable as the one you've modded in your pics above.

See here

image3mul.jpg

Nice mod, makes all the difference if you know what youre looking at.

Thanks for sharing that

I have made a few sets of connecting links using stainless 316L sheet metal from onlinemetals com and various styles of 'chain nose' pliers...'chain nose' pliers are basically smooth jaw needle nose pliers. Get sheet metal a little bit thicker than the original connecting links if you need more metal to allow for smoothing and brush finishing the finished links...much thicker and it might bind on the bracelet center link though.

Cut a piece of metal and size it to the exact width, then bend it around the round jaws of the 'chain nose' pliers. It will take a few (or many) tries but the cost is low and you can alter the overall length of the links to suit different applications. Because the space between the top and bottom of the connecting link is so close, I had to modify a set of pliers by grinding the tops of the jaws down and polishing them. I use cheapo pliers as they will do the job and I did not want to start grinding on $40 pliers.

You can cut the blanks to size with a 'jeweler's saw' or cut-off disc in a Dremel tool...I have better luck with a cut-off disc because the saw blades are too easy to break. You can even use tin snips but they will sometimes bend the metal. Scribe a line on the sheet metal just a hair wider than needed and cut outside the line. After you get the blank roughed out, size it exactly on a file etc and start bending. If the ends overlap after bending, you can cut them down with a cut-off wheel. I use 'duck bill' pliers to close the links (when installing them) and smooth out a slight groove inside both jaws with Cratex to keep the pliers from slipping on the links. Closing the links with 'duck bill' pliers can also put a slight bow in the top of the link if needed.

I have a couple folded oyster bracelets from Mary and had to force a tapered punch through the connecting links to allow 2mm springbars to pass through. I left the original connecting links in place and because the soldered tubes in the hoods would not line up with the lug holes (DW 5513 case), I removed the tubes and let the bracelet hold the hoods against the case. It works Ok and is about the same as a genuine rivet style bracelet with floppy hoods.

I figure old bracelets are supposed to be floppy anyway. :pimp:

• 5 months later...
Guest zeleni kukuruz

Just wondering mr J, way do you want to remove one or ad one? The claps have 6-7 holes to ad the adjusment of your wrist and it should be ok for the big guy's, well lets not count "mike on his [censored] 68' year bike" but it should cover a blue wale wrist for sure, and even the smal guys wrist.

To remove or add a link you have to open up the center, unfold and remove or add the link, then using a rubber hammer striking the lowest possible spot at the base of the metal you want bent back (right where it folds) until its flush. A bit confusing but here are a few pics curtesy of Michael Young. I couldn't get the pics in order but you get the idea.

It's the same for folded and folded rivet btw

post-38788-0-50611400-1362890377_thumb.j

post-38788-0-14156300-1362890392_thumb.j

post-38788-0-59522500-1362890427_thumb.j

post-38788-0-50736400-1362890443_thumb.j