When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Audemars Piguet Rubens Barrichello RB II quartz (pics)

thorne

Hi,

I thought I'd do a short writeup about this model because I couldnt seem to find one.

Generally I do not buy quartz versions of watches because either the attention to detail per gen is not as desired, or the materials used make these look like a cheap version (which they usually are). And so, I have always bought the clone/ETA versions of watches.

Now I came across this quartz version of the AP RB II recently, although I always wanted a sec@12, could not justify to myself blowing close to 650$ on a watch that I would not likely give too much wrist time. My daily wear watches rotate among my Ploprof V2, DSSD ProHunter, Chronopassion. (Yes the CP is a scratch magnet but that hasnt stopped me yet grin.gif) So this would mostly be a weekend watch.

So when I found this version in quartz it looked amazing at a fraction of the price - close to 230$ shipped. Now some points to clarify about this version: although it is quartz, apparently the case used is the same as sec@12 (same dimensions) and has sapphire glass. Has correct color of subdial hands, also running sec@12. Genuine ceramic bezel, and has mag on crystal.

Here are some pics:

This is gen (exposed gear under center, exposed screw at about 7 o'clock, both can be seen under the skeletonised dial)

audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-rubens-barrichello-ii-watch-21.jpg

Due to the quartz movement (workhorse Miyota) there are obviously some dial differences compared to the sec@12 and gen, which is easily visible to us geeks and you can see this in the photos below - subdial placement is off, probably font is close but not 100% etc. Then again if you get the sec@12 this does not have the exposed movement screws and gearwheel and this is a costly mod in itself if you really want to get your sec@12 RBII closer to gen. There are members who have got this done, you can search the posts for pics of this.

Some of the pics sent me as QC by dealer:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

I think for less than half the price of the sec@12 I can live with these flaws.I do not think anyone I come into contact with often enough will notice subdial placement which is probably the biggest call on this (I dont know any geeks at work winkCA3D11ZE.gif). So I paid up for this and am waiting for it to arrive. Although I have got it from a dealer who is not one of our TDs, in case you want one I am sure your preferred TD can source one for you.

The first thing I will do once I get this is change the strap - either rubber from my CP or I have a grey hornback incoming from Donerix, I will see which looks better, though i think the rubber will.

Cheers

T

I have the sec at 12. I have had it for a few years now. It's in the regular rotation. The watch and band and all have held up very well. I also have one of the original rubberclads. On mine, as with all my watches I got the crystal ar. I can't stand reflections and sitting next to someone with the gen, mine looks better. :) I didn't see if the quartz was titanium, it makes a difference, it's not a heavy watch at all. My father always says he wants one when he sees mine, but neither of us are making enough $$ to justify the freight on this one. I have suggested to him several times to get the quartz and he refuses to do it, even though he has several quartz watches that he wears. There is 1 major upside to this model, the date window is set flush to the inner bezel. On the sec@12 it goes underneath the inner bezel. But, looking at your quality control looks pretty much what I see when I look down at my wrist. It's a much better comparison than the dealer photos. If I knew someone who really wanted a ceramic bezel ap I'd Steer them to the quartz. While I love mine, at the time I bought it, the selection of a+ type reps was much more limited. There is just so much available now. Even in the other sec @12 ap's. or especially the diver.

Fun watch. Not much like it out there, beware the ceramic bezel. I haven't damaged it from wear but, if you over tighten one of those screws it will snap in an instant and the replacement bez is at least 50$ if you can find one :)

Enjoy!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the watch about a week now. This does not feel like a quartz at all. Its quite heavy on the wrist, not as much as my Ploprof, not as big as the 187, but still quite substantial. Build quality is fantastic and this is something you cannot figure out from the pics. I thought it would be pretty huge on the wrist but its a little bigger than my CP. I rate this as one of my best buys so far. Swapped the strap to the rubber from my CP.

I took some pics for comparisons, if you have been on the forums for more than 6 months you probably own at least one of the following watches. Pics arent great, took them in a hurry on my phone, but should be enough to give you a decent idea of sizes.

F18F2083-EC30-414B-97CD-B52A5D658900-7364-000000D6FCA6F0E1-1.jpg

9AD2F162-8CBA-4BFF-A1C5-EF7BF0EB016C-7444-000000D728BE345B.jpg

81294BE8-9536-41D6-BC41-62AC5E3A9198-7444-000000D73795EF9C.jpg

0B0F5F8A-3DB5-4A4D-904C-DCC73650CA28-7444-000000D74710FC28.jpg

F7730175-C0E3-429D-852E-55424669E76D-7444-000000D75B9739F3.jpg

D5899CC4-B8F0-4AED-AF6D-7B2B2EFDE030-7444-000000D76E7662E9.jpg

Cheers

T

• 1 year later...