When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Magnetic clasps on messenger bags...

anics

Hi guys.

I just received a very nice Belstaff bag with what seem to be rather strong magnetic clasps on the front and side. I was planning to travel with the bag and as such put some watches in it when I do so.

This may sound silly but will these clasps magnetise my watches? The watches (mostly 7750 movements) will be in a watch travel case inside the bag...

Anyone had any problem with this type of thing?

Thanks all

A

I often wondered the same thing. My wife managed to Magnatize her (gen) Breitling whilst switching off our subwoofer for the Home Theater. I have also heard of "Safes" with doing similar.

Any experts care to chime in on this one?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is an interesting situation that maybe needs more investigation

I have in the past used rare earth magnets to test anti magnetic protection on reps, and although I have stopped watched with them I have never managed to magnetize one or damage one

How long we're the watches under the influence of the magnets?

Search for Lanikai's post on the 7750 stop issue.

Magnets, from my experience make the watch run super fast once magnetized. A magnet will stop it momentarily, but not permanently.

The one of two things that did my wife's Breitling in was her reaching behind our Velodyne Subwoofer to switch it off, and/or, it was near the solenoid when stored in the safe. Many electronic safes have a solenoid that causes the bolts to unlock. (I still use the safe watches, and have not duplicated that issue, but I no longer place watches in the area directly by the electronics. The watch ran like 8 hours fast per day.