When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portofino - your pics please...

LeSentier

Gents,

going to pull the trigger on the newer Portofino - probably the one with the darkgrey/black sunburst dial and the black datewheel.

on the other hand I also love the white/cream sunburst dial with the gold hands. or the silver hands?

Since I have not seen many pics of them ( only the dealer pics) or just the plain black dial (which is not my taste), may I ask you Porto owners to post some pics here? Also wristies are welcome. Please help a member to make a decision :)

Thanks, J

I've been waiting for this one for a while as well. It looks great on a leather band, but I'm torn between that and the mesh bracelet.

Get the mesh bracelet. The replica leather strap quality is horrible and you'll probably replace it with something nicer very soon. Seriously, it should be forbidden to sell these straps. If you don't like the mesh bracelet, just buy a simple non-replica leather strap afterwards. It doesn't have to be genuine, everything will be better.

That being said, excellent choice of your watch! I hope that someday I can build one of these myself from mostly genuine parts.

The slightly older one is very well documented around the forums, the newer one with roman numbers is very elusive, I'm surprised there is not more info, but frankly if it is based on the old (which it is) it seems highly unlikely they've ballsed it up too much, in fact they seem to have made some improvements (e.g. proper colour dw on the dark one etc)

Here is some pics found of the old:

Portofino.jpg

....and the newer one, in white, these are the only weak home pics of the rep I've seen so far?

a68958a7-b123-a892.jpg

a68958a7-b113-97e1.jpg

To me it looks very good? ...but would someone please buy it and put us out of our misery :)

Michael_B, those are exactly my sentiments.

The only reason why I would even consider the rep with the leather strap is for the buckle; which seems to be of decent quality.

How about asking if he can ship it with a buckle? Best of both worlds! It shouldn't bee too expensive if he can find one.

Here is some pics found of the old:

[Picture of the IWC Portofino]

Wow if never seen a quality picture of this replica. This one looks very accurate. The only thing bothering me is that the crown looks a little too far outside. But maybe it's pulled out, so I don't know. (This is from what I remember the last time I had this on my wrist.)

EDIT: Removed the pictures from the quote to make it more readable.

Edited by Michael_B

I have one of those in the current 40mm version with matte black dial.

Three things about the rep bother me:

1. No AR. None, not even a bad one. The gen has double sided AR coating so you'll definitely need to have the crystal coated.
  2. The clasp on the mesh bracelet. It is not actually well made. The clasp will require modding to not fall apart within two weeks.
  3. The date wheel. It is a bad copy of an ETA date disc which not only is nearly unreadable but also has a totally wrong font for the Portofino

I'd take one on a leather strap, get a genuine or a TWB strap for it, have the crystal ARed and the date disc at least changed for a genuine ETA disc if one cannot find a genuine IWC disc.

Regarding the dial: Even though IWC is still showing the black sunburst dial on their website this dial made it to the shops for a few weeks only. Everything after that came with a matte black dial. I once saw a genuine with sunburst dial and while it was awesome and very special it was completely different from the rep sunburst dial. The rep is kind of grey, more like IWCs Ardoise dials. The gen sunburst was truly black.

Therefore I'd go with the matte black rep dial because it is a perfect match to the genuine dial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...