When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luckiest Rolex purchase ever. 116610

irolexu

Nice, I had something similar happen to me, my next door neighboor (elderly moman) her husband always had me work on and service his watches, when he passed away she called me and top me she water to sell a few, I picked up a tudor snow flake for 500$ she offered it for 150$ with 5 other watches, but I felt bad taking advantage so I gave her alittle more. :D I sold it about a month later for 3500$. Sorry for thread jacking but I love these stories.

Not thread jacking that's what these discussions are for :) that's a nice buy!

Nice, I had something similar happen to me, my next door neighboor (elderly moman) her husband always had me work on and service his watches, when he passed away she called me and top me she water to sell a few, I picked up a tudor snow flake for 500$ she offered it for 150$ with 5 other watches, but I felt bad taking advantage so I gave her alittle more. :D I sold it about a month later for 3500$. Sorry for thread jacking but I love these stories.

I might start a flame war here, but to MD2020, i believe that what you did was despicable. You took advantage of and old ladies ignorance of watch prices and totally scammed her. You knew up front that the Tudor was worth a hell of a lot more than 500.00 USD. I don't compare what you did with what irolexu did in the least. He and the guy he bought the watch from both probably knew what the watch was worth, and the seller had ample opportunity to check around and see what the watch was worth. You neighbor trusted you because you had worked on her late husbands watches, and she considered you a friend. Some friend you are.I really don't know how some folks sleep at night, but I suppose if you don't have any scruples, sleep comes easy.I suppose it eases you conscience to say that you gave her 500 for the watch rather than the 150 she asked, even though you knew what a Tudor Snowflake was worth, and you knew you could flip it for a big profit?

People like you are the reason I have and Excel spreadsheet with all my watches, serial numbers descriptions and prices, just so someone like you can't come along and take advantage of my wife's ignorance of watch values.

IrolexU, sorry for getting in the middle of your thread, but I can't let this guys response go unanswered.

If you don't want people to make negative comments about your post, why don't you give the whole story up front. Then folks can at least have the facts up front to make a valid decision as to whether or not they agree. And don't ever tell me to shut my mouth. When you've been here a few years and have a few hundred posts that are meaningful and helpful to the community, then you can tell someone to shut up, other wise you can take your smart mouth somewhere else.

If the lady wanted to make a gift of the watch, that's another matter entirely, but the fact that you didn't take it because you knew up front that you were going to flip it for a huge profit and what would you say if later she said, "I notice you aren't wearing the watch I gave you?" So you gave here a really lowball price for the watch and that made you feel good because you didn't just "take it"

as a gift, you paid for it.

And by the way, I'm not a saint, far from it, but I can truthfully say in all my years of dealing with people, I have never taken advantage of someone who lacks the knowledge about the value of something that I want to buy from them.

I'm not going to stomp all over IrolexU's thread any more.You can reply, but 'Im done.

Boys, Boys tis the season!! Poor irolexu, I'll bet if he ever gets another deal like this one, he won't post it on any of the forums. LOL Look everyone, I know irolexu, he is an honest man, he does a lot of watch business, and I must say his integrity is in tact. I know the whole story, and he was as honest about it as anyone could be. He was in the right place at the right tme and had a fist full of dollars in his pocket. End of story. I'll tell you what was interesting, we laid the gen next to a rep that we had, and I got to tell you, we were shocked at how good the rep was, it was truly amazing

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mymanmatt" data-cid="1176863" data-time="1354019272">

<p>&quot;Boys, Boys tis the season!! Poor irolexu, I'll bet if he ever gets another deal like this one, he won't post it on any of the forums. LOL Look everyone, I know irolexu, he is an honest man, he does a lot of watch business, and I must say his integrity is in tact. I know the whole story, and he was as honest about it as anyone could be. He was in the right place at the right tme and had a fist full of dollars in his pocket. End of story. I'll tell you what was interesting, we laid the gen next to a rep that we had, and I got to tell you, we were shocked at how good the rep was, it was truly amazing&quot;</p>

</blockquote>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>OK, so where are the photos?</p>

<p>First, congrats on the deal.<br />

<br />

However, I am failing to see the legal ramifications against the buyer. Perhaps the only backlash is knowing &quot;too much information&quot; about the situation. Otherwise, I can only imagine the amount of watches being sold on eBay and other forums that fall under similar circumstances. Only difference being lack of back story when purchased elsewhere. So the difference lies in plausible deny ability (eg. eBay purchase), and knowingly accepting/buying ~stolen~ merchandise. Also, stolen might be wrong here if the family/estate simply liquidated goods do to the circumstance. Given the fly by night character of the original owner, he would need to present paperwork or registration that shows him as the buyer which he probably does not have or didn't do-- or is now in the possession of the OP.<br />

<br />

That said, unless there is a receipt or registration, or jewelry store who sold the watch, and remembers and is willing to testify, the buyer is in the clear. Honestly, under $5000 would be small claims court, unless the original owner/Dad wanted to press the felony (&gt;$1000) theft angle and spend 3x the value of the watch on Lawyers to prosecute.<br />

<br />

I think the OP is in the clear. The son, may have hell to pay if it came full circle. I would fear a gun toting angry dad over the legal system...<br />

<br />

edit to add why the fsck is cirC U Mstances &quot;Censored&quot;<br />

edit 2 ARGH, my Platinum status is gone, how do we fix that?</p>

Edited by Ronin