When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2671-2 - does it require manual winding?

Hotten Todd

I'm sure this is a total noob question, but I just purchased a rep with a 2671-2 automatic movement. It is of course self-winding, but I already own a Sub rep with an unknown movement which is self-winding, but also needs a manual wind-up from time to time.

When I try manually winding the 2671-2 it doesn't feel right, so maybe it doesn't requite manual winding, but just wanna be sure.

No one? Guys, I realize this is a noob question! I have been doing my homework, I have searched the forum (didn't find an answer), searched on Google (found a trillion links to fishy repsites I didn't feel like clicking), hell I even asked the seller, who gave a rather vague answer that didn't really help. And I really don't wanna ruin the watch.

So, can anyone please answer this simple question: does an ETA 2671-2 movement require manual winding? If no, fine :) If yes, is it supposed to feel like you're just rubbing two pieces of paper against each other when you do it? :g:

2761-2 works the same as any other manual wind. Same thing except smaller. It winds easy and smooth because it's a gen ETA, but should show a little more resistance as it's wound and the mainspring gets tight.

Whether or not you need to wind it depends on your lifestyle. Do you move around enough during the day or are you a couch potato?

kbh, bless your heart for reaching out - thanks!!

Okay, so the good news is, it is actually meant to be wind up manually - good to know! Bad news is... mine does absolutely not feel "easy and smooth"! It's hard to explain how it feels, the best way is actually letting you have a listen to how it sounds like. I have made a 20 second recording using a highly sensitive microphone. First you can hear the sound of my cheap Sub when wound, followed by the new DJ (with the ETA in it). Does this sound right to you??

http://www.provoa.com/WATCH_WIND.mp3

I have gen movements that when wound feel like I'm rubbing dry beach sand between my fingers. Smooth, very low resistance. Other gens feel like coarse rock salt rubbed between my fingers. Some feel "rubbery" from the stem seals fighting me, they're all different.

When you wind it does it start to run? That means the winding is working.

Guys, I'm thrilled to finally get some answers - thank you!

kbh & Nanuq, yes - it does start running (and runs for about two days when left to rest), so the winding mechanism does work. And Nanuq & MD202 - I'm sure you're right on track with your points, it probably just needs a good lube, that's all. But at least now I know that the watch isn't faulty!

Thank you very much, guys.