When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster Chrono Vs. Tag Link Chronograph

By-Tor

Excellenat excellent reaview By-Tor!!! Two thumbs up for you!!

I had the Tag (grey dial) for a short time, and it really IS a beautiful watch, and a perfect rep... The quality on that is amazing.

I had the genuine SMP Pro chrono, but in titanium... At the time (5 years or more ago), it was too thick to wear with a suit, I was always catching it on my cuffs because it is so thick...

Now that I don't have to wear a suit at work any more, it is back to being a perfect choice for me, and I've been eyeing the genuine at a shop in the city...

This review may tip me over the edge to get the rep and save myself a few thousand bucks! Thanks so much, and say hi to the snow dog for me ;-)

By-Tor - excellent review as always ! I smell a Chrono Tournament coming soon. Now, that the Tag Link Chrono has beaten the Omega Chrono in Round 1, what's next for Round 2 - Tag Link Chrono vs Breitling Chrono Avenget? Please let there be a Round 2 ! Please ! :Jumpy:

As a result of By-Tors original review and photos of the TAG Link Chrono, I like many others bought the TAG.

The thing that I am finding lately concerning most chronos, is how thick many of the 7750 cases are, regardless of whether or not the gen has the same case size or not. The thickness of the cases vary, and in the case of the TAG it is 14mm, while the Omega SMP chrono is 18mm.

For a guy like me with the sub 7'' wrist, the thicker chronos are out of the question. In PAM's I can wear most of the base models that are 12mm or 13, but the big monsters like 212 and Sub2500's that are 18mm thick is out of the question. In smaller chrono models with 39 and 40mm case sizes, some of these models are 16-18mm thick. Too tall in my opinion.

For that reason alone I am very happy with the TAG Link, even at 42mm x 14mm it sits well on the wrist.

Great review, By-Tor. Nice to see a comparison.

I got my Chrono last week from Josh and it's not left my wrist!

It most certainly does have an old fashioned 'purposeful' feel to it and the quality is second to none. I have had mine next to a gen and it is almost impossible to tell them apart. I would say this is one of the most accurate reps around and only when you have it next to a gen can you spot the minor flaws.

My pal who has a gen says mine actually keeps better time than his! :whistling:

As a result of By-Tors original review and photos of the TAG Link Chrono, I like many others bought the TAG.

The thing that I am finding lately concerning most chronos, is how thick many of the 7750 cases are, regardless of whether or not the gen has the same case size or not. The thickness of the cases vary, and in the case of the TAG it is 14mm, while the Omega SMP chrono is 18mm.

The gen SMP chrono is very thick watch too... the rep looks accurate to me.

Picture of a genuine:

151641-14661.jpg

hey guys! I have now been reading this forum non-stop for days, just trying to absorb all of the info and help that this site has to offer. regarding my first rep purchase I had narrowed it down to the omega planet ocean, the rolex yachtmaster, and the Tag Huere Link. After this review and By-Tors other Link review I've decided to go with the TH Link and i'm very excited! The Last part I need to figure out is who to order from... I don't want to make a noob mistake and order from [insert name] while [insert name]'s tag huere is just a bit better/newer/updated. I'm not looking for a 'perfect' model or anything. Would a Link from Andrew do me well, who do you suggest?

Anyway, THANKYOU for a great review By-Tor

EDIT: also, is the Senna rep of the same quality, for example from andrew?

thanks for advice!!

Edited by GeeJ

Would a Link from Andrew do me well, who do you suggest?

Anyway, THANKYOU for a great review By-Tor

EDIT: also, is the Senna rep of the same quality, for example from andrew?

thanks for advice!!

All the dealers are selling the exact same version of this watch. (Link Chronograph blue with polished bezel). . Andrew will do nicely, he's a trusted good dealer.

Here's Andrew's link to this specific watch:

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=473

Yeah, great dealer and nice guy.... but man... his pics suck the Big Green Donkey Dick of the Universe!!! :lol:

153076-14370.jpg

cool thanks. still deciding between that one and the other style...

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=235

i'm going to assume this slightly different style is up to par as well right?

Take a look at the date font of that watch.. ;) The rep of the Link Chrono version with the polished bezel has previously had a really bad date font. However Ruby, over at RWI, posted two weeks ago a new version of this Link Chrono with correct date font! :)

In my mind, the polished bezel version is a bit more dressy and more in line with the rest of the Link series. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at the date font of that watch.. ;) The rep of the Link Chrono version with the polished bezel has previously had a really bad date font. However Ruby, over at RWI, posted two weeks ago a new version of this Link Chrono with correct date font! :)

In my mind, the polished bezel version is a bit more dressy and more in line with the rest of the Link series. :)

Hi,

I'm really interested in this watch and I think this couldbe my first purchase (I fear of many),however I have a couple of questions before commiting to buy:

Is Jos selling the new updated version you mentioned?

Is the Airton Senna version with the polished bezel also updated with the correct date font?

As far as I have read Jos seems to be one of the most respetable dealers but as I live in the UK, is him the best option?

Would it be too much to also ask for a recommendation of a very accurate Pan?

Thanks,

Ruki

Is Jos selling the new updated version you mentioned?

All dealers are selling it. Read the original review HERE to find all the answers.

Is the Airton Senna version with the polished bezel also updated with the correct date font?

Yes.

As far as I have read Jos seems to be one of the most respetable dealers but as I live in the UK, is him the best option?

Precious Time is in UK too. So you might get this watch from him without any customs risk. I don't know if he has them on stock though.

Would it be too much to also ask for a recommendation of a very accurate Pan?

Yes. :lol:

Thank you very much for your reply By-tor.

I'm just discovering this replica world and I can say that it's all really exciting and I understand now what all the members were saying about getting hooked, I would buy 10 watches right now if I could.

Anyways, thanks again and I'll be looking for a Pan for a friend of mine as a Christmas present, so maybe I will get to wear it too.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have just concquered the micro adjustment. I am so glad I found it too as I really needed it. I found the easy way to do it without loosing pieces and only using two hands.

Push a paperclip through one side only and depress the springbar on that side. SLide that side out of the link slowly on an angle. Once a part of it was exposed I placed a razor over the springbar and slowly let off the tension. One side is captured by the tube but I unfortunately did not go for that side first. The plunger and spring came out but since I let off pressure slow they just fell infront of me on the desk.

The re-install is the same I inserted the captured side first on an angle then used a razor to compress the other side while I slid it into the link, then it is just a matter of a few wiggles to get the pluger to fall into the hole.

Well I have just concquered the micro adjustment. I am so glad I found it too as I really needed it. I found the easy way to do it without loosing pieces and only using two hands.

Push a paperclip through one side only and depress the springbar on that side. SLide that side out of the link slowly on an angle. Once a part of it was exposed I placed a razor over the springbar and slowly let off the tension. One side is captured by the tube but I unfortunately did not go for that side first. The plunger and spring came out but since I let off pressure slow they just fell infront of me on the desk.

The re-install is the same I inserted the captured side first on an angle then used a razor to compress the other side while I slid it into the link, then it is just a matter of a few wiggles to get the pluger to fall into the hole.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try as well. I could certainly use the tighter micro adjustment.

@Sherrington: Glad you finally found this review mate. Better late than never. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Great review.

I noticed that some of the Link Chronos have the numbers on the bezel and some bezels are just brushed stainless, like the non-chrono bezels. Different prices too.

Does anyone know if they are the same or different generation reps?

It's all answered here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=9437

Thanks By-Tor (and the snow dog).

Now I totally see what you are talking about, the date is trying to bust out of the window.

I own the Swiss ETA-powered standard Link in white. Unbelievable rep. I am coveting the chrono now, but just can't part with $250 to get a watch so similar to the one I have.

The standard is such a great watch to wear for work. No one would ever guess it is a rep, it is so understated but very classy.

Thanks for your quick reply and such excellent info. Not surprising a RUSH fan would be so structured and organized.... I just got an ipod and am getting back into the classics like farewell to kings, permanent waves, hemispheres, etc. I'm also remembering how great Counterparts is. loving it.

• 7 months later...
Excellent as usual. You set a high standards for reviews!

I agree that the Link is the dressier choice. The SMP is more a toolwatch.

I wonder, are the Link as thick as the SMP? The thickness of the SMP makes it a bit awkward to use with a long sleeve shirt. I try to use that as an excuse to buy the Link Chono as well! :)

Guys, the date window issue can that be fixed by replacement with a ETA date window as used in the Tag Carrera Chrono?

Thanks

• 1 month later...