When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How has your taste/style evolved?

Fletchett

I am just wondering how everyone else has been influenced by brands, or even by this forum.

When I have joined I was all over Omegas, later on IWC came to the picture, now I have 3 PAMs on the top of my wishlist.

All this happened within a couple of months.

Is it only me, or this is absolutely normal? :)

there is an old saying ,,,when we make plans,,God laughes..I thinkt the same goes for watches...when we think we have found our definitive collection...the cosmos finds this comical....I have two gen pams and really told myself...you should keep these a whiile...but I'm already thinking of something else...

I also said I would never had another rep...but have one on the way..

When I came to RWG I really disliked PAMs.

And after 8 years I still dislike them. :D I don't get the attraction at all.

Seriously, I think my tastes hasn't evolved much at all. Some new models catched my attention and that's it. I always knew what I wanted.

I had my big watch phase, 45mm Skyland, UPO, etc. but I found out that 40-42mm is the best. Never got the SA though... that was just too much.

It's a sickness. :)

I'm with you, just can't see the allure of the PAM but I honestly think that most of us see them soooo much on here that our minds wonder what we're missing and suddenly we must have one.

I graduated up to 40-42mm myself from gen 36mm Rolex DJ, then to 40mm gen 16610 but then couldn't afford the 116610 so reps took over. Now, I can't stop looking for my next "gotta have" watch. It's so easy since it doesn't cost $20K+ to have more than 1 awesome watch.

Hi, I'm David and I'm a watch addict. :)

Before joining the Forum I was not interested in basic sport watches, the submariner was boring and I couldn't figure out why someone would want a sub when they could have the Carrera Calibre 36RS. Panerai, forget about it, they were more boring than the rolex, there was no appeal at all for these watches.

Now, about a year later, The submariner is one of my favorite watches, I love the new 8500 PO, and that AT from Skyfall - Damn ;)

There are two PAM's on the top of my Rep wishlist and I almost exlusively wear dive watches now.

I still love chronographs for their complexity, I still love to look down and see that big second hand, poised perfectly at 12:00, not even half a degree out of sync and ready to start a smooth sweep across the dial.

In conclusion, have my tastes changed? Maybe, but I prefer to think of my horizons as being broadened

When I came to RWG I really disliked PAMs.

And after 8 years I still dislike them. :D I don't get the attraction at all.

Seriously, I think my tastes hasn't evolved much at all. Some new models catched my attention and that's it. I always knew what I wanted.

I had my big watch phase, 45mm Skyland, UPO, etc. but I found out that 40-42mm is the best. Never got the SA though... that was just too much.

+1

total agree

come to the forums lusting a Rolex

Get distracted by classic brands like Patek and JLC

Discover Panerai and try it after swearing I wouldn't go there

Amass a hugh PAM collection

Discover IWC

Discover Franken building of PAM's

Start lusting Rolex again

The circle of life :)

I've collected watches since I was a teenager. but when I initially found the forums I went crazy. First on PMWF with cheap gens, then on the rep forums. I'd buy just about anything, I bet I bought 30 - 40 watches my first year on the rep forums.

I tried to like PAMs, I bought tons of them, they never really worked for me. I even bought 3 different 048s and a really rare 42mm 158 Radiomir thinking that I'd like the smaller size, but to no avail. I do still have 2 PAMs, a 112 and a 287, mainly because they're not worth much and I'd rather keep them than sell them for nothing.

Eventually 2 things happened: 1) I figured out what I liked and stopped buying stuff that other people liked, and 2) Became willing to spend the money to get top quality pieces.

I still haven't found the perfect daily beater though...

I used to like chronos, because I thought they were cooler because they did more things. I was also anti-rolex. Now almost my entire collection is Rolex, and I have no chronos. I've just found the size, balance, aesthetic to be better. Although, bi-compax chronos are a whole different animal. That's why I'm building a 7032.

Also, I've gotten more into building the watch that I want, vs. accuracy. I've come to terms with the fact that I haven't found the perfect watch. However, with a nudge here, and a pinch here, I can get pretty close.

Also, I only wear dive watches, and the 7032, when completed, will be the first departure from that in the last 7 or so years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As above, I figured out what I liked, and stopped buying stuff that other people liked. My first collection was essentially all the movie watches I thought were cool (with a few PAMs thrown in) When I sold the collection, I found myself sticking more to one brand: Rolex. Two reasons for this which I can identify myself, are:

- I'd got married and turned 30. I felt 'old enough' to wear a Rolex

- It was the brand on the last watch I did not sell, so I stuck with them (I've always been strong on Brand Loyalty, when I was younger, I would only buy Sony audio equipment, Panasonic AV equipment, Philips shavers, Gillette razors. Some would say that I was a chump taken in by branding and marketing, I prefer to think that I made choices based on product satisfaction...)

The way my collection's since been re-built, I can only put down to me having grown up and matured more as a person. I'm not trying to wear James Bond's watch to add a few inches, nor wear the latest brand to try and impress the women, I wear what I want for my own reasons and requirements :victory: While it is nice to get a compliment on a watch, it rarely happens :pardon: Now my collection is based around what I'll be doing, I can go weeks/months without changing my watch, the only exception being Tudor Tuesday :good::drinks:

[Edit to add]

I've also now realized that I don't necessarily need to buy every watch I like, if the watch(s) I have are more useful... Was just on the phone to my brother in Japan, and needed to work out a call-back time. A quick rotation of the GMT bezel to show Japanese time, and I was sorted. A 16800 wouldn't be able to do that, and I'd've been umming and ahing, to work it out, rather than just being straight on point... I'm now thinking "Do I really need to build a watch which I want, but don't actually need... :g: " I take that as another sign of my views maturing, by being able to separate aesthetic desire, from functional requirement :good::drinks:

When I came here Omega's and Tag no vintage stuff either..........and certainly no Rolex, the 'old mans watch' I never liked.....cough.....cough......how times change eh :huh:

Now I eat breathe and [censored] Rolex, oh and Tudor too! :fool: My name is sgtguk and I'm a watch addict :partytime:

• Like 1

I was always into chronographs years ago, went through several phases, Chrono, big watch, more busy the better, small watch, finally figuring out what fits and works etc. I bought my first rep about 15 years ago, wore that for years, but then became obsessed by the speedy pro. I couldn't afford one so got into reps again via Tony and Josh (watcheden and pclones) around 2006. I went an odd way about things in that I actually found the dealers before I found the forums :D.

The forums were an eye opener, especially this one, I lurked and read avidly! I wore reps for years until 2009 or so when I could finally look at the gen prices and not put my hand over my eyes. I think my taste has evolved in that I've tried the big blingly stuff and I always come back to the more low key well balanced stuff. Chronos have to be not too busy and then they work, classic Rolex like the explorers I and II and subs upto 16610 always work. Ceramic and [censored] like that is too much for the most part. A nice unassuming speedy or a vintage daytona always look great. Othewise it is pretty much non chrono. Never really got the pam stuff no matter how much I tried, some are ok I guess, brushed always beats polished, no gold or precious metals :D

Watches are a strange old game! ;)

Edited by cougar1

Got up to 60 watches at a moment !

Like others, when I discovered RWG I couldn't belive what I read and saw and bought every single watch that was matching my taste.

Then, year after year I realised that I was only wearing a few watches and that even if the other ones were still nice to look at, wearing them was not an option.

So I sold everything includung many modified ones.

In the end, I always wanted a Submariner and a JLC: I have both ones, genuine now and they are the one I really wear.

The rest of the box contains mainly Rolex (1665,1680,16710 and Exporer II), all reps and all worn.

So, no evolution here at all: Rolex is my brand not only in terms of taste but also for the ease of them. Simple to wear and size when I gain or loose weight (lost 10kg lately) ;)

I tried almost every possible type of watch but the black dials and the ss bracelet, except to wear with a suit, are my thing and will remain for ever I guess !

Got up to 60 watches at a moment !

Like others, when I discovered RWG I couldn't belive what I read and saw and bought every single watch that was matching my taste.

Then, year after year I realised that I was only wearing a few watches and that even if the other ones were still nice to look at, wearing them was not an option.

So I sold everything includung many modified ones.

In the end, I always wanted a Submariner and a JLC: I have both ones, genuine now and they are the one I really wear.

The rest of the box contains mainly Rolex (1665,1680,16710 and Exporer II), all reps and all worn.

So, no evolution here at all: Rolex is my brand not only in terms of taste but also for the ease of them. Simple to wear and size when I gain or loose weight (lost 10kg lately) ;)

I tried almost every possible type of watch but the black dials and the ss bracelet, except to wear with a suit, are my thing and will remain for ever I guess !

Good to see you posting, my friend, congrats on the 10kg :good::drinks:

As above, I figured out what I liked, and stopped buying stuff that other people liked. My first collection was essentially all the movie watches I thought were cool (with a few PAMs thrown in) When I sold the collection, I found myself sticking more to one brand: Rolex. Two reasons for this which I can identify myself, are:

- I'd got married and turned 30. I felt 'old enough' to wear a Rolex

- It was the brand on the last watch I did not sell, so I stuck with them (I've always been strong on Brand Loyalty, when I was younger, I would only buy Sony audio equipment, Panasonic AV equipment, Philips shavers, Gillette razors. Some would say that I was a chump taken in by branding and marketing, I prefer to think that I made choices based on product satisfaction...)

The way my collection's since been re-built, I can only put down to me having grown up and matured more as a person. I'm not trying to wear James Bond's watch to add a few inches, nor wear the latest brand to try and impress the women, I wear what I want for my own reasons and requirements :victory: While it is nice to get a compliment on a watch, it rarely happens :pardon: Now my collection is based around what I'll be doing, I can go weeks/months without changing my watch, the only exception being Tudor Tuesday :good::drinks:

[Edit to add]

I've also now realized that I don't necessarily need to buy every watch I like, if the watch(s) I have are more useful... Was just on the phone to my brother in Japan, and needed to work out a call-back time. A quick rotation of the GMT bezel to show Japanese time, and I was sorted. A 16800 wouldn't be able to do that, and I'd've been umming and ahing, to work it out, rather than just being straight on point... I'm now thinking "Do I really need to build a watch which I want, but don't actually need... :g: " I take that as another sign of my views maturing, by being able to separate aesthetic desire, from functional requirement :good::drinks:

Good to see you back ol' buddy. My signature is for you especially bro :D :D

Good to see you back ol' buddy. My signature is for you especially bro :D :D

Thanks, bro, I've had a few computer issues the past weeks, so only had sporadic access :bangin: Love it :good::drinks: It's close enough to the Audi in I, Robot that I'd drive it* :victory:

*Like a complete jackass, of course ;)

Thanks, bro, I've had a few computer issues the past weeks, so only had sporadic access :bangin: Love it :good::drinks: It's close enough to the Audi in I, Robot that I'd drive it* :victory:

*Like a complete jackass, of course ;)

yes, and thats how I know its the real Teejay, and not some clone. You're well-missed bro.

you and your famouslove for audi :drinks:

yes, and thats how I know its the real Teejay, and not some clone. You're well-missed bro.

you and your famouslove for audi :drinks:

Thanks, bro, felt like I'd lost a limb when my laptop's power-lead stopped working and I had to wait for a replacement, but all sorted now :victory: