When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help picking a Gen

Jason

Which GEN  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gen???

• IWC Portuguese 7 Day
    • IWC Big Pilot
    • JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chrono
    • Zenith El Primero Striking 10th
    • Panerai 233

Trying to pick out a new GEN.

I don't have many, I have an all black Uboat 53mm Chrono, and a DSSD. So I am looking to pick up something pretty versitile that I can mix in with some occasional wear for a few reps.

The short list is:

IWC Portuguese 7 Day (Silver dial with blue numerals) I have always like this watch, it is timeless, and the 7 day movement is a great achievement. Great dress watch that I could wear to work regularly but not something I can wear on the weekends.

794525d1345249453-jlc-master-geographic-2011-iwc-portuguese-7-days-5001-14-iw500107.jpg

IWC Big Pilot I have always loved this watch and it again shares the 7 day movement. I was a little disappointed as it was a bit uncomfortable on the wrist. and is really a weekend watch and could occasionally wear it to work on casual days.

iw5004-01.jpg

JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chrono. Big watch with nice presence can get away at work and on the weekend. I like the history of JLC, and the complication of the multitimezone function.

klext.jpg

Zenith El Primero Striking 10th. Great history, and a nice limited watch with cool 10th of a second big second hand chrono. A bit plain looking on the wrist though.

zenith-el-primero-striking-10th-facebook-1a.jpg

Panerai 233. The ultimate modern Panerai in my oppinion, can dress up and down, love the 8 day movement and 12 hour GMT.

666738d1333148876-help-me-find-panerai-panerai-233-close.jpg

Really looking for a watch that will not be repped well in the near future. Would love to know what the forum thinks???

Guest sharkrun20

IWC Porto...which is something I think you can wear weekends as well (I think it goes with jeans and a semi casual shirt).

I love the JLC Extreme World Chrono though and would have one if it fit my damn wrist.

i'm very partial to GMT type watches, as they have a great deal of utility for me. i travel a fair amount, my wife travels as well. It's always nice to know the time at home as well as where we/ I / She is. So either the JLC or the PAM would be my choices. the JLC would be my first choice and the Pam a very distant second. i had a watch very similar to the JLC, a Maurice Lacroix Revil Globe. It had almost exactly the same configuration as the JLC. I would not consider this a watch that would go well with a suit as it's pretty big and hulking. As I seldom wear a suit, it, the ML Revil Globe, wasn't a problem for me. i seriously doubt that the JLC will ever be replicated in anything like a believable replica.

• 1 month later...

Jlc Ewc hands down... The brand is just amazing, fit and finish, movement and heritage! I have one amongst two other jlc's. always accurate and wear well.. I actually may sell my Ewc soon contact me, fully complete box papers and extra gator strap (and of course rubber) tang buckle no deploy

given the big pilot has a pretty solid replica (albeit with a non-functional power reserve), i would have to say the iwc portuguese seven day as well.  beautiful watch, and it will outlast all of the others (except for perhaps the big pilot) in timelessness.

enjoy your new watch (whatever it ends up being)!

deltatahoe