When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen hands for Submariner 16610 with an ETA 2824

watchfreund

I would go the route of one of the clone 3135 movements, if you buy a genuine 3135 and then have to have it serviced (Likely if it's a few years old and never serviced plus the genuine dial, hands,bezel, insert, crystal,crown/tube,bracelet and springbars you are going to be getting pretty close to what you could buy a genuine 16610 for. Probably within a thousand dollars or less. No matter what you do, it's still going to be a franken.

I've said it countless times here on the forum, guys get head over heels into a project and it ends up costing a lot more than they first budgeted. Later on, if you decide to sell the watch, you are going to find out that while there is a big market for 200-500 USD reps, when you get into the rarified air of the superfranken (1500-6000 USD) you will find that the buyer pool shrinks to the size of a tiny puddle! Just look at the sales forum and see how many of the really wonderful builds languish there for weeks and weeks, sometimes months. Quite frequently, the seller will have to resort to parting out the watch to recoup some of his expenses. Just a word from one who has been there, done that and knows from experience what the costs cane be for a superfranken project.I've got a DRSD 1665 Seadweller that I have probably in excess of 3500 USD in, if you count everything including postage and insurance to send the watch back and forth several times to my watchmaker when I wanted to change something, add something or get some problems straightened out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good and fast feedback. But I think this is 100% right:

"I've said it countless times here on the forum, guys get head over heels into a project and it ends up costing a lot more than they first budgeted. Later on, if you decide to sell the watch, you are going to find out that while there is a big market for 200-500 USD reps, when you get into the rarified air of the superfranken (1500-6000 USD) you will find that the buyer pool shrinks to the size of a tiny puddle! Just look at the sales forum and see how many of the really wonderful builds languish there for weeks and weeks, sometimes months. Quite frequently, the seller will have to resort to parting out the watch to recoup some of his expenses. Just a word from one who has been there, done that and knows from experience what the costs cane be for a superfranken project.I've got a DRSD 1665 Seadweller that I have probably in excess of 3500 USD in, if you count everything including postage and insurance to send the watch back and forth several times to my watchmaker when I wanted to change something, add something or get some problems straightened out."

You have to be careful and always look at the costs. I already have everything from TC for this Sub + Gen crown, tube, insert, pearl. Some money for mods like custom shaving the TC bracelet to fit the TC case and so on. It is so close to the gen. And I am just somewhere above 1000€. Going up to almost 2500 Euro is nonsense since the gen gets so close for the price. I think 30% of the gen price should be the maximum.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1354096597" data-cid="1177167" data-author="Watchfreund"><p>Thanks for the good and fast feedback. But I think this is 100% right:<br /> <br />"I've said it countless times here on the forum, guys get head over heels into a project and it ends up costing a lot more than they first budgeted. Later on, if you decide to sell the watch, you are going to find out that while there is a big market for 200-500 USD reps, when you get into the rarified air of the superfranken (1500-6000 USD) you will find that the buyer pool shrinks to the size of a tiny puddle! Just look at the sales forum and see how many of the really wonderful builds languish there for weeks and weeks, sometimes months. Quite frequently, the seller will have to resort to parting out the watch to recoup some of his expenses. Just a word from one who has been there, done that and knows from experience what the costs cane be for a superfranken project.I've got a DRSD 1665 Seadweller that I have probably in excess of 3500 USD in, if you count everything including postage and insurance to send the watch back and forth several times to my watchmaker when I wanted to change something, add something or get some problems straightened out."<br /><br />

Smart idea. I generally try to stick to around 20% of gen cost, but today with the prices of parts especially vintage Rolex, it's next to impossible to stay within that budget. Probably 30% is more realistic. i believe that adding a clone movement and then start looking for a genuine dial and hands. They do come up for sale, and they are not nearly as expensive as a lot of the vintage dials, put that al ltogether, and you will have one nice 16610.<br /> <br />You have to be careful and always look at the costs. I already have everything from TC for this Sub + Gen crown, tube, insert, pearl. Some money for mods like custom shaving the TC bracelet to fit the TC case and so on. It is so close to the gen. And I am just somewhere above 1000€. Going up to almost 2500 Euro is nonsense since the gen gets so close for the price. I think 30% of the gen price should be the maximum.</p></blockquote>