When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold PN daytona

halley

DW does offer a 14k YG 6263 case kit. But I can assure that the watch in the eBay auction is a fake. The movement says it all at first glance; one look at the balance is all it takes. V72's re-worked by Rolex should not have a regulator, but rather microstella screws on the balance wheel. The case... As Ludo mentioned... spring bar holes on only one side of the case?!? Those pushers are weaksauce, and that caseback looks too tall; comparing the auction pics with an EE 6263 I have on hand, the caseback is the same. Some other details just don't look right either, and I'm sure if we had a better, closer pic of the dial, we'd find problems there too. This particular watch looks like it probably wasn't cheap to make, so with all that money invested, why not go the extra distance and at least get the case right? :) At least the movement cannot be seen under everyday conditions, though if trying to sell the watch, there is no doubt that any educated and smart buyer will want to see what's under the hood.

Oh, and one final observation from me- The saying 'if it's too good to be true, it probably is...' Well, folks. We all know that stainless steel Daytonas sell for ridiculous prices, but what about the 18k Newmans?!?! Those puppies are up in the $90k to $100k+ ranges depending on condition and whether or not complete with boxes, papers, etc. As of this writing, the watch has 10 hours left, 30 bids, and $16k with no reserve. A bit underpriced, no? Don't you think that the seller of a true, GENUINE watch of this value would want what the watch is really worth? I know I wouldn't want to short change myself nearly $80k US. But, that's just me ;)

Guest avitt

Along with the things that Ubi has pointed out, you can see from the pictures that the bridge plate is fake. (The gens have nice, countersunk beveled holes for the screw and jewels). Also, look at the "727" under the balance wheel. The second "7" uses a different font, and it not correctly spaced. I think that this seller went to the trouble of converting a VJ72 to a VJ727.

BTW, did anyone catch the DW bridge plate, which is currently at $208, with 5 days left!

Engraved Bridge For Valjoux 72 Series Rolex Daytona

When I look at the close shot of the VJ727 he sells I tought the belveled screw holes were ok compared to the VJ727, but the bridge was clearly wrong, now if all the movement has been modified...the question is were is it too much work to make $16000

I'm scared that this DW bridge wont fit a VJ72 anyway...

Up to 18 grand now. Do you reckon that when the guy who buys the watch receives it will actually notice or just assume its real....period (many people out there who do taht BTW).

Its a tendency on ebay that when an item gets high bids people reckon its ACTUALLY worth what people are bidding.....or more.

People dont even bother checking stuff out sometimes...

Aaaaaaand, do you think the guy who is selling knows its fake or bought it as real.....

Tough to say. The vintage game is a dangerous place to be setting foot in these days. For the amount of money at stake, it really pays to either purchase the item in person so that the merchandise can be inspected first hand, or pay a premium to go through a trusted and knowledgable dealer who specializes in vintage Rolex. At any rate, it's always difficult to determine if either party in an ebay auction truly knows what they are getting into. Chances are that the seller probably knows that the watch is not genuine, otherwise, he would have sold with a high reserve to guarantee payout of what the watch is worth (starting the item high), or he would have sold it using a different venue, possibly consignment through a knowledgable and trusted dealer to get closer to what the watch is truly valued at. As for the buyer- There are many people out there just itching to get in on the Rolex vintage phenominon. Some uneducated buyers out there with lots to spare may see this as an excellent opportunity to 'buy low' to have something nice to hold onto (and maybe sell high later). Or... It could be shill bidding to push the price up to make the auction seem a little more legit. Or... Who knows? The possibilities are endless on either side of the fence.

Guest avitt
Aaaaaaand, do you think the guy who is selling knows its fake or bought it as real.....

...I can answer that question. The seller has bought a few vintage Daytona components from me in the past, some of which have made their way onto eBay in one form or another...He knows what's up.

Edited by avitt

Heres a little story of whats gonna happen:

:Jumpy: Seller will be very happy he made so much money

:pimp: He will spend all of his 'profit' on clothes, cigars, and girls.

:) The buyer gets his watch and ooooooo what a watch, hes very happy!

:pray: Meanwhile on the sellers new yacht he hopes the buyer hasnt a clue by praying to god.

:blink: The buyer notices something is wrong with the watch.....but he just cant put his finger on it.....

:huh: He just cant seem to grasp it.....hmmm.....theres a 'Rolex' logo and a sweeping hand...looks real....

:o JESUS! its a fake! oh my god.....what to do.....WHAT TO DO!!

:wounded1: Hes hurt financially, mentally, emotionally, what has happened????

:angry: He's [censored], wants to beat the [censored] outta the seller....

:whistling: The seller is contacted and pretends he has noooooo idea whats going on...rep?...whats that?

:frusty: Buyer is still [censored] and frustrated at the sellers reluctance to give a refund.

:cry: Buyer cries and calls for authorities.....

:wheelchair: No one comes to the rescue...so he goes to beat the seller up.....and the seller lands in a wheelchair

:giveup: The seller agrees to give a refund....he surrenders.....

B) Buyer is happy again that he has his money and spots a POLLX SeaMariner VII on ebay....$5,000....deal!

Created by: Dutchy

Directed by: Dutchy

Props: Beers

Edited by Dutchy

thank god so few of these get sold...ever notice that most of the time when questionable watch auctions end with a winning bid no feedback--positive or negative--ever shows up? My personal theory is that some of these sellers get called out by so many people that they get cold feet and "win" the auctions themselves with dummy bids.

Mullers are actually far worse than rolexes for scams--a very bad recipe: a newly "hot" watch + very high quality reps + lots of OEM dials, straps, and boxes available + very few people knowledgable enough to spot the reps. I notify ebay of at least 3 scams a day....and that is [censored] up. right now there's even a rep dial being sold as OEM.

You'd think he'd be MUCH more careful....

Gold 6263's were CHRONOMETER CERTIFIED. Said so on the dial...

Rhodium plated Rolex movement better finished than one shown.Take a look at http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog_asta.html for some currently offered examples!

IIRC No mention of the COSC certified on PN GOLD, only on ref non exotic dial 626380 and 626580

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to go OT, but it was mentioned that DW makes a 14k case--is this a solid 14k case? If so, I may have to pick one up for the old mad who wants a daytona franken in gold--I bet he'd think one from his hey day would be a lot cooler than the '99 daytona i'm working on for him...