When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue snowflake insert needed

aeromatic

My new blue snowflake project is stuck i ordered a blue insert for a 94010 tudor and its too dark ebay photo showed it looking a lot lighter and i was hoping it would match but its also too purple/blue any help will be appreciated

i thought about fading the insert but i think it will still look too purple/blue

post-27094-0-24826400-1356067593_thumb.j

post-27094-0-38880700-1356068009_thumb.j

this is the colour tone im looking for on this gen 94011

post-27094-0-27689800-1356068554_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

I believe that you are going to have to buy a genuine insert to get that true "Tudor Blue"

I thought as much, i put a bid on ebay for a new oldstock gen i was the only bidder and on the end of auction ebay informed me that the insert is no longer available this happened to me again last month on a gen 5513 rolex box

i see a few gens on ebay but they say they are for the tudor mini submariner.

Edited by aeromatic

Well after the holidays i will try to fade slightly the dark blue insert i dont think i would want to risk trying to darken the light blue flake dial with tinted laquer i have no idea what a wood colour varnish would do the markers and blue dial .

Edited by aeromatic

What case are you using for your build mate,  I think this is going to be my next build.

Cheers

im using the trusty 1680 redsub watch with the 2846 eta my last 5513 was built with puretimes 1680 redsub puretimeswatch is much better built

the problem with these cases is the bezel/crystal set up we had to modify it on both watches the trusty case came with very good cgs and not the stubby fat type we had to add a stainless steel ring under the rehaunt for seating the 26mm tudor dial

we been having a problem fitting a clark crystal and had to shave the crystal to fit, and make a metal retaining ring

here is a photo as purchased the profile of the rep case matches with a gen profile 94011 watch both watches came with 2mm lugholes which is a bonus imho i believe these are the best rep cases for a low budget build

post-27094-0-30860800-1356455735_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

add a stainless steel ring under the rehaunt for seating the 26mm tudor dial

I am curious about this, can you post a picture of this mod?

Cheers

i have the watch at the shop soon as i can i will post pics ,its a thin stainless steel ring that fills the gap and stops the dial falling through the rehaunt its only noticable with a lobe the only parts im waiting for to finish the watch are the gen crown/tube and jmb backcase engraving we have used also a transparent plastic ring to make up the gap the problem with this case is the dial is 26mm and the rehaunt is also 26mm

i have the watch at the shop soon as i can i will post pics ,its a thin stainless steel ring that fills the gap and stops the dial falling through the rehaunt its only noticable with a lobe the only parts im waiting for to finish the watch are the gen crown/tube and jmb backcase engraving we have used also a transparent plastic ring to make up the gap the problem with this case is the dial is 26mm and the rehaunt is also 26mm

Where did you get the thin stainless steel ring for the rehaunt?

Cheers

Where did you get the thin stainless steel ring for the rehaunt?

Cheers

You may be able to find them from a hardware store they are usualy washers used for inserts in pipes making a plastic transparent ring using a compass would not be difficult and can be left has it is or even painted with silver spray paint you can use one of those A4 transparent plastic files if you found the correct colour for your dial it would be invisable

I have faded the insert using plastic polish that is used for removing scratches and yellowing out of plastic car headlights to avoid over fading the insert edges i fitted the insert in the bezel and fitted an old crystal this keeps you away from those edges where you can easily go down to the aluminium here are some quick photos the insert still looks darker in the flesh than in these photos but the contrast between dial and insert is less!

post-27094-0-55180300-1356794011_thumb.j

post-27094-0-43112700-1356794029_thumb.j

post-27094-0-59040400-1356794137_thumb.j

post-27094-0-90460200-1356794260_thumb.j

notice the thin stainless steel ring  just visible under the rehaunt this mod was nessesary for fitting the tudor 26mm dial  into the rep 1680 case

have been keeping my watchmaker friend working over the holidays helping me with this project ! i think he is planning on shooting me by the new year ! thanks mate!

Edited by aeromatic

It looks great mate, your project is really making me want to do one. I notice the thin stainless steel ring but it looks great. let me know if you have any spare one

Im sorry i dont have a spare my watchmaker made it im not sure if he used a washer and modded it or made it from scratch i have seen these type of washers at plumber and builders merchance anyone with a lathe can make one as they have to be made especially for each watch rafflestime sells dials 29mm and 26mm 29mm will not fit in this rep 1680 some dials i have seen are 27mm which would fit in this 1680 case without mods, go for it these tudor submariners are super and are more suited to eta movement than rolex subs especally when fitted with a tudor rotor did you see my black bay style homage ?