When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blood, Sweat and Tears "The Trials and Tribulations of a very special build"

eVojlib

It's been a long time coming and its almost there....

Its was a fascination I had since I was a young kid to own a watch rich in history, a watch that has a long history being one of Rolex's most popular sport models. The GMT Master with its unique Pepsi colored bezel insert is probably one of my favorite vintage pieces, or atleast on of the top 5.

Being very interested in this watch I decided to do a little research and put together what I felt was a encyclopedia members could use to compare the variations of GMT's offered thru the years. Actually it was somthing that I wanted to use as a segue to a build that I had been working on for over a year or so, it quickly got out of hand as the information just hept stacking up and my build was nowhere near done.

I would deffinately say this watch is a pain to build with great accuracy and reliability, there are many variables one would consider when creating this watch. It was my goal to build a version of the 1675 that would be accurate to a late 70's model and this is what I ended up with. Although not quite finished at the moment, its very close to being completed.

I would like to thank PBdad for helping me with this build and his patience to see it thru. It was our vision to complete the build with the following parts and modifications.

- Phongs 1675 case and caseback
- Gen 116 Plexi
- Gen Crown and Tube
- Gen Service dial w/ luminova
- Gen 7836 Folded Bracelet
- Gen Pepsi Insert
- Gen bezel assy
- Gen ETA 2893-2 with pinion modification

For anyone wanting to enjoy more pictures and history if this great watch just visit the sticky section at the top of the Rolex page and see parts 1 and 2.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/149110-rolex-gmt-master-history-and-reference-pictoral-part-1/

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/149112-rolex-gmt-master-history-and-reference-pictoral-part-2/

Thanks for looking guys...

Pics anyone???

dsc0009iwq.jpg

dsc0012ui.jpg

dsc0013ys.jpg

dsc0014mr.jpg

dsc0015ll.jpg

dsc0029nj.jpg

dsc0031dw.jpg

dsc0022qq.jpg

dsc0024mo.jpg

dsc0025lp.jpg

dsc0016nf.jpg

dsc0017bv.jpg

dsc0018vm.jpg

dsc0019eb.jpg

dsc0020pxx.jpg

dsc0021mlb.jpg

dsc0032fmf.jpg

dsc0034yhsj.jpg

dsc0035ir.jpg

dsc0037kv.jpg

dsc0040s.jpg

dsc0041kj.jpg

dsc0042qd.jpg

Edited by eVojlib

Spectacular!!! I notice one detail that has me scratching my chin. Leave it to vintage Rolex to do the inexplicable. :g: Yours is a SWISS dial, but I doubt it dates earlier than my tropical gilt. And yet look at mine! Sooooo strange. post-32-135615368641.jpg

Spectacular!!! I notice one detail that has me scratching my chin. Leave it to vintage Rolex to do the inexplicable. :g: Yours is a SWISS dial, but I doubt it dates earlier than my tropical gilt. And yet look at mine! Sooooo strange.

Ha ha, this is what happens when you send your 1675 to rolex for a dial service... They install the "swiss" service dial w luminova, its the latest of dial variants of a 1675

Very nice indeed, what datewheel did you use ..?

P.

Its an eta overlay I found on ebay, it has no open 6 or 9 but some numbers have a vintage font as opposed to more modern and vice versa. I picked this over the silver one for the time being as the silver has too much sparkle and I figured it would look odd with the newer looking dial.

I am very happy with the dwo and how it aligns, althougt the reason the date is riding low is the movement has shifted slightly lending to that effect. My next step is a custom movement holder ring and a true vintage overlay.

If you have any leads on either that would be great.

Thanks guys

Its an eta overlay I found on ebay, it has no open 6 or 9 but some numbers have a vintage font as opposed to more modern and vice versa. I picked this over the silver one for the time being as the silver has too much sparkle and I figured it would look odd with the newer looking dial.

I am very happy with the dwo and how it aligns, althougt the reason the date is riding low is the movement has shifted slightly lending to that effect. My next step is a custom movement holder ring and a true vintage overlay.

If you have any leads on either that would be great.

Thanks guys

Good vintage overlays are hard to come by especially as the flaws are noticeable in the cyclops. The silver cartel one are pretty bad for that. I just brought a couple of gen vintage ones with the right date rotation, they do exist. Problem is making them thin enough to use as an overlay. i destroyed one trying to work it on my 1675.

Yuki supposedly has the movement holders ...

Cheers

P.

Good vintage overlays are hard to come by especially as the flaws are noticeable in the cyclops. The silver cartel one are pretty bad for that. I just brought a couple of gen vintage ones with the right date rotation, they do exist. Problem is making them thin enough to use as an overlay. i destroyed one trying to work it on my 1675.    Yuki supposedly has the movement holders ...   Cheers   P.
Tell you what P, if you run across an overlay that has the vintage fonts and will work with the 2893 let me know. I would be very interested in one since my current one is good quality but wrong font

That's a sweet build!  From the parts list looks like you could've had a gen vintage for a few more $$! Congratulations!
Thanks... It was an expensive build at just over 2 k, however, for me to find a gen in this condition I would have doubled my investment. Although, it heavily weighed on me every time the project stalled

Beautiful build. That is a really nice version with the service dial,hands. you get lots of lume, and it's certainly keeping with what you would get back if you sent your vintage to a Rolex Service Center  and did not specifically tell them to leave the dial and hands the hell alone!!

Using the Phong case solves one of the biggest problems that I see with most 1675/16750 builds, the width of the case guard space. All the others use a 6mm crown and when you try to build a 1675 and use a proper 5.3 crown, it's a glaring defect because the space between the crown and the crown guards is way too wide. yours looks great!

Nice to see that you were able to use a 2893-2, as it is a really good GMT movement.