When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2846: I am 0 for 3

ldegeneve

ETA 2846: 0 for 3...

"None of them have worked particularly well, all due to old parts (so servicing wasn't really an option)."

I have c/o quite a few 2846 both 17 jewel and 25 jewel models and what I find wrong more than anything is worn out or dry/dirty reversers. If you still have all three of them maybe someone could take them all and make one good movement for you. Try to use a 25 jewel a/w assembly if possible and a new mainspring might be a worthwhile addition. 

Be sure to demagnetize the movement after it is finished.

In my experience these movements tend to keep pretty good time (+/-15 to 45 seconds a day after service) but they might run faster or slower than they normally do when the reserve is low or the watch is parked for a long time in one position. I have also seen a few that did not time out very well on a timing machine but kept very good time when worn. I have one 2846 in a 1016 project that used to stop now and then and I took it apart 2 or 3 times and never did find anything wrong (usually caused by a speck on a train wheel etc). What finally fixed it was changing out the case clamp screws for what looked to me to be an identical set. (??)

I found the fix by accident when I loosened the screws to remove the movement just after the watch had stopped.

Loosey = runney, tightey = stoppey. :pimp:

"What's a better alternative ETA 2783? Or should I just live with hi-beat and go for the more accurate 2836-2?"

If it is for a vintage project, I would stick with the 2846 etc because of the 21600 beat rate but if it is a modern type watch the 2824/36 is probably a better choice.

I now have several too, and as freddy and Automatico said, they are good movements but do need to be serviced. The parts are readily available, should you need any. Many are shared by the ETA2836-2. I did a full service on one myself, it runs great. And I have two with MD2020 for full servicing as we speak. He's very reasonable, and saves my tired old eyes! He's in the Chicago suburbs. Just PM him.  

I recommend throwing the 2846 in the trash. I too have never had any luck, even with new ones. I recommend the 2879 on ebay under eta movements. I have used several and been very satisfied. I do recommend that you lightly oil them when you recieve it.

"I recommend the 2879 on ebay under eta movements. I have used several and been very satisfied. I do recommend that you lightly oil them when you recieve it."

The 2879 is a very good movement. I have a few and one super good runner is in a steel Bucherer 'chronometer' from the 1970s. You see a lot of them in 1970s watches and the eBay nos 2879 for $59 for sale now is a bargain.

The 17 jewel Eta 2846 is probably the bottom of the line as for escapement/autowind quality but the plates, train wheels etc are same as the higher grade eta 28xx series. The 25 jewel 2846 is one step up but it probably has the same escapement. I always c/o these old movements even if nos because the oil has usually dried up and there is no way to get around it. The cap jewels in the escapement sometimes will have a spot of dried oli/dirt on them and there is no way to get them clean and properly oiled other than to take them apart and do the job the old fashioned way.

C/o escapement cap and hole jewels is one of the worst things about working on mechanical movements but it is one of the most important...not nearly as bad as hairsprings but probably tied with the old automatic A.Schild day/date 'A frame' calendar works.

They look like there is a kid's swing set stuffed under the dial.   :pimp:  

"C/O means clean and oil?"

Yes. Sometimes you see coa = clean, oil, adjust.

'Adjust' usually just means adjust timing.   

'Adjust' may go so far as to include checking the balance wheel in the round and flat plus 'poise' as well as checking the hairspring to see that it is level and even with no close coils etc.

'Poise' means balancing the balance wheel after it is checked to be round and flat. You do not get this much now because the fellows who know how to do it are mostly gone from the business.

When a balance staff is replaced, some of the better repair guys will take time to check the balance wheel for flat and round plus poise, especially on a high grade watch.

I need to shut up!  :prop:

"C/O means clean and oil?" Yes. Sometimes you see coa = clean, oil, adjust. 'Adjust' usually just means adjust timing. 'Adjust' may go so far as to include checking the balance wheel in the round and flat plus 'poise' as well as checking the hairspring to see that it is level and even with no close coils etc. 'Poise' means balancing the balance wheel after it is checked to be round and flat. You do not get this much now because the fellows who know how to do it are mostly gone from the business. When a balance staff is replaced, some of the better repair guys will take time to check the balance wheel for flat and round plus poise, especially on a high grade watch. I need to shut up! :prop:
Awesome info, Thx!!