When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP 300M Chrono -vs- Non-Chrono?

vandal.tbh

Hey guys,

I'm actually in the market for a Planet Ocean, but I'm waiting until the ceramic bezel version comes out.  Since that could be some time, I'm looking to buy an SMP 300M to hold me over.  I've found two that I am interested in, but I'm having a hard time deciding.  I was hoping that some of you may have some insight or advice on these two.  Both are from Joshua:

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M Chrono

OMSE 00111 (http://www.1-pc8838.com/000omse00111-300m-2008-chrono-blue-a7750-updated-p-9106.html)

A7750 with Updated Dial

KeJy4_zps5f93913c.jpg

8TSaH_zpse9e89849.jpg

Omega Seamaster Professional 300M

OMSE 10002 (http://www.1-pc8838.com/omse10002-seamaster-300m-professional-blue-swiss-28242-upda-p-6805.html)

Swiss ETA 2824-2 also with updated dial

eCV2r_zps4d64588a.jpg

KrQuw_zps393588c9.jpg

As far as I can tell, the chrono is beautiful with the single exception of the pearl.  It seems terribly off center.  The non-chrono version seems nice, but it has the happy feet, which I believe is incorrect on the raised logo like this one has.  It's not pictured, but I'm also not as happy with the case back on this compared to the chrono version.  However, I can get the Asian clone ETA for $70 less on this one.

I've read some reviews here and they are helpful, but I'm still unsure.  If any of you own one of these or know something about them, please let me know.  I'd also just like to hear your personal opinions too.

Thanks!

Edited by vandal.tbh

Definitely the chrono, while it's not a perfect copy, it is a good rep and light years ahead of the non chrono, the non chrono case is very off, and so is the dial. Have a look out for a gen pearl/insert for the chrono version and it then looks the business. The chrono case and dial are excellent quality although it lack gen quality lume, but not the end of the world, it still is a good rep.

Definitely the chrono, while it's not a perfect copy, it is a good rep and light years ahead of the non chrono, the non chrono case is very off, and so is the dial. Have a look out for a gen pearl/insert for the chrono version and it then looks the business. The chrono case and dial are excellent quality although it lack gen quality lume, but not the end of the world, it still is a good rep.

Thanks a lot cougar, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I was leaning toward the chrono, just needed someone to help convince me. I'm probably getting it in blue, but what do you think of the black?

Hi vandal I had the chrono from josh and with a few mods it can be an amazing rep, softening the bracelet improves hugely, and a gen bezel with the centred pearl, and I think sunny who had a batch of planet ocean double ar'd crystals which are amazing fitted may also have the crystals for this chrono .and a relume would finish this off :)

Soooo tempted to get another, only sold to fund other projects ;)

Thanks Ry, I'm just about to commit to the chrono.  I was waiting to hear if I can pick up an Orange UPO from one of the DT's.  They're telling me they've got one.  If so, I've got to pick that up and put the SMP on the back burner for a few months.  I have been wanting an SMP for years so I know it's next after the UPO.  

Thanks for the input!

Tbh the gen doesn't have very prominent AR either, it's just single inner AR which is fairly weak. So the rep isn't far off in this regard. If you can get a double AR from sunny and do some mods as ry mentions it improves the watch considerably. Atm we are sort of in no mans land as far as omega reps are concerned. Waiting for new ceramic PO's and also a new 1:1 Smp ceramic, along with new Aqua terras means the older reps lack some of the features that are expected of the latest reps. If you can hang on a few months there could be big improvements. Something completely different like a JLC Navy Seals diver or a V3 AP diver is a much better buy out of the box than the older omegas currently. Still the Smp Chrono is a good choice if you must have an smp. If you can get a UPO pick it up while you can, I'm sure there will still be a few doing the rounds for a while yet, but if factories are switching production to other projects then they may not be as widespread as they once were.

Edited by cougar1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi vandal I had the chrono from josh and with a few mods it can be an amazing rep, softening the bracelet improves hugely, and a gen bezel with the centred pearl, and I think sunny who had a batch of planet ocean double ar'd crystals which are amazing fitted may also have the crystals for this chrono .and a relume would finish this off :)

Soooo tempted to get another, only sold to fund other projects ;)

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you soften the bracelet?  :huh:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you soften the bracelet?  :huh:
Exactly what vandal said buddy, I normally soak it overnight in chain lube then work it into all the links until it loosens up then I get some scoth bright wool and smooth of any sharp edges then go over lightly with some metal polish to shine up. Works a treat and makes a huge improvement to the straps :)