When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi RWG,

I recently picked up a Planet Ocean 42mm Ultimate (OMG0154) from Andrew of Trusty Time and am currently having a bit of a conundrum. When I first received it, I loved it; it looked great and worked really well thanks to the Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement. However, I found within closer inspection a small mark on the inside of the sapphire crystal (which the QC pics didn't show); from what I can tell it seems that it was a smudge that was a result of the AR coating applied to both sides of the crystal. This didn't bother me too much since you really had to look hard to even see it and my gen SMP 300M chronometer has a small mark from dropping it on the crystal (which is also not noticeable unless you look for it).

What is really bothering me is the crown of the UPO. When I set the time initially, it took a bit to get used to the resistance of unscrewing the crown as well as screwing the crown back into the case. The other night when I finished setting the time on the UPO, I pushed in the crown and started to screw it back into the case but it pushed back out into the first position. It took a few tries and I was able to seat the crown back into the screwed down position. However, now the crown can be easily be put into the first position by touching the crown with enough force instead of unscrewing it.

Now the question is, should I take this to a jeweler to have them see if they can fix it, or should I email Trusty Time to send it back and have it fixed there, or should I just leave it be? Note, that Trusty time does not do refunds or exchanges.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading, I realize that it was a rather lengthy post.

This is a common problem with this rep.  Rymeister wrote up a really nice tutorial on replacing the crown and tube with gen parts here:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/142430-my-planet-ocean-45mm-damaged-to-franken-the-story-so-far/

I've never done it, but it seems easy and relatively cheap...

Good luck.

Ah, thank you. I'll definitely look into it.