When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5517 Vintage Patina

jackflash

My 5517 from Joshua was looking a little too clean. So I thought I'd have a go at giving it some "patina". The effect on the dial was achieved with an old tea bag, water, alcohol and a halogen lamp. I also roughed up the case, insert and nato strap too. I'm in two minds whether to tackle the pearl or not...

post-48510-0-65998300-1356608966_thumb.j

post-48510-0-59108100-1356608973_thumb.j

post-48510-0-57991100-1356608981_thumb.j

post-48510-0-29077000-1356608988_thumb.j

Edited by jackflash

Very good work!  I would maybe look to the change the entire bezel (too many minute markers in the usual spots).....other than that, pretty good as is (unless you want to mess with crown guards and crown and all that stuff).  Love the admiral grey strap....where did you get that one?

Thanks all for the encouraging feedback.  :) The pearl has now gone, it fell off naturally actually.

....Love the admiral grey strap....where did you get that one?

The Admiralty Grey strap is from "Phoenix Straps" in Cardiff, Wales. They were the original supplier of MOD G10 Nato straps. I found this one on eBay.

Also managed to bugger up the keyless works (clone 2836-2 movement), thanks to Sneed12's tutorial I managed to sort it out, all be it briefly! As I also discovered that the pivot post on the "Double Corrector Operating Lever" (bit of a mouthful) had fallen off. I've ordered a new one, also off eBay.

• 5 months later...