When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO V5 Crown And Tube Adventure..Part One

hippohippo

Hi all, new here, I normally resdie over in the Rolex area, however my better half treated me to a V5 42mm PO for Christmas.....unfortunately there are a couple of problems with it :( the first is the crown won't screw down, I'm pretty sure that this is the due to knackered threads, the second is it doesn't work, so I've ordered a new crown and tube and a new movement. While I'm waiting for these to arrive I figured I may as well get on with removing the old tube :) So here goes!

BTW this is not meant to be a tutorial, just a record of what I did and where I went wrong, or, fingers crossed...right!

The offending crown!

YY1Y1246_zps13389dd8.jpg

First job was to get the movement out of the case, this means of course undoing the back and then undoing the movement screws, of which one seems to have totally disappeared! Oh well, one less to undo!

YY1Y1247_zps89beaa35.jpg

Once they were undone it was time to remove the old crown and stem...I was far too nervous during this to take pictures!! So worried I was gonna screw this part up! Luckily, all went well and the crown and stem came out ok :) Next up the movement and retaining ring were removed and finally I could get a proper look at the job in hand.

YY1Y1251_zpsca37e898.jpgYY1Y1252_zpscf90e924.jpg
YY1Y1253_zps24e5ecaa.jpg

Now it looks to me like the rep tube may well be screwed in, judging by the thread I can see in the case, so I'll try and unscrew it first. I tapped the case up just in case I slipped, be a shame to damage my lovely PO before I've even worn it!!

YY1Y1254_zps9bff4c03.jpg

Yep sure enough it unscrews, which is a nice surprise, I think. All the reading I'd done before I started this seemed to suggest the rep tube would be a push fit. This one I just grabbed with pliers and gently unscrewed :)

YY1Y1255_zps7881dffe.jpg

And hey presto, without drama or damage, it was out!

YY1Y1256_zps281ae615.jpg

Here is the old, slightly squished tube!

YY1Y1257_zps6a3fb2ae.jpg

So all that was left to do was clean up the case threads and now sit by the front door and wait for the postman!!

Great writeup and photos hippo, always handy to have these processes as a reference. I agree that the crown/tube on PO's is weak point, you get some that are very sturdy and solid screwdown out of the box, and should last if that is the case, but it is rare. The materials used are just softer metal and any even slight crossthread will eventually cause the inevitable  A similar problem exists with the Breitling Superocean Abyss rep.

Great write up hippo, this gives me memories of when I had my first upo 45 when I came to Rwg a year ago, I had the same problems as you, threads knackered on arrival and keyless issues, also removed my case back to find only 2 movement clamp screws :D Its definitely nerve racking removing the old tube, best mod I done was fitting a genuine omega crown and tube, feels so much nicer :) If you need any help buddy give me a shout. :) Great work mate :)

• 3 weeks later...