When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica IWC Recommendation

lukebrown

Hello,

I am looking to get my first replica watch but don't know a great deal.

I was hoping for an IWC Portuguese 7414 however understand there may be issues with the movement failing.

I can not afford any expensive mods at the minute such as genuine movements etc. so was just wondering if there is any cheap ways of ensuring the watch is ok. Are there any tricks as I have read somewhere not using the chronograph may help. 

The watch is around $300 so obviously I don't want to spend that only for it to break in two weeks.

As an alternative are there any other replicas that are more recommended, I also like the Portofino 5101 range, and most of the Portuguese range such as the 5001

Any advice would be great

Thanks

I don't think avoiding the chronograph will help, the issue is with the gear train that relocates the running seconds to the 6 position. The gears are not jeweled or properly lubricated causing movement failure in a very short time. Some guys are adding a lubricant to the gears and this seams to work well but I don't know what they use (possibly a graphite lubricant?) This breakdown of the movement was done and shows that the problem was not fixed with the "new" movement. Hope this has been of some help

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/102028-a-close-inspection-to-the-new-iwc-portuguese-movement/