When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F#ck you noob! Where is the courtesy?

Rolexman

Please excuse me for my strong language but I'm getting a little bit fed up with all the noobs lately. No, not because they are new and ask questions... Because they show NO courtesy. Off course I don't want to treat all noobs alike but l get the feeling it is getting worse.

I (or other existing members) type, a sometimes extensive reply or explanation and not even a 'thanks' or 'thank you' will follow. Nothing.....

The noob just asks questions like a mad man, want to gather all the info yesterday, wants to buy a rep like he is at WalMart, complains and bitches about the smallest details, asks mechanical help when in most cases he himself messes up a movement etc. without even the smallest regard for this board and it's members.

And sometimes.... From all these noobs a valuable new member will arise who's soul purpose is not to leech this board and all it's members for what they know and have. I have seen some valuable new members the last months like MD2020 for instance and for that I applaud!

And for all you other blood sucking noobs: think about the existing members that reply to you post. Without some courtesy and good manners you probably won't get any help next time you are in need.....

• Like 14

+1 !

I had some sales going on, and guys sent me pm's like: "i want the watch".......    "Give me your PAypal!".....etc etc and when i didn't answer to this, i got a nice : "heeeeellllllooooooooo! CAN I HAVE IT OR NOT?"

Learn some manners before you speak to someone! 

• Like 2

Guest zeleni kukuruz

What shocks me is the lack of "Thank You" i hade many pm about 1675 gmt builds for example! They pm me asking all about the builds i give them all info and who to contact ect ect, after that NOT a FOCKING word!!!

This planet is all Focked up, i was reised to respect the older ones, to Always give my seat on the buss to the olders, to always help them over the street ect ect and im born 1974. But after 1994 all that whent out te window at least here in Sweden! The fockig 14-17 years old ones dosent have respect for no one!!! Its all lack of the parents raising up there kids!!! Its a focking shame!!!

This is a fair point well made by the Rolexman. A community such as this is surely defined, and ever growing through giving knowledge and time, otherwise this wonderful source wouldn't exist. You can only hope these dudes give some value back in the future, and quickly begin to understand what RWG and similar communities are all about. Plus learn some common courtesies and simple manners! Take heed!

• Like 1

Guest zeleni kukuruz
Lol ZK thought you were older! Anyway, I agree: everything is [censored] up, even at work or in the real world.

So did i my friend :)

Naaaa, fock this shiit, its all lack of parents NOT raising there kids up the right way!!! Call me old fashion but but, i would be in jail beating up kids everyday that spits and swears to older ones!!! And the so called parents just stand beside them and watch!!!

This is why I feel,even as a Noob(hopefully not too dumb of one) that there should be a time limit before one can even post on this or other sites.

You register,you get a confirmation with a statement that there's a time limit so start reading!! Then if you come on and ask a typical stupid question-POW! Flame city! And then get ignored.

Some sites have this limit,but not with the suggestion to learn first-which should be done. My .02

Maybe mention it with a pinned post in The introduction forum? I know we would all like to see people thanking without us having to tell them but we educate people here about all these beautiful reps.. Might as well educate them a bit about behaviour and manners ;-)

B.t.w. thank you

I think the problem is more extensive than Reps/Noobs/ RWG, etc. The world seems to be getting less civilized in terms of

everyday manners. I don't know exactly why, I think the explosion of Facebook & all the gadgets people have may be part of it.

I thought because I live in NYC it was mostly a geographic thing- many high powered dicks here- but I think its more widespread.

Too many self absorbed, self-entitled  a-holes  running around. I have to admit sometimes I get swept up too.

• Like 1

I think the problem is more extensive than Reps/Noobs/ RWG, etc. The world seems to be getting less civilized in terms of

everyday manners. I don't know exactly why, I think the explosion of Facebook & all the gadgets people have may be part of it.

I thought because I live in NYC it was mostly a geographic thing- many high powered dicks here- but I think its more widespread.

Too many self absorbed, self-entitled  a-holes  running around. I have to admit sometimes I get swept up too.

I agree with you, but we can't change the world from here.. but we do have influence how we communicate here on this forum.

Like I've said for many years now - "Where People Gather, Life Happens"...

Our community here is no different than real life...

The work place, the local hang out, heck - even the local church...

We've raised a generation of folks that live in a mind set of entitlement...

And that mind set is right here in our home...

Me, personally, I ignore those that have that attitude...

Not worth my time...

The good news is that our community has tons of quality peeps to make up the difference...

That's why we keep coming back :)

TT

• Like 1

It is definitely that sense of entitlement that is so prominent in todays world causing this. The past 10 or 15 years of teaching people that they must look after number 1 always has led to a bunch of ingrates and fickle, emotionless drones in all aspects of society. I think there are some great guys on the rep forums, and some great new members also, the trouble is, with the nature of this game, it is attracting over the past while large swathes of people who are approaching reps with the wrong attitude entirely....they have at times ridiculous expectations with reps, they are happy to treat the forums like they are customer support areas, and think the sales sections are like shopping on amazon.

"Could not agree more. I have answered questions and even sent a few watch parts to a few new folks. Not one "thank you" 99% of the time. How about some common courtesy/decency?"

+1

Same thing happened to me a few times. I do not mind answering a question or two but maybe a two answer limit is a good idea for noobs until they learn more.

Learn more = actually taking the time to read about the subject on various forums!  :pimp:

One thing that stands out to me (ever since the mid 1990s TZ/VRF days) is that genuine watch forums do not have much technical information (one shining exception was Walt Odets' posts on TZ) and you could find more tech stuff on TRC than most genuine watch forums of the same period. I can even remember reading a few techy type posts on RWCC. Anyone remember RWCC?

Now the TZ/TRF etc rolex forums are basically GQ for watches...can't learn much over there unless you want to read arguments about a 'Mk I' dial of some sort or a guy's new submareener bezel insert being .1mm off at 12 high (disregarding parallax). On the lighter side...it looks like TZ patek philippe guys will never understand that a pp is just a 'highly rated' ($$$!!) average watch with a very fancy (and fragile) movement.

Imho for a classic time only watch (no calatrava for me!), a solid gold square or rectangular USA Hamilton beats them all. I must call them 'one drops' though...one drop of water or one drop on the floor and it's amf.

Likewise, I don't mind answering questions or helping others where I can, but when someone sends a message asking something, and hasn't even got the common courtesy to follow up a reply with a quick "thanks", yeah, it's pretty weak...  :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Hi all ....a very nooby noob here ...as all people are not alike, so too with noobs...

A very big hug to you all and thanks for a great friendly forum!

Cheers and thanks

Winno

• Like 1

I'm late to the party, (sick as hell, flu... Again) Thanks for the kind words Rolexman. My uncle always told me if you want to learn something keep quiet and listen, watch and read, and only ask questions once you have done some research. We were all Noobs at one time but come on read alittle instead of wanting answers handed to you on a plate.

Hope you feel better soon. My wife has it (the flu!!) as well. She had a friend visiting from Europe over the holidays, and she arrived sick, recovering from the flu as well. I got a flu shot at the hospital where I practice, so, knock on wood, so far I'm OK.

good advice, my grandfather put it a lot more bluntly. "Son, keep your mouth shut and your ears open, and maybe you'll learn something"

Now to the subject. What i see are a generation, or maybe two that have this sense of entitlement that defies reason. i see young folks entering the work force with the idea that regular tasks are beneath their dignity, they think that they should transition from training into a management position immediately. No matter where they think they should be position wise, none of them are willing to take responsibility for their actions. If something bad happens, it's always someone else's fault!!  Another thing, which I find especially distressing is the lack of common courtesy.  I live in the deep south, where in the past, folks have been polite to a fault. Not anymore. the level of insolence and discourteous behavior is appalling. they are like this in their everyday life, why should they be any different here on the forum? If you never say please or thank you, open a door for and elderly lady, scoff at everyone older than you, you will not change your behavior just because you are here.

I will be more than happy to share my meager knowledge base with anyone here, but if I'm not acknowledged, or at least thanked for my time and effort, I can promise you my memory is long, and my forgiveness will not be forthcoming for a long, long time. :nono:

I have seen in the past few months a huge influx of new members, some are great folks and a true asset to the forum, but unfortunately, there is a big segment who I really don't believe have any true interest in watches or reps in general. I believe that this segment of the population is here for one reason and one reason only, milk the knowledge cow dry, and then use that to buy a couple of watches and then, poof they are gone!!

• Like 2

To all these crazy questions Noobs ask and crazy answers they recieve I think gmtluver and I have a solution. Keep your eyes peeled for a RWG repair and tutorial app. I'll be contacting mods sortly and also some of the repair guys, (this means u Rolexman). This is that'll in the beginning phases but this is going to be great. Keep your eyes open for it.

GMTlover... ;)