When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best place to buy a Genuine ROO

jtushman

Hi Guys,

First time poster.

I am looking to get a Genuine ROO.  Leaning towards the Rubberclad, but also considering this Themes (black dial, steel bezel)

A few questions for you guys.  Where do you think the best place to buy new or used online.  I want to ensure that I am getting a genuine product.

And I know its a matter of opinion, but what are your thoughts on the rubber bezel vs. the steel bezel.  I love the rubber right now -- but worry its just trendy while the steel might be more timeless.

Thanks for the advice!

I would try to buy used in my area if possible. That way you can pick it up. You can look on TImeZone, Watchnet, Chrono24, potentially the AP gen forums from a notable participant and even Ebay or Craigslist provided you pick it up (or someone you trust does).  Otherwise there are reputable sellers of used pieces on the internet who will implicitly guarantee genuine in case you find there is something wrong. But for this price I would prefer to pick-up myself.

So, imagine that poor fella (whoever he is who won the auction) parts with US$12,0000 of his hard earned money thinking he got a good deal. And then a few months or years down the road realizes that he had bought a bad, poorly made fake when he brings it to AP for servicing, or when he gathers more knowledge about AP.....

Try to find a reseller in your area, inspecting it is what you want imo. Otherwise, it ain't bad to travel a few miles or take a plane if you're spending that much. In that way you're certain. Face to face deals are what I prefer. Otherwise, use the websites as Watchmeister proposed. Also take a look on thepurists.com, check out the history of the seller and share pics here if you're on the fence for one. Lot's of knowledge and helpful people overhere.

Good luck mate! Choose wisely!

• Like 1

So, imagine that poor fella (whoever he is who won the auction) parts with US$12,0000 of his hard earned money thinking he got a good deal. And then a few months or years down the road realizes that he had bought a bad, poorly made fake when he brings it to AP for servicing, or when he gathers more knowledge about AP.....

Yeah.. It even says QUARTZ on the back of the caseback. LOL But it saves the problem of the thickness of movement :p

Hopefully its still in 1 - 3 months so he could refund on ebay based on counterfeit products 

So, imagine that poor fella (whoever he is who won the auction) parts with US$12,0000 of his hard earned money thinking he got a good deal. And then a few months or years down the road realizes that he had bought a bad, poorly made fake when he brings it to AP for servicing, or when he gathers more knowledge about AP..... Yeah.. It even says QUARTZ on the back of the caseback. LOL But it saves the problem of the thickness of movement :p Hopefully its still in 1 - 3 months so he could refund on ebay based on counterfeit products
Well if someone buys a $12k luxury automatic watch and doesn't know the difference between a quartz and automatic mov't, and the tick-tick-tick doesn't give it away as a fake once received, then I would just chalk it up as a stupidity tax. ;)

Try to find a reseller in your area, inspecting it is what you want imo. Otherwise, it ain't bad to travel a few miles or take a plane if you're spending that much. In that way you're certain. Face to face deals are what I prefer. Otherwise, use the websites as Watchmeister proposed. Also take a look on thepurists.com, check out the history of the seller and share pics here if you're on the fence for one. Lot's of knowledge and helpful people overhere.

Good luck mate! Choose wisely!

You guys are great -- really helpful (thats why I posted here vs a gen forum).

I am based in Boston but often in LA if you guys know good people there.

On eBay there are a couple of listings that currently have my eye (I currently can not link so here are the text links):

New Rubberclad:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/360555620227

Used Themes:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/160944603529

Does these look legit to you guys?

Thanks a lot everyone for your comments!

Both look legit, first seller has much more feedback. 2nd seller not enough imo. Also the 2nd piece, the black themes is an F series, try to get a G or H series. And I have to agree with Tonyyammine, as said before, a cheap flight is worth it if you're spending this much.

Essential Watches is in Beverly Hills.

• Like 1

In LA: If you want brand new and definitely want genuine go to Westime on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. ....Also have done business with Fred Brown at Essential Watches in Beverly Hills.  He has new and pre-owned pieces and great guy to deal with....and I agree with all the guys here, if you want to spend over $10K face to face transaction only. 

If your gonna spend 15-20k on a watch, wouldnt you like to hold it in your hands? I paid 10k for my daytona and i took a cheap flight from ny to atlanta georgia for it. Worth the money for me.

Yup.  When I decided to buy a gen JLC, I e-mailed ADs in the Carib, agreed on the best price, hopped on a plane and let the savings on the watch pay for my trip.  Not always feasible, I know, but in my case it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

In LA: If you want brand new and definitely want genuine go to Westime on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. ....Also have done business with Fred Brown at Essential Watches in Beverly Hills.  He has new and pre-owned pieces and great guy to deal with....and I agree with all the guys here, if you want to spend over $10K face to face transaction only. 

Been to both & have bought watches at both places.  Excellent boutiques.  I also frequent the Westime at the Westside Pavillion in West L.A. (huge showroom).  Customer service is terrific at all 3 spots.