When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Busted and Badly set wrist. Anyone else?

fraggle42

Back in 2001 I had a huge motorbike accident, 55mph crash which threw me into a car, bounced off it and then landed 40 yards further on in the mud on my knee. Smashed leg and smashed left wrist. Aside from the continual leg problems, the wrist didn't set properly. It's dropped down, by which I mean if I hold it out "straight" rather than the hand being in line with the arm, it's about 1cm lower than where it should be. Which does mean wearing a watch on that wrist can quickly get painful, so I've got all my straps set to be very loose. And so I'm unconsciously holding my wrist up and shaking it to get the watch back to where it should be. A friend at work said to me one day "Showing off a new watch?", so I had to laugh and explain :) Got to laugh or cry haven't you? Anyone else got similarly mangled limbs? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like whoever set your wrist didn't do a very good job. that as described is a "Colle" fracture" lots of these with folks who fall and land on their hand with their palm down and extended. See it in kids who land on their hands in playground accidents. Maybe you need to see another orthopedic surgeon. It may take an operation to fix, but you should end up with a straight wrist.

• Like 1

I wear mine on my right hand and I love it! Try it for a week and you will thank me! I also ride, totaled a cruiser in 05 and banged my knee up bad. Just bought my Diavel in Sep Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Nice bike. I've still got three, ZX10R, Tenere and a KTM 400 EXC. Don't get used much nowadays though. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like whoever set your wrist didn't do a very good job. that as described is a "Colle" fracture" lots of these with folks who fall and land on their hand with their palm down and extended. See it in kids who land on their hands in playground accidents. Maybe you need to see another orthopedic surgeon. It may take an operation to fix, but you should end up with a straight wrist.
From what I can remember it snapped a large lump off the end of the radius bone with the break going almost vertically along the bone, so there's only half the face of the joint there. They put a plate to try to pin the fragment back into place bit it healed in the wrong place, dropped back and down. Whilst it was healing I had a more pressing matter, trying not to lose my leg (it took 4.5 years and 7 ops to get it to heal-ish), so it was forgotten about really for 5 years. I have been offered an op to fuze the wrist but the consultants don't like explaining exactly what is meant by that (I now know of course, but the fact they are reluctant to explain it doesn't fill me with confidence about the op!!) Haven't looked into trying to get it rebroken and reset correctly, I imagine it'll still have arthritis problems and occasional pain if that was done, but better than it is now I'm guessing? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have found over 35 years of Anesthesia, and dealing with lots and lots of surgeons along the way, they fall into two rough categories, the first and absolutely the best are the ones that try to involve the patient in every phase of the process, carefully explaining, charts, photos, diagrams, models, whatever it takes to get the idea across. Most of these guys are very candid about results. If they feel like you have a 30% chance of getting complete relief of your problem, and a 70% chance of partial but significant relief, they will tell you. the other ones which tend to be more of the "Old School" physicians are the ones that think that they know everything, the patient really doesn't know or understand what they are talking about, so their attitude is, "I know best, don't question my judgment or ability". Believe me, those are the hardest to work with because they all have varying degrees of the "God Syndrome". There is not much place in todays medicine for those guys/gals, but there are still a fair number of them around. I'm not sure how much freedom of choice you have in picking another orthopedic surgeon, but if you have a choice, i would at some point seek another opinion.

If you get a second opinion, I would ask "what are the consequences of a wrist fusion, how will it affect my mobility, use of my hand, etc." Basically if your wrist is fused, you will not have any motion in your wrist. your arm will be straight, but for all practical purposes, your wrist will be frozen. you may have rotational movement, but probably no up and down. Not knowing anything more, I don't know how much motion you have now. Fusing may decrease the pain, and you can wear you watch on the correct arm!!

by the way, I used to ride. i had a BMW GS 1150 about 8-9 years ago. Rode the heck out of it, but I got to the point I was getting scared, not of my ability, but the other driver. We have way too many "Soccer Moms" around here. they drive, text, talk on their cell, apply makeup, eat a burger, all the while totally oblivious to their surroundings. Those are the ones that will kill you!! "Officer, I never saw that motorcycle when I turned left, until the guy came through my passenger side window. How am I going to get all that blood off my leather upholstery"!!

I have found over 35 years of Anesthesia, and dealing with lots and lots of surgeons along the way, they fall into two rough categories, the first and absolutely the best are the ones that try to involve the patient in every phase of the process, carefully explaining, charts, photos, diagrams, models, whatever it takes to get the idea across. Most of these guys are very candid about results. If they feel like you have a 30% chance of getting complete relief of your problem, and a 70% chance of partial but significant relief, they will tell you. the other ones which tend to be more of the "Old School" physicians are the ones that think that they know everything, the patient really doesn't know or understand what they are talking about, so their attitude is, "I know best, don't question my judgment or ability". Believe me, those are the hardest to work with because they all have varying degrees of the "God Syndrome". There is not much place in todays medicine for those guys/gals, but there are still a fair number of them around. I'm not sure how much freedom of choice you have in picking another orthopedic surgeon, but if you have a choice, i would at some point seek another opinion.

Couldn't agree more. The consultant who saved my leg was the former, as was the guy who put the artificial knee in.

The one who I "talked" to about the wrist was definitely the latter, just expected me to completely trust his decisions on everything as he knew best. I wouldn't let one of them work on me under any circumstances!

If you get a second opinion, I would ask "what are the consequences of a wrist fusion, how will it affect my mobility, use of my hand, etc." Basically if your wrist is fused, you will not have any motion in your wrist. your arm will be straight, but for all practical purposes, your wrist will be frozen. you may have rotational movement, but probably no up and down. Not knowing anything more, I don't know how much motion you have now. Fusing may decrease the pain, and you can wear you watch on the correct arm!!

I currently have quite good motion, upward flex is about 45 degrees, downward is about 60 degrees, left and right about half my good wrist. Carrying weights or pushing weights inflames it quickly. My job is a software engineer so desk bound typing most of the day, which I can do no problems.

One of the big things putting me off getting it fuzed is I wouldn't be able to ride a bike anymore. Even just turning the bars left or right when you're doing slow manouvres or paddling the bike around in the car park would be damn difficult. Sports bikes where the wrist needs to be bent most of the time would be completely out. Of course on a sports bike, braking hard puts a lot of weight through your arms and wrists and that hurts a lot too, as I found out last year on a holiday round France, Spain and Italy. Had to slow down a lot and let my mates vanish off at their normal pace. Still enjoyed it though!

One of the things I remember reading about is a partial wrist fuze, where they only fuze the first row of wrist bones. Depending on the injury, it gives you the benefits and still allows some wrist movement, but I've no idea how much.

by the way, I used to ride. i had a BMW GS 1150 about 8-9 years ago. Rode the heck out of it, but I got to the point I was getting scared, not of my ability, but the other driver. We have way too many "Soccer Moms" around here. they drive, text, talk on their cell, apply makeup, eat a burger, all the while totally oblivious to their surroundings. Those are the ones that will kill you!! "Officer, I never saw that motorcycle when I turned left, until the guy came through my passenger side window. How am I going to get all that blood off my leather upholstery"!!

Heh, true. There's a lot of blind people driving cars / 4x4s. Developing a spidey sense for idiots about to do something takes a while but is a life saver :)

fraggle , was hit by a train in a 79  Datsun 280 ZX back in 82, I feel your pain! All good, fathered three kids but my back is shot, OH well should be dead anyway.

Seriously, major ouch! Blimey. What speed was the train doing?

Coming out of that with a shot back is a lot better than any number of outcomes that could have been a lot worse.

I guess you'll be like me then, a life of pain killers, arguing with the doctors at the drug review as they're always trying to cut them down, not believing anyone is actually in pain nowadays!

" Seriously, major ouch! Blimey. What speed was the train doing?"

Just 35MPH but like 2 miles long freight train tons and tons of weight took a couple of miles to stop with me and my car on the front!

PS I am in USA so I do not have to beg doctors for anything. Yea gov health care not for us , I hope!

Back in 2001 I had a huge motorbike accident, 55mph crash which threw me into a car, bounced off it and then landed 40 yards further on in the mud on my knee. Smashed leg and smashed left wrist. Aside from the continual leg problems, the wrist didn't set properly. It's dropped down, by which I mean if I hold it out "straight" rather than the hand being in line with the arm, it's about 1cm lower than where it should be. Which does mean wearing a watch on that wrist can quickly get painful, so I've got all my straps set to be very loose. And so I'm unconsciously holding my wrist up and shaking it to get the watch back to where it should be. A friend at work said to me one day "Showing off a new watch?", so I had to laugh and explain :) Got to laugh or cry haven't you? Anyone else got similarly mangled limbs? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I was about 12-13, I badly damaged my right ankle skate boarding.  I didn't actually break any bones, but there was a lot of tendon damage, and the doctor said that it was a miracle that the bones hadn't broken...  As a result, my right foot is rotated a few degrees clockwise further off centre line than the left one is rotated counter-clockwise.  Only really noticeable if I have my knees facing absolutely straight forward, and if I try and sleep on my right side, the pressure makes the ankle hurt.  In clock terms, rather than Five past Eleven, they are at Ten past Eleven :bangin:

In other news, when my best friend was about 10, he went over the handlebars of his bike and snapped both wrists.  He had his arms suspended in a round the neck sling which made him look like a marionette, and even now, his wrists are quite narrow :bangin: