When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Navy Seals Automatic Diver

Stephane

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Navy Seals Automatic Diver: The so called Noob Factory version.

Introduction.

Since you guys were showing yours, I discovered that I wanted one too J

At least, give it a try.
I’m a fan of Jaeger LeCoultre but certainly not of their super mega diver compressors!

None of the recent JLC suits my tastes, they all look like “m’as tu vu”/”Bling bling”/Show off”.

This one, I must admit, looks like a “Super Submariner” so why not?

:g:

As it seems that all dealers sell the same version, I went to Andrew (Trusty) to order one.

(More on the deal later)

JlcNavGen_05.jpg

JlcNavGen_04.jpg

The above photos are from a genuine Navy Seals.

The watch.

Here is a description of the genuine one:

-Brushed stainless steel case

-42 mm.

-22mm lugs
-Case thickness is 12.9mm.
-Mixed polished and brushed caseback secured by four small screws with the U.S. Navy Seals logo.
-Limited Edition serial number xxxx/1500 is engraved on the caseback. 
-The sapphire crystal is doomed, but only a bit.
-Quickset date at 3 o’Clock.
-Screw lock crown. White when locked, Red when unlocked.
-The black dial has raised markers.

-Lume is blue on the dial, green on the bezel.
-60 click (only?) unidirectional grey ceramic bezel

-Originaly it’s the JLC Caliber 899 automatic movement powering this watch (over 200 parts!).

Another genuine Navy Seals picture

JlcNavGen_05.jpg

The Noob version does very well replicate the genuine one.
Mine is precisely 42 mm without the crown and has 22 mm between the lugs.
The case is 9 mm without bezel and crystal, 13 mm with both.

The design.

Jaeger LeCoultre declares that they were consulting with the Navy to come with the design.

Ok, I can accept that, but I’m not sure I can understand why the Navy guys would ask for BIG digits at 12, 6 and 9 and not at 3!
The first reaction when receiving the watch was “something is no right”.
The fact that those digits are so big and that there is no “3” make it look like something is missing.

I personally prefer to have a date of course.

Wouldn’t it be more “balanced” to put the date window at 4 and add a “big 3”?

I’m in favor of that option. 

:clap2:

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_09.jpg

The Case.
The watch is 42 mm. It’s quite “big” too. But I must say it is not wearing anywhere like a 42 mm.
It feels like a supersized 40 mm. I mean it is not a large watch when on the wrist.

It is brushed and look very nice. Brushing the case is a great idea as it avoids to see all those tiny scratches from wear.

:notworthy:

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_07.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_07B.jpg

The Dial.

Well, again, it’s very easy to read but unbalanced.

The missing 3 bothers me a lot.

The fact that indices are raised is cool though as it makes the watch easy to read and so far I didn’t have to look twice to see what time it is. Oops, well maybe the hands should be a bit fatter? Yes they should.
The date window is easily spotted but the date is a bit small, or not fat enough, to be read at once though.

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_04.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_11.jpg

The Lume.
That is bothering me a bit: the lume of the watch is blue and the one of the bezel at 12 is green ??!!
In my opinion, this is really tasteless.

On the replication, the lume is very average. As usual, if you want to take full advantage of it, it should be relumed. I will go that route in case I want to keep the watch.

Gime some green  :angry2:

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_15.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_18.jpg

The bracelet, caseback and clasp.

The Noob version comes with a “rubber Rolex type” bracelet. It has links with screws which is quite nice, but unfortunately no “half sized” links.

EDIT: Thanks to Cougar1, there is a micro adjustment right in the clasp!

Once again, I didn’t check the genuine rubber bracelet but I doubt it will capture as much dust in the first 24 hours.
I like it, but it is quite dirty if looked closer.

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_14.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_12.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_26.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_25.jpg

The movement

Inside the watch, it's a Asian 2824-2 clone.

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_24.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_21.jpg

Accurate or not? Bugs?

Hard to compare from pictures only of course.
I did never see a gen in the flesh.
But this is what I discovered so far:

-Engraving of bezel not deep enough

-Engraving of 45 on Bezel to close to crystal compared to 15 and 30.

-Screws of the rubber bracelet aren’t always so easy to remove and the three first ones starting from the lugs are fake.
-Also, but that is a JLC thing not a Noob factory one, there are no ways to fine tune the length of the bracelet. In my case or it is to tight or to loose.

EDIT: Thanks to Cougar1, there is a micro adjustment right in the clasp! So now it fits perfectly my wrist!

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_10.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_10B.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_11.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_11B.jpg

My feelings

I like the brand. :yeah: 
I like the watch.  :yu:

But, once again, I am a bit frustrated to see Jaeger LeCoultre make new “trendy” models without considering the project as a global one.
Creating specific models for specific army corps is one thing.
Trying to create the “perfect sub” is another.

My conclusion is that the Rolex Submariner has a brilliant future for many decades more as they had for the past decades.
If Jaeger LeCoultre wants to compete then they should think “Mainstream”.
The Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Navy Seals Automatic Diver is a perfect super sub wanabee but for now it looks like having been punished by removing the “3”!

The deal

I have ordered the watch with Andrew at Trusty.
The order was place on December 28th, the QC pics were received on December 30th and the watch, although with transit in the UK, on January 11th.

I know there have been a lot of debates and threads about cartel and so on.
But, I always said I prefer professionals and since I came to this community, even if I bought a lot from members, each time I bought from Andrew was top notch.

Here is one of the QC pic and the watch when I unpacked it

JlcNavySeals_Noob_00_QC.jpg

All this in 14 days, no risks, and for an accurate watch.

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_00Arrival-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and reading.

Cheers

Stephane

• Like 1

Great review Stephane, it's a great watch, that number 3 is really bothering you :D

Also the bracelet does have a good fast micro adjust at the clasp, very good in fact, one of the best I've seen, just pull evenly and rotate the link inward or outward depending on which tighness or loosenness you want. I'm sure you've seen it but can't see it mentioned in the review.

Awesome review of a beaut piece, cougar your right on the micro adjustment, mine was the same as Stephane too tight or too loose till i found it ! :huh:  I think the piece wears really comfy on the wrist and is even better now on new Black Shark from donerix.................now the 3 is bugging me though  :inverted:  Good on ya Stephane for sharing, I wish I could take pics that good  :notworthy:

Great review Stephane!

I love my JLC and it gets the most wrist time of all my watches. And its starting to show.. :S

:1a:

Thanks! 

Yes I suspect that this watch will be looking worn very fast  :huh:

Great review Stephane, it's a great watch, that number 3 is really bothering you :D

Also the bracelet does have a good fast micro adjust at the clasp, very good in fact, one of the best I've seen, just pull evenly and rotate the link inward or outward depending on which tighness or loosenness you want. I'm sure you've seen it but can't see it mentioned in the review.

Oh, well thanks a lot!

As a matter of fact I didn't realize that at all!

Brilliant  ;)

Awesome review of a beaut piece, cougar your right on the micro adjustment, mine was the same as Stephane too tight or too loose till i found it ! :huh:  I think the piece wears really comfy on the wrist and is even better now on new Black Shark from donerix.................now the 3 is bugging me though  :inverted:  Good on ya Stephane for sharing, I wish I could take pics that good  :notworthy:

Well, I know I'm a little passionate with my favorite brands !

So, yes, the "3" bothers me and yes JLC should try a version with a "3"!!!  :partytime:

No prob, I wasn't sure if you had seen it, it's well hidden in the clasp link construction. I didn't relise it was there either until it was pointed out to me :) It's great at the end of the day or on a hot day and you just need that little bit extra for wrist expansion. I think each side is a half link or thereabouts. I do wonder though how durable that little feature will be over time and with a lot of use.

Also my screws are a little loose lately so I think some threadlocker is in order on those. It's a great rep overall, I would've liked the AR to be a little better but I've never seen the gen so I'm not sure if they were going for accuracy, but it is weak, it could be a little more transparent.

No prob, I wasn't sure if you had seen it, it's well hidden in the clasp link construction. I didn't relise it was there either until it was pointed out to me :) It's great at the end of the day or on a hot day and you just need that little bit extra for wrist expansion. I think each side is a half link or thereabouts. I do wonder though how durable that little feature will be over time and with a lot of use.

Also my screws are a little loose lately so I think some threadlocker is in order on those. It's a great rep overall, I would've liked the AR to be a little better but I've never seen the gen so I'm not sure if they were going for accuracy, but it is weak, it could be a little more transparent.

Yes, I agree about "how durable"...not only for the micro adjustment, for the entire bracelet as those screws are indeed loose.

1 of them on mine is already unscrewed in matter of hours.

All in this watch is in my top 10 at the moment.

As for the replication, from what I see on the photos of gens, it is very accurate.

Of course, we still have the usual "issues" like AR, Lume or bracelet, but at that price we can't expect the quality of a watch 20 times more expensive.

In the end we're luck to be able to wear them all!

By the way, has anybody open the watch yet to see what was the movement in it?

It's supposed to be a clone 2824 in mine ...and it is!

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_24.jpg

JlcNavySeals_Noob_800_21.jpg

Little update here...

After one week wearing the watch I am very surprised but the good time keeping of this 2824-2 clone.

Currently, without adjusting the time for a week, it's running 9 seconds faster  :g:

It's quite a surprise because I read some very bad experiences with these clone movements.

Prior to receive it, I contacted my dear friend Andy to ask him to put my gen ETA 2824-2 into this watch.
Well, I don't see the point at all now! 

• Like 1

As long as the clone is clean and oiled they perform very well compared to the "Gen" swiss ;) I see no reason to opt for the more expensive option anymore myself.

As long as the clone is clean and oiled they perform very well compared to the "Gen" swiss ;) I see no reason to opt for the more expensive option anymore myself.

So, it seems we are in agrement  ;)

At the end of the day, a watch is supposed to give time.

And whatever beats in there, as long as the time is correct, no reason to become a purist and only go for Swiss  B)

I opted for the Swiss Selita SW200. I believe its worth it and gives the watch that little extra special something. I always go for Swiss if its available. With the Asian clone movements its always a gamble, with Swiss the quality is there for sure. Neither is right or wrong...just personal preference :inverted: BTW I LOVE MY JLC NSD! SUPER REP! :clap2:

I opted for the Swiss Selita SW200. I believe its worth it and gives the watch that little extra special something. I always go for Swiss if its available. With the Asian clone movements its always a gamble, with Swiss the quality is there for sure. Neither is right or wrong...just personal preference :inverted: BTW I LOVE MY JLC NSD! SUPER REP! :clap2:

Oh, you're right. Swiss is an extra little something.

I will keep a close eye on the clone and if it runs bad I will put me Eta in there ;-)

But for now, it's just fine.

Hi guys, I always love this watch and bought one some weeks ago (used, but in good condition). But now there is a problem with the movement ( I suppose it's an Asian clone). The watch stops from time to time and there is no powerreserve. The seconds hand always stops when reaching the "3". Any idea? I thought about a repair or exchanging the Asian clone for a Swiss Eta 2824 or Selitta SW200. Is the exchange of the movement generally possible (I a total non-professional :g: ). Thanks in advance for your support!

Well, I guess it might happen to me too then :(

IMHO buying reps with Asian Clone movements is like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. But when the genuine ETA is installed the watch is made for eternity (at least I hope so :inverted: ). So fingers cross that your movement runs fine!

IMHO buying reps with Asian Clone movements is like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. But when the genuine ETA is installed the watch is made for eternity (at least I hope so :inverted: ). So fingers cross that your movement runs fine!

Thanks a lot ! I keep them crossed too ;)

• 9 months later...

ETA 2824- 2 I guess, but I'm not certain. Anybody else?

i know thread is old.. but may i ask, what eta movt can be used for this watch?

My example was listed as 2836, but when I ran into problems weeks into ownership. The movement markings said 2824. So not sure why.

Sent from my GT-p6800 using Tapatalk