When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex Dial Interest

whoopy12

Still looking for blanks. Again, if anyone can point me to a supplier that fits my needs...maybe I'll throw them a free dial ;)

Also started the manhunt for a factory that can print on stainless steel 0.07mm thick (for the vintage date wheel overlays) which is proving to be a headache. I have a feeling the date wheel overlays will be more expensive to produce than originally anticipated :(

If I can't perfect a stainless steel overlay, would anyone be interested in a paper version?

I'm currently tinkering with a vector created by rolojack, but am having some problems with it - might need to start from scratch with this one.   Enjoy my last sarcastic smiley  :punk:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a member over on RWI that has experimented with something similar to your idea of paper OL's but he uses water-slide decals for his.

At least that's what I've heard...I've never actually seen one...or even seen pics of one posted.

Considering the fact that rep Factories have been  spitting out DW's and OL's for decades now and still haven't gotten them "perfect" as of yet,  I'd say do what's necessary to have them done right...and on the SS Blank.

(built it and they will come.)

While a paper OL may very well work great (and look good too) going that route is merely a "temporary sollution".

Why not go with something nobody else seems to have available at rhe moment. :king:

Having alot of interest in them here is one thing

but produce something (dials, DW's and OL's) that's accurate looking enough to use in a gen and that takes it an entirely different level...for the better. :) 

Edited by correctime

• 2 weeks later...

BIG BIG BIG update! :D

In custom vintage dial news:

I've finally managed to source custom-made 26mm dials that fit the eta 2836. The first run of dials will be a no-date dial of your (the fine people at rwg) choosing.

At this juncture, before I begin making custom plates (for the pad printing), I'm looking for a dial that 5 or more people will purchase. If I can get a 'pre-order' of 5 or more of one dial, then I can begin working on the vector file.    

In silver vintage date wheel overlay news:

Just produced the first prototype! This baby is 0.07mm thick stainless steel ;)

It still needs some adjustments (I want every number to be perfectly centered), but it's coming along swimmingly.

I plan on releasing both silver and white overlays. 

Pm me (or post here) for questions/concerns/comments/suggestions for this project

-whoop

post-43094-0-65990500-1360803978_thumb.p

post-43094-0-43933300-1360803988_thumb.p

post-43094-0-42656200-1360803999_thumb.p

I'm no expert on what is currently available but I'd be interested in a nice vintage 1016 dial for starters, also the datewheels, are they to be used in conjunction with the datewheel that is already on the movement (ie glued on top) or are they a straight swap for the eta supplied wheel? Either way I'd like 5 (assuming they are within my price range!) Brilliant news by the way, keep up the good work.

Whoopy, I've had some success fabricating blanks from sheet brass w/ a fly cutter & drill press. I know finding quanity in proper size on a custom basis should not be that tuff, soldering feet is another matter. I've made a few paper transfer dials w/ good success & cutting perfect circles w/ a blade installed compass is a breeze. I believe that a red 1680 dial w/ have the biggest audience...I'll watch your progress w/ much interest....mcotter

BIG BIG BIG update! :D

In custom vintage dial news:

At this juncture, before I begin making custom plates (for the pad printing), I'm looking for a dial that 5 or more people will purchase. If I can get a 'pre-order' of 5 or more of one dial, then I can begin working on the vector file.    

Whoopy, if you just need 5 dials pre-ordered just make a perfect 5514 comex and I'll take myself those 5 dials... ;)

• Like 1

After further talks with my dialmaker, I've come to the conclusion that I will be able to release both non-date and date dials.

That being said, the roster of dials I will begin to produce are as follows:

No-date:

-Rolex 1016

-Rolex 5513

-Rolex Comex 5514 (torresp, you won me over) 

Date:

-Rolex 1665 drsd MK II

-Rolex 1680 red MK III

Several withstanding factors depend on the cost per dial, but it will DEFINITELY be in the sub $200 range.

I also plan on adding dial finishing options including (but not limited to): cracklature and tropical finish.

• Like 1

After further talks with my dialmaker, I've come to the conclusion that I will be able to release both non-date and date dials.

That being said, the roster of dials I will begin to produce are as follows:

No-date:

-Rolex 1016

-Rolex 5513

-Rolex Comex 5514 (torresp, you won me over) 

Date:

-Rolex 1665 drsd MK II

-Rolex 1680 red MK III

Several withstanding factors depend on the cost per dial, but it will DEFINITELY be in the sub $200 range.

I also plan on adding dial finishing options including (but not limited to): cracklature and tropical finish.

Sounds great, like the idea of a tropical 5513. Keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

All of the artwork is finished. I added 3 more dials to the lineup, so the list has been expanded to:

No-date:

-Rolex 1016

-Rolex 5513

-Rolex Comex 5514 

-Rolex 5517 Military 

-Rolex 6538 "Bond" Gilt        - Attached a little preview :D

Date:

-Rolex 1665 drsd MK II

-Rolex 1680 red MK III

-Rolex 1680 white sub

I begin the printing process this week, and will receive my dial blanks in the next 3 weeks.

I need some input on the 1016 Explorer dial, as Ingod, Phong, NDT, all have different dial sizes. For those interested in a 1016 dial, what size would be best? 28mm (gen spec), 29mm, or 26.5mm?

- Whoop

post-43094-0-57287400-1364155196_thumb.p

Edited by whoopy12

These look great. I hope that your limited run will only be until you sell out then reprint.<br /><br />Are you able to print any Tudor dials? Would love a snowflake and Tudor sub dial.<br /><br />Thanks for this project and I look forward to one of those 1680 dials.<br /><br />Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />