When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay: Reflections and Comparisons

calatrava

Revolution Magazine has decided to honor the Tudor Heritage Black Bay with Best Watch Design, and the Tudor Pelagos with Ultimate Value in the 2012 Revolution Awards.

black_bay.png
pelagos.png

Both watches are made exceptionally well, with very precise bezel actions, and very well made bracelets. In general, the fit and finish on both watches is very good. The ceramic bezel with lume infused markers on the Pelagos is a very nice touch, as is the innovative clasp that allows for tool-free micro-adjustments (like a Glidelock clasp) together with a spring loaded mode that automatically adjusts to changes in the thickness of your wet suit due to changes in depth. On the Black Bay, the clasp lacks the tool-free micro-adjustments, but uses the more traditional spring bar based system that is seen on the older Submariners. The clasp uses spring loaded ceramic ball bearings to secure the latches, which is very secure, yet very smooth in its operation.

Having said this, these are two very different watches. The Pelagos is quite possibility the ultimate value in serious no-nonsense dive watches, and everything about it, from the matte finishing on the bracelet and case, matte dial, luminous bezel and large hour markers and snowflake hands, and the innovative clasp, are designed with a diver in mind. It is however extremely understated, and if you're looking for a bit of bling and flash in your tool watches, then you might be rather disappointed. Some people have commented that the watch doesn't look expensive, but I think that reflects the design choices that focus on a no compromise tool watch (without shiny and polished parts), and does not reflect on the quality of execution. There is a nice discussion of the Pelagos, with some nice photos here:

The Black Bay is an attempt to evoke the feel of a vintage watch, but in a modern sized watch, with modern levels of quality construction and execution. I think collectors of vintage watches might be turned off by the faux vintage elements, like the burgundy bezel (intended to evoke the look of a faded bezel), rose gold surrounds on the hands and markers (intended to simulate patina), and the distressed leather strap. For me, I like the idea of a modern watch with a vintage feel, and a splash of color that gives it a rather unique character. I should note that even though the Black Bay uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, Tudor has modified it so that it is missing the middle stop that adjusts the date, since the watch does not feature a date. More generally, Tudor modifies their top grade ETA 2824-2 movements to replace the shock absorption with KIF, and the regulator with a Triovis fine-adjustment regulator. There's a nice review of the Black Bay:

At the end of the day, I decided to keep the Black Bay because it's a fun watch that was relatively affordable for a watch with an excellent level of fit and finish, whereas the Pelagos was much too serious a dive watch that didn't fit well with my lifestyle.

DSC01125.jpg
DSC01132.jpg
DSC01131.jpg
DSC01133.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg

DSC01389.jpg
DSC01395.jpg

And now for some comparisons of the Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay with some Rolex watches.

The Black Bay compared to the Rolex Ceramic Submariner 114060
DSC01416.jpg

The Pelagos compared with the SD and DSSD

The photos from that thread for those who aren't TRF members.

IMG_3989.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_4005.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg

This is a photo comparing the Pelagos and BB, so you might place the above thread in context.

DSC01569.jpg

Some other photo comparisons I found:

Compared to a GMT IIC
BB_GMTIIC_02_zps5af26ade.jpg
BB_GMTIIC_04_zpsc777ab2f.jpg
BB_GMTIIC_01_zpsbb568489.jpg

The BB on the different strap options
Tudor+Black+Bay+Trio+%25281%2529.jpg