When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen or Rep?

kingkaiser

Guys, wanted your feedback on this watch. It's being offered for sale, with box and warranty sheet, local seller. Seems gen to me, but would love to get the views of more educated members than myself.

17498111_CP_photo.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image.jpg

Any input would be appreciated (and might save me from forking out $9k for a rep!)

The pics are not very clear first and foremost. Also, the pearl looks suspect so I would certainly be careful. 

Also, I would ask the question if the seller can afford a 9k watch then why are the quality of his pics lousy? Can he not afford a decent camera?

I can't pinpoint what is it.. I have a rep myself. And a friend of mine has te gen.. But this one.. I don't know what it is. Can't put a finger on it. HEV also tricky. Should be a little inside the case.. This one looks exactly flat with the case.

But like I said the pictures are bad, very bad.

So why does one put up bad pictures? Because he can't make a decent pic ( not one is!) or is he trying to hide something..maybe a real expert needs to share his opinion here. I am just a DSSD enthusiast, but I do not have enough knowledge to make a final judgement based on the crappy pics

But there are 2 things here that make me think it's gen.

1. The bezelteeth.. They look perfect.

2. The sides of the bracelet also look perfect. They are not straight but slightly rounded on the edge where the polished meets the brushed finish

Edited by GMTlover

The first pic is certainly a different watch. The finish on the bracelet is perfection--and no scratches like in the other pics.

I'd say the first pic is a gen, rest is a rep..

I think you are correct. First gen, rest is rep. I am 100% certain. The 6 o'clock marker has a very different shape in pic 1 and 2 Edited by GMTlover

I not sure that they are the same, but the point is, they are crappy photos. if it's selling as a genuine, that's and expensive  watch. you need crystal clear photos, not this blurry crap. Also I would like to see the the paperwork and a photo of the movement, but better yet, if he is local, ask him to meet you with the watch at a Rolex AD. Tell him, if the Rolex watchmaker can take the caseback off, and authenticate the watch as genuine, you will buy it on the spot, plus pay for thewatchmaker to examine it. If he says "Sure, no problem, I'll meet you at XYZ Jewelers tomorrow at 3 PM, probably a pretty good chance that it's OK. If he hems and haws around, makes excuses and doesn't sound willing to have the watch examined, thank him and walk away. 

Got in touch with a massive dealer in preowned watches. They do verification, so I might try to get the seller there. If he balks, I guess it's time to keep looking.

Ask for a clear shot of the rehaut engraving. No one ever looks on a DSSD because the thickness of the crystal makes it hard to see, but it's usually an easy tell.

Also, I'm with the other folks--the first pic is of a gen and the rest are of a rep. Quite obvious.

Although I'm looking for the tells and I don't see them, apart from horrible photos. The insert engraving is platinum not white and you can see reflective flecks. The dial has the correct 12800= spacing. The triangle is slightly curved. The pearl isn't that awful pimple that most reps have. Anyway, if I can get it verified properly, I'll go for it, else no. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you have to question it. You are having doubts about the seller. There no such thing as once in a lifetime deal. if you are having doubts, just walk away.

Plus I dont think the DSSD will hold its value long term. Its just too unbalance among other things. 

+1 for what HartDoc said; "If you have to question it. You are having doubts about the seller".