When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shoe care

edgematic1

I'm talking about shoe care for oxfords, monks and brogues.

Sorry, can't help with those.  I wear heavy mountaineering boots most of the time with a Norwegian welt.  I use a wire brush to clean the crud out, then warm them up in the oven a little and rub boot wax in with a cloth.  The oils keep the leather healthy and the wax keeps the welt waterproof.

Mink oil, saddle soap and neatsfoot oil are all good for smooth leather.  I used mink oil on my new axe cover

axe_cover_sm.jpg

Always brush off dirt and wipe off any crap right away. Dont let it sit to dry specially salt...it will ruin the surface. Try not to wear the same shoe for more than 2 days. Have more than one per color so you can rotate and not over wear. I keep a bottle of liquid shoe polish at work for emedgency.

Thanks! I used an ulu to cut the leather, it does a great job. Then a hammer and punch for the holes and 3 stakes and a hammer for the leaves and forget-me-not flowers design. It soaked up a ton of mink oil and it's fairly waterproof. Wax would be better. It also preserves the stitching better. You just know that stitched on back strap is going to fail.

Always brush off dirt and wipe off any crap right away. Dont let it sit to dry specially salt...it will ruin the surface. Try not to wear the same shoe for more than 2 days. Have more than one per color so you can rotate and not over wear. I keep a bottle of liquid shoe polish at work for emedgency.
Thanks but I already did it like that. I was just wondering if anyone uses any specific shoe care they can advice + how to. The shoe polish @ work is a good idea! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

from what I've heard:

1) apply a product to make it water resistant before you wear it for the first time

2) Keep it on a shoe tree to suck out the sweat and oils from your feet

3) Apply conditioner once every 3 months to keep the leather moisturized, even if you don't wear them

4) Polish your shoes with  a color specific or colorless shoeshine every 5 wears (10 max)

Why would you do this at work? You will need to keep the brushes and the polishing cloth there too. That's the kind of thing I'd do at home.

Sometimes when I wear my "suit" shoes and it has rained or snowed a bit you will get white marks in the leather where the moist dries up afterwards (this is salt residu). Use some medium warm water diluted with vinegar. That will pull out the salt. Afterwards use some wax or (coloured) polish.

from what I've heard:

1) apply a product to make it water resistant before you wear it for the first time

3) Apply conditioner once every 3 months to keep the leather moisturized, even if you don't wear them

4) Polish your shoes with  a color specific or colorless shoeshine every 5 wears (10 max)

Why

would you do this at work? You will need to keep the brushes and the

polishing cloth there too. That's the kind of thing I'd do at home.

1) OK, I always do that

2) OK, do that as well

3) Don't do that yet

4) don't do that yet

At work it's mostly for after rain or so? That's what I would guess as it happens to me quite often.

Sometimes when I wear my "suit" shoes and it has rained or snowed a bit you will get white marks in the leather where the moist dries up afterwards (this is salt residu). Use some medium warm water diluted with vinegar. That will pull out the salt. Afterwards use some wax or (coloured) polish.

Thanks for the tip!

Anyone can share the products they use?

Search for Saphir products from France. The reason shoe care with Kiwi or the other commonly available waxes/polishes never looks very good is the quality of the product. You want the renovator and a colored cream. Make sure it matches, because it has lots of dye. Even simple techniques (wipe with damp cloth, renovator, brush, cream, brush) produce fairly good results.

Oh and BOB stands for Bend Over, Baby.

It's what I tell a tree before I chop it down. Honest. :pray:

:1a:

That's a fantastic bit of axe kit, very cool.

With the shoes does anyone have suggestions where the colour of the polish just isn't quite the same as the colour of the shoe?  Do you know what I mean when it's quite a different shade, but at the same time you do want to go over it with sorting out scuffs and so on.  Or maybe that's just my issue...

from what I've heard:

Why would you do this at work? You will need to keep the brushes and the polishing cloth there too. That's the kind of thing I'd do at home.

I did the water resistant thing and boy was it ever difficult to put the shoe polish on afterwards....it beaded and left white spots....had to wash/wipe off the water repellent film.  Then i just used the shoe polish after that.

For work, no need to bring the whole kit.  I use the sponge block that is pre-treated with polish to wipe off dust and minor dirt....and puts the shine back one.  I also keep a bottle with the sponge applicator on top just in case.

In some case, i put a rubble sole (not heel) to protect and prolong the life of the shoes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I always wipe my leather dress shoes with a baby wipe after each use to remove dust, grease, pollutants etc. I only use coconut oil to nourish and shine. I apply the oil using an old cotton sock. Lol.

This method has worked for me for years.

I don't wear the same pair of shoes for more than 1-2 consecutive days max. I either use a shoe tree or simply stuff the shoes with socks during storage. This helps them maintain their shape and resists creasing. post-54180-136826725247.jpg

I can't believe that my first proper post on this (watch) forum is about shoes!! Lol

post-54180-136826704308.jpg

• 1 year later...