When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

seamaster 2541.80 restored by omega...and a great job they did too...

bamcky2k

just picked this back up today on behalf of my dad, he sent it off for a full restoration and a week later was admitted to hospital with flu, turns out a very bad strain of flu that has attacked his lungs and left him on life support...not the best start to the year. i just picked it back up today, and before it goes back on his wrist to be with him whatever happens thought id share some pics. originally from 1999 it had a badly faded and worn bezel, faded second hand and dial lume was abit off, 2 scratches and a few scuffs on the crystal and the case and bracelet wear a mess at best...whats amazing is that it had only had 2 battery changes from new...

anyway heres what was done-complete case and bracelet refinish, new bezel assembly, new crystal and gasket, new dial and hands, movement service, battery change and re-seal, clasp spring replaced...i was stunned when i opended the pouch and seen its new form!

its sad to think my dad may not see it as new again, but atleast now its gonna be on his wrist where it belongs :)

heres the new looking 13 year old seamaster, enjoy

544421_10151468611461998_431487820_n.jpg

65968_10151468614226998_1046855716_n.jpg

419330_10151468610206998_561933791_n.jpg

312334_10151468612621998_346156470_n.jpg

1832_10151468613076998_1117018834_n.jpg

a great job i reckon on a modern classic, and fingers crossed it will have a happy impact when my dad feels it on his wrist :)

sorry about the kinda unhappy post, but my dad loves watches as much as us all and would love to show off this piece, cheers and thanks for reading,

bamcky2k

• Like 1

thanks for all the kind words on my dad guys, much appreciated :) the watch was sent to omega for the refurb. the parts totalled the £470 mark, and just over £100 for the reseal, battery and finish. so yea around 1k in dollars for our american friends! its amazing how they come back looking like new, new parts obviously help, but the refinish of the case and bracelet is superb...it was worth every penny and is now back on his wrist-i coulda sworn his eyes flickered with a smile when i put it on him which was nice :)

thanks again people and glad you enjoyed the pics! my dad is still very ill and is looking at a very long stay in hospital but hopefully this will be a good pick me up for him

cheers,

bamcky2k

In the bracelet they keeped the brushed vs polished "rings"?

My best regards,

yup, exactly as a new one would be! center mirror finish and brushed between, how they do it i dont know...tapeing off the bracelet maybe on the mirror finish parts and vice versa to get the different finishes...but yes, its come back as if you would buy it new. very impressive stuff

Very impressive, on that case!! :))

With the years, my bracelet became very polished and loose that brushed look. Didn's know that Omega can do refurbs. Tell me just one more thing: do you know if your watch was sended to other place (like factory)? Or it was in your local Omega dealer?

Here in Portugal we do not have stores that only trade Omegas, we have stores that sell Omegas and other brands.

My best regards,

Miguel

my dad took it to an AD, it was then sent off to omega, in bienne switzerland i believe. they qouted a time of 3 weeks-it took 7, but worth the wait. check out the official omega website for much more info, they give an in depth write up on what they do when you send them in...i'll try and find a link later and post it :) look up on google images too for some vintage models people have had done, i think they keep parts for watches over 30yrs old which is amazing.

this one arrived back in a red zip pouch wrapped in plastic, and the guarantee for the work done etc. it now has a blue dot seal on the caseback instead of red which was cool too.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/complete-maintenance-service heres a step by step to what they do, theres also a price list on there somewhere for the services but they will qoute you for additional parts etc. hope this helps!

They do also have the service prices available online. Excelent service and I think that I'm going send to them my Seamaster. :)))

In overall I think that my exemple it's in good condition, however I can now see that it never had a proper service. Let me share with you pics that I've took minutes ago:

It's the mid size version:

DSC07781_zps96f83ad5.jpg

The crystal have no damages (as far as I can see):

DSC07786_zps649ab0c4.jpg

For me, the main problem it's the brushed parts be now very polished:

DSC07787_zps5a230707.jpg

DSC07788_zps5036f3c1.jpg

And of course, the scratchs in the clamp:
DSC07789_zps3a386249.jpg

My best regards,

Sorry again, it's one more question, about the prices. :)

According I read you payed £470 for parts and £100 for the seal and refurb. Did you also made a service? In the price list they have 345€ (£280), however I do not get exactly what they do for that price.

Do you know how the prices work?

My best regards,

thanks guys really appreciate the comments of support. i really hope he pulls through to see it as a week after it got sent off is when he fell ill. i was with him back in 99 when it was bought new, he literally wore it daily til it was battered and bruised and testement to the build on these seamasters it didnt miss a beat...atleast its back with him now, he really does love this watch :) they have made a 13 year old daily beater look less than a day old...

and yes the cost included the service and parts that were replaced. your contacted before any extra work is carried out. the mid-size above looks pretty good though...i'll see if i have pics of my dads before the refurb...then you'll see one beat up seamaster!

thanks again guys

bamcky2k

cheers mate, its a waiting game now to see if he recovers...i knew flu could be bad but never thought it could be this awful. he went from being an active 60+ year old to not being able to lift his limbs, move or breath for himself in the space of 48hrs...he's stable on life support right now, but as the days and weeks are going on its starting to not look good. positive thoughts though and all that :) thanks again for the comments everyone,

bamcky2k